2012 Colorado Flat Tops Wilderness Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by 14erfam, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

Re: Colorado Flat Tops Wilderness 2012 Rally

Yes, already having a good time, camp all setup and heading to the river below Stillwater dam I hear its great right now. Daytime temp's 72, night low 40's. I'll post some photo's while I'm here.

2. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Hi Fred!

Yes. I was sitting about the same campfire as Mike. But I had made my decision over the course of a year, really. But since I've gotten the truck camper, all I see are popups on the road! ha! I see them everywhere! I don't see many truck campers... anyway, this decision was based on many things, and was carefully considered. I'm liking it! It sits really tall on my truck, though... I can't go through most drive-through's now, though... if I'm not really careful, there will be a you-tube video of me taking down some over-hang, or somethin'. heheh

Looking forward to your pics! I've never been to the area you're fishing... so I'm very curious about it!

Plumbing issues... they'll finish Monday (which will be day 4 of a one-day job!). I've sold my ATV to help recover some of the money I'm having to spend. Actually, a young military (Air Force) couple came yesterday, and wanted it. He wanted to give me a check (on a Louisiana bank) and I told them I'd hang on to it until they could bring me cash. So the ATV is still in my garage, awaiting their return.

In the mean time, I'm getting my truck camper set up! Putting my things in there, doing this and that... it's always exciting to make a camper truly "yours", you know. *smile*

See ya's

Kim

3. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Ya know....I was sitting around that same campfire as Mike, and I did NOT see anyone twisting his arm or holding his camper hostage until he "volunteered" to be the head honcho of next years rally. Hmmmm...yeah, I think he brought this on his own self. Anyway, it looks like a +1 spot he has chosen for next year. I can't wait.
    MR

4. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

He just has to learn to run faster. When some one starts looking for volunteers you have to know how to RUN!

5. Nitty Gritty

Nitty Gritty I love RVing!!

Good to see you made it back Ogeer! Tell the Mrs Hello for me. And give Harley a belly scratchin :D It was so nice boon docking with you both! I am wishing we never left I am still not ready for home life reality. I enjoyed getting away from chores...lol! Hi Fred!

6. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

The Bearman clan is a yes just get a date set and I will make the time. Looks like a great place and I have never camped in that area.

7. Hotpeper

Hotpeper Member

Count us in. If there is any thing that we can help with please let us know. We live in Craig, CO and this sounds great. It will be our first rally.

8. Mosbyranger

Welcome to the club Hotpeper. A splendid time is guaranteed for all. Looking forward to meeting you.
    MR

9. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Even though I live in far SW Utah (3 miles from AZ and not much farther from NV), 2012 CO Rally may be in the realm of reality. However, DW work schedule and emerging family obligations are always a wild card. It would be great to meet some great forum members! Flat Top Wilderness sounds truly inspired and an OK drive for me.

10. Nitty Gritty

Nitty Gritty I love RVing!!

Hello Hotpeper & NJGuy!

11. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Welcome Hotpeper and NJGuy! The Flat Tops is truly spectacular even with the fire damage around Trappers Lake. Hotpeper, you live pretty close by! My guess is you may know this area well! NJGuy- the drive will be worth it!

We still need to hone in on a date, preferably sooner than later. For those interested in reservations, the only available are in the North Fork campground, which is dry camping. If we hold to late July, we should be able to book sites as soon as February (6 months ahead).

12. Mosbyranger

NJGuy- welcome. If you are able to make it, you probably will come by way of Grand Junction. Let us know and we can possibly head up together.
    MR

13. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Thanks! We will probably make this part of a longer visit in Western CO. It will be a nice break from desert heat.

14. Miles2go

Miles2go Mountains Baby

If we're not in Banff at the time, I'm probably in. Access to the southern boundary of the Flat Tops Wilderness is nearby. One of my secret get-away areas. [PUC] [TV]

15. campr4fn

campr4fn Member

This sounds great! We discovered North Fork this summer - absolutely gorgeous. On her way to the restroom, my wife was greeted one morning by a moose..
    Fantastic camping...[​IMG]

We'd prefer the earlier suggested date in July. We've never been part of a camping rally, but have camped frequently to particiate in jeep events - that's close!

Thanks for organizing this; great location suggestion!

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We're beginning to toss around plans for next summer, and are considering adding the Rally onto the beginning or end of our main trip. The weeks of July 23 and August 6 are still best for us, we're actually leaning toward the latter date, so it will mesh better with other things already on the calendar.
    We're hoping we can schedule things to make it to the Rally, it was lots of fun this year.

17. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Glad to have you on board Miles2go and Camp4fn!

Yes, thats definitely the North Fork Campground! - soft velvety ground surrounded by thick aspen stands and willows. Along with the White River just across the street, this is prime moose country! Nice pic. Everyone should probably also know that Northfork is the only one that takes reservations, if thats important to you. I'd like to have at least 5-6 campers in there though so I can get the official rally thread started in Feb!

Forgot to mention- the Flat Tops scenic byway is approx 60 miles long from end to end (Yampa to Meeker). There are no facilities in between and likely you'll be driving between campgrounds and fishing holes once you're back there. So please gas up in Meeker or Yampa before you get back in there!

I also recommend approaching from the Yampa side if convenient. Ripple Creek and Dunkley are two fairly easy passes with jaw dropping views of the Flat Tops area.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

More than likely, we'll be making reservations if the week chosen works out for us, so we'd be in North Fork.

19. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

I'm big on making reservations as well :) I'm really looking forward to next year as this year was amazing!

20. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Nice! I believe we can book up to 6 months in advance. So I'm hoping we can confirm a few reservations in Feb.

BTW Lauren, Hannah sure loved "hanging" out with your kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.