2013-2014 IIHS crash ratings on full size pickups

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Storm Trooper, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Re: 2013-2014 IIHS crash ratings ons full size pickups

And how exactly is a Honda Ridgeline considered a LARGE pickup? That addition alone makes me question the entire comparison. I am not knocking Honda's at all, I happen to own a Civic and have owned others that I love, but to consider a Ridgeline a large pickup indicates a serious flaw in the entire comparison.

3. Storm Trooper

I agree with you Rocky, But and this is a big BUT (LOL). The US Government classifies the Honda Ridgeline as a full size pickup in their crash testing.
    The IIHS does their testing along the same categories as the Federal Government, so I can't fault the IIHS.
    But I think the Feds need their collective heads examined on this one.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I remember when the ridgeline came out, guy I knew was going on how Honda was going to own the pickup market now that Honda was making a "truck". I told him to buy one and put a 5th wheel hitch on it and go towing and get back to me.

5. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I think the classification has to do with passenger compartment size and if it has a bed.

I think it should have it's testing done with the Oddessy and Sienna.

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The insurance institute for highway safety and the highway loss data institute.....................Imagine that.

"Both organizations are wholly supported by auto insurers and insurance associations."

Splains it all to me [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    Brought to you by the fine folks that give you those great, fair, reasonable prices on your insurance. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

7. Storm Trooper

Hey Desi, did Lucy ever make it with that long, long trailer???? [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

BTW, when the Cafe mpg of 54.5 mpg takes effect, you're going to see Chevy Volts with a 2 ft pickup bed. [:O] [:O] [:O] [:O]

8. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I showed my DW the new safety ratings and suggested we buy a new Ford Truck (for her safety of course). She just laughed and rolled her eyes. I am thinking that as a new truck is not in my immediate future.

9. kpic

kpic New Member

I had a Jeep CJ7 once. 60 Minutes ran show on how unsafe the CJ5 was and the insurance on my CJ7 increased. However, the good news was I did receive a safety bumper discount which was interesting.

http://www.austinjeeps.com/front3.jpg
    CJ7 safety bumper. [LOL]

I don't want to be in an accident no matter how safe the vehicle is supposed to be.

10. Storm Trooper

Regardless of whether or not your vehicle did well or poorly on these tests, they are standardized tests.
    What you pay for insurance is related to how well the vehicle tests and how well it performs in the real world.
    I remember their were no seat belts, just a parents hand reaching across the seat to try and hold you back.
    We've come a long way since then. Some good, some not so good.
    But a whole lot safer than the 1950's cars were. They had a nice solid steel dash to hold you in. [:O]

11. kpic

kpic New Member

I'm not too sure that is correct.

"You probably already know that factors like your age, your driving history (including auto accidents) and driving record points (including traffic tickets), and how shiny and new your vehicle is can affect how much you pay for auto insurance.

However, these are just a few of the factors that affect car insurance rates.

For example, did you know that where you live can cause an increase or decrease your premiums? It’s true. Providers tend to offer lower insurance rates for folks who live in rural areas than they do for those who live in bigger cities. Your marital status, occupation, credit score, and any gaps in coverage you’ve had in the past can also play a role in how much you pay for auto coverage.

With so many different factors in play, determining whether you’re getting the lowest rates possible might get confusing.

Fortunately, we’ve compiled a wealth of information designed to help you learn more about the kinds of factors that affect car insurance rates―and what you can do to change them now, work on changing them for the future, or work around them to ensure you get the best rates for your coverage and budget needs."

http://www.dmv.org/insurance/car-insurance-rate-factors.php

Another good read: http://www.dmv.org/insurance/how-auto-insurance-companies-calculate-risk.php

There are a lot of factors, but crash tests weren't one of them.

Edit
    I learned that with my Volvo which is one of the safest vehicles, but one of the expensive ones to repair.

12. mike3887

mike3887 Mike

Maybe she wants a Toyota??

13. Storm Trooper

kpic,

You are correct that other factors are part of auto insurance calculations. I didn't mean to insinuate that crash testing was the main factor.
    Despite what that DMV.org site says (notice the disclaimers at the top of the page and the bottom), IIHS crash data and the Highway Loss Data Institute calcs are part of auto insurance calculations. Those disclaimers are not there because DMV.org wanted them, you figure it out.

Who do you think funds the millions of dollars for the IIHS crash testing and why do they do that? The Insurance companies of course.
    The better your personal driving record (no accidents or tickets), the better your credit rating, the less your vehicle insurance is affected by the crash testing.
    But when you have accidents and tickets and a poor credit rating, the IIHS crash data and HLDI rating play a bigger part of your premium.
    Having lived near the Insurance Capital for over 60 years, many of my friends work for those same Insurance companies.
    Keep your record clean and the IIHS and HDLI will probably minimally affect your auto insurance.
    Be careless and you will pay.

Here's a number of articles on the IIHS.
    http://www.esurance.com/safety/crash-tests-safety
    http://voices.yahoo.com/how-cars-safety-rating-affects-insurance-rates-7164562.html?cat=27
    http://www.insweb.com/auto-insurance/crash-test-auto-insurance.html

Oh and that Volvo safest? They certainly don't have any ethics....
    http://articles.latimes.com/1991-08-22/business/fi-1522_1_federal-trade-commission
    http://library.thinkquest.org/17067/protect/ftc.html

14. kpic

kpic New Member

The 2012 Volvo S60 is currently the only European luxury sedan that achieved a 5-Star NHTSA crash test rating in each of the three crash tests, including the rollover rating AND has an IIHS Top Safety Pick.

http://m.barriervolvo.com/new-iihs-crash-test/

Speaking of Volvo and the NHTSA is the only organization who tests roll over in addition to front and side crash worthiness.

The other factors are majors, as a senior citizen married, no accidents, no tickets and an excellent credit rating who drives a corvette, trust me.

A bud's family owns a salvage yard and as anyone who has every been to a "pick and pull" noticed you don't want to be in any vehicle in a wreck.

15. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

At 17 MPG. It's a wonder they sell

16. Jayko

Classified with Mini Vans? It's a truck!

17. Jayko

I just pulled a Toyota Tuckandrolla out of the snow bank with my Silverado

18. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

The chassis is a modified Pilot chassis which is a modified Odessy chassis.
    The drive train even comes from the Odessy.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

19. Storm Trooper

Ford did a great job designing those Volvos during their ownership.
    Here is the full crash testing report by IIHS on the Volvo (not an edited version from Volvo).
    http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/volvo/s60/2012

20. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Well that proves without a doubt that the Silverpuddlo is the better vehicle [::)]