2012 Ranger Rear-ended - Bent bumper

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Marina Lavagnino, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Marina Lavagnino

Marina Lavagnino New Member

As we were bringing my new-to-me Aliner home to Massachusetts from California, we were rear-ended in a chain reaction crash while crossing the Mississippi River approaching Memphis. The truck that hit us hit the spare tire, which probably 'spared' us more damage.
    The outside bumper, which holds the support for the spare, got bent in. The spare support punched a hole in the shell of the Aliner. We are so fortunate that the damage seems pretty minor. It barely impacted the inside storage, and did not affect the bed at all.
    Any suggestions for getting the bumper straightened?
    How about patching the shell?
    I'm attaching a few pictures.

Attached Files:

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't the driver who rear ended you submit the damage to his/her insurance?

xxxapache, WVhillbilly and erond like this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Get ready. The ins will most likely total it

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Sorry for your misfortune.

The good - The person that rear ended you is 100% responsible for the repairs. There should be zero arguing from his/her insurance company, and if they do argue, they have zero leverage. You can call all of your shots unless it is totaled, then you show them your receipt and what you just paid and they must pay 100% of that amount. Your insurance does not need to get involved what so ever if you don't want them to be.

The bad - As joet said, the insurance company will probably total it. The damage is major.

More good - If the camper is totaled and you think you can repair it yourself, you can buy it back from the insurance company, minus the salvage value.

I hate dealing with claims adjusters. They will rip you off any chance that they get. Remember - The insurance company is not there to protect you, they are there to make money for the company.

You may also want to inspect the tow coupler on the tongue to make sure it did not get bent and check the frame for the same. It looks like the camper took a pretty big hit.

Best of luck!

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

It may be "totaled" but it sure seems fixable to me. Find a decent small shop that deals with odd jobs like this (welding, etc) and they should be able to help.

Did you really make this cross-country trip solely to pick up the camper? Wow.

PointyCamper likes this.
  6. Marina Lavagnino

Thanks for the question! We might do that. We have some information about the two vehicles involved. There were 3 accidents on the bridge, and we were in danger of causing another, Our damage seemed minor, so we chose to continue on our journey (with 4 more hours to drive that night) rather than sit in the traffic. My Mom still owns the car and carries the insurance in California, so the hassle factor seemed greater than the cost to repair.

But we still need to figure out what kind of business might make the repair.

7. Marina Lavagnino

I'm not going that route!

PointyCamper likes this.
  8. Marina Lavagnino

I have to think about that. It didn't feel like a big hit when it happened. I saw it in the rear view mirror and the truck behind me took the major hit. But it might be stupid NOT to get it properly fixed, as I don't know if I might want to sell it at some point. In a 3 car accident, who is responsible for our damage - the car that started the accident or the car that was pushed into us?

9. Marina Lavagnino

Mom called me in January and offered me her car and her Aliner. We had already planned a skiing trip to Taos, NM, so we shifted the plans to fly into San Francisco to get the car and trailer. Then we drove to Taos, skied for a few days, avoided the huge storm by delaying our departure a day, and then made it to MA in 4 days. It really should have been 5, as you just can't travel as fast towing a trailer! I'm happy to have the trailer.

tfischer likes this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

In Florida, the person that hit you in the rear is responsible. The theory is they were following too close, or going to fast to stop. I agree that you should take it to a professional and get their opinion and their estimate for repairs. Good luck

11. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

My ex wife backed me into a woodpile with a 1 year old $14,500 popup camper. The wood pile fell and puncture holes into back of laminated forest river garbage. It cost $2500 to fix and paid by insurance.

12. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Welcome to the Aliner family from AZ.

Sorry about the accident. The person who rear ended and damaged your trailer is responsible for not keeping a safe distance from your trailer. They are responsible for repairs and or replacement.

It may seem to you as minor damage BUT it created an opening for water intrusion and weakened your back wall. If not properly repaired, it will become a greater problem later.

There’s a guy named John Pfeil who’s got tons of skills and experience with repairing Aliners & other Aframes. His company is Midwest Aframe Repair & Service Technical Support page for Aliner owners. You can find him on Facebook. He comes highly recommended and conducts his own Rally’s each year.

Good luck with your Aliner.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

13. erond

erond Member

One of life's unfortunate lessons.... get your insurance involved even if somebody else is at fault. Let them deal with the other driver. Get insurance information even if it is "minor". Not that everybody is evil and out to get you, but the driver the hit you could go to their insurance and police and say that you caused the accident (even rear-ending) and because you didn't report it you get to prove what happened rather than the other way around.

14. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

They get totaled often due to the cost of repair. The going rate in OKC is $125/hr. Remove & replace bumper 2 hours. Remove and replace spare tire carrier 0.5 hours. Remove & replace exterior sheet metal 8 hours. Remove and replace luan 4 hours. Replace laminate 2 hours. So, you are over $2000 before parts and that assumes no frame damage.

xxxapache likes this.