2013-2014 IIHS crash ratings on full size pickups

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Storm Trooper, Dec 27, 2013.

1. supton

supton New Member

A while ago I was deciding what vehicle to get, and did a bit of reading up on the Astrovans. They had miserable crash performance--BUT--oddly enough one of the lowest deaths per mile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Astro

I like crash ratings, but the best crash is the one you never have. Any of these v ehicles is apt to be better than what we used to have even ten years ago.

2. kpic

kpic New Member

Ford re-designed Volvo to make them safer?

"In 1999, Volvo sold its car division Volvo Cars to Ford Motor Company for $6.45 billion. The Volvo trademark was shared between AB Volvo, where it is used on heavy vehicles, and the unit of Ford, where it was used on cars. Volvo stopped posting profits in 2005,[vague] and in 2008, Ford decided to sell its interest in Volvo Cars."

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2000&make=Volvo&model=S70
    In one year, Ford re-designed, re-tooled and started production of the S70 earning:
    1. 5 star NHTSA Frontal Crash Test
    2. 4 star NHTSA Side Crash Test
    3. All the highest rating except acceptable for the Structure/ safety cage for the IIHS Frontal Offset Crash Test.
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2000&make=Volvo&model=S70

I've heard Ford has better idea, however a one year total redesign and into production?

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=1998&make=Volvo&model=S70

Especially as the ratings were the same for 1998.

"Many of us have a soft spot in our hearts for Volvo. The Swedes always tried to build a good solid car. Safety and the environment came first even before such features became fashionable. Volvo avoided gimmicky styling and 500 horsepower specials. Yes, Volvos could go fast, but they were not show-off cars, well, hardly ever."
    http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/14/volvo-ford-sweden-oped-cx_jf_1014flint.html

Volvo was known for safety long before Ford bought them.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

kpic,
    You as a self proclaimed Volvo aficionado would know that the S70 was in production from 1994 and discontinued in 2000.
    That one year argument is well, I'll let the others decide.
    The S60 was introduced 2 years after the purchase, but you already knew that.
    It has tested well and continued to do so.

Note below ads were Volvo years, not under Ford ownership.
    Anyhow for those of us who didn't fall for Volvo's deceptive advertising over the years.
    In 1971 Volvo had a TV ad with six Volvo's stacked on top of one to show their roof strength.
    Turns out that they were all wooden cradled to distribute the weight.
    Not to mention that anyone might wonder how four tires would support the weight of 7 Volvo's without blowing out. [:O]
    Those Michelin's were really good. [:O] [:O]

Or in 1990 when a Volvo ad showed the Monster truck Bigfoot rolling over a number of vehicles crushing all of them except the Volvo.
    Hmmm, turns out that the roof of the Volvo had been strengthened while the other vehicles roofs were cut and weakened.

For many years Volvo perpetuated the myth that their vehicles were so far superior to others.
    In reality they were good, but Volvo corporate ethics was not part of their culture.
    Gross exaggeration certainly was.
    These weren't the only phony ads, just the couple I can remember.
    Some people will believe anything they see on TV, but I'm not one of them.

We'll see where Tata Motors takes them....

4. kpic

kpic New Member

The point was Ford didn't design it and it was safe before Ford bought them.

The organization you mentioned awarded them a high rating.

Yes, Volvo lied in an advertisement, so has Ford, GM, Dodge, and others. That is why they all have safety recalls. Unless you trying to say only Volvo lied in an advertisement, what is your point?
    First you said Volvo was safe because Ford bought them, but "S70 was in production from 1994 and discontinued in 2000." I show it was safe before Ford purchased Volvo and you stated "S70 was in production from 1994 and discontinued in 2000" which was my point.

No, I am not a Volvo aficionado, I am a Corvette aficionado. I bought a Volvo once, same as all the rest, I drove it and maintained it. I like and dislike all vehicles equally, so I am not a fan of any except Corvettes.

2010 Volvo S40 4-DR. w/SAB
    http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/1990-2010+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=5512

2010 Volvo XC90 4-DR. w/SAB
    http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/1990-2010+Vehicles

1992 Volvo 240DL 4-DR.
    http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/1990-2010+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=3090

1998 Volvo S70 4-DR. w/SAB
    http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/1990-2010+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=3820

2007 Volvo V70 4-DR. Wagon w/SAB
    http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/1990-2010+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=2145/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=5518

Notice all the "5-Star+Safety+Ratings" in the URLs? That means Volvo and others are sorted into that group.

"Explanation of 1990–2010 compared to 2011

Starting with 2011 models, NHTSA has introduced tougher tests and rigorous new 5-Star Safety Ratings that provide more information about safety feature performance and crash avoidance technologies. Because of the more stringent tests, 2011-newer model ratings are not comparable to 1990–2010 vehicles."

The above is why some of the links show not rated for certain tests; the reason is at the time NHTSA didn't test those items.

Would you like me to look up other Volvos? FWIW, a Volvo is a safe vehicle it is one of the things they do well. However, to end this waste of time, I'll accept your Volvos are unsafe no matter what IIHS and NHTSA state.

I am more concerned with where all the foreign companies are taking the profits from the American companies they bought, than tata motors.

5. Storm Trooper

KPIC,

1st : This thread was about IIHS safety testing on pickups.

2nd :
    You stated that IIHS crash testing has nothing to do with insurance rates. Definitely not true.

3rd : I never stated Volvo was not a safe car. Read it thoroughly. I did question their Corporate Ethics and their deceptive advertising periodically over 20 years.
    I am at a loss to understand what safety recalls have to do with false advertising as you suggested.
    The case I cited was Volvo being taken to court by the government for deceptive advertising. And yes, my point is that I do have a problem blatantly deceptive advertising.

4th : Read what I said again, I said Ford did a great job designing those Volvo's. No reference to safety at all. I happen to like the looks of the newer designed Volvo's.

5th : Since this was an IIHS safety thread, I pointed out the link to IIHS directly rather than a Volvo's site edited link that you provided.
    6th : I did say they were good here, didn't I????? Corporate Ethics is another story.
    7th : Again, where did I say Volvo's were unsafe?
    Lastly, If you wish to continue posting links about Volvo safety, for whatever reason, please feel free to rant in another thread.
    This thread is still about IIHS pickup safety ratings.

6. kpic

kpic New Member

Re: 2013-2014 IIHS crash ratings ons full size pickups

Only you're allowed? My sincere apologies, so I am warned as you continue, well sure and see ya.

7. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

The new body style Silverado and Seriara just received a 5 star safety rating.

Just saying

8. Storm Trooper

Jayko,
    You probably already know that the five star rating is NHTSA and not IIHS which has a bit more tougher testing and is what the original post was about.
    The five stars were on three of the four tests NHTSA does. Commendable to be sure, but they did not score five stars on the four tests.
    It will be interesting to see how they do on the IIHS testing.

9. flighht2k5

flighht2k5 New Member

So?

10. flighht2k5

flighht2k5 New Member

Is the seriara a new model?

11. Jayko

The tundra is Not a very dependable truck sliding into a ditch is it?

12. supton

supton New Member

What does that have to do with anything?

13. Jayko

Not a darn thing. Just saying.

14. Jayko

We all know these threads stay on track, never wandering...

15. flighht2k5

flighht2k5 New Member

What in the world does sliding I to a ditch and reliability have to do with each other? I've seen plenty of Chevys and gmcs and fords and everything stuck. It doesn't prove anything.

16. Jayko

It sure made my truck look superior to yours...when is the last time you pullers a Silverado out of a ditch with your Toy truck?

17. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Looks to me like you are fine in your GM or Dodge as long as you don't roll it over. Show of hands. How many of you have rolled your full sized truck over?

18. Storm Trooper

Well, in the Northeast, the vast majority of roll overs are high center of gravity 4wd vehicles.
    They drive them fast in bad weather and think they can stop them fast. They can't. [:O]

19. flighht2k5

flighht2k5 New Member

What does pullers mean?

20. Jayko

Your funny...looking