2013 FLORIDA FALL RALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackpot

Spit, grit & duct tape - What more do you need ?
Oct 27, 2010
Seems like I have been going to the park most of my life, Jamie. I remember driving down there with my friends as a teenager to swim in the river. We always hoped to capture the attention of any girls that might be sitting there on the steps and prayed that we would avoid the attention of anything real hungry under the surface.

I remember taking Cub Scouts there to camp so that we could watch their air mattresses float in the bottom of the tent after a downpour. The downpours usually occurred while we were walking the trails. Walking at the front of a pack of 9 year olds in order not to loose someone's offspring, when they race pell-mell down the trail and out of sight into the brush, is like trying to stem the flow from the spillway of Hoover Dam.

My family has camped at HRSP so many times that, to this day, the words Hillsborough and picnic elicit an involuntary shudder from my youngest daughter. (Of course, there was that unfortunate incident with the tree frog in the shower when she was in middle school...)

I have given black pot demos there, occasionally, over the years. Most of the rangers that I have worked with are now retired. [{:)] [CP]

cuckoo

Super Active Member
Sep 7, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Looks as though we have a wagon master in training... Called the other day about that pavilion you speak of and they said the same thing... We'll analyze they situation and see were we are at when we get there! [:D]

Blackpot

Oct 27, 2010
Sorry, Frank; not trying to steal your thunder. It's just that Kamp-Dixie always gave such great reconnaissance reports. Will stop myself before I tell about the shortcut to the takeout site, the new grocery store and the griddles at the tables in the snackbar by the pool. (Oh, SNAP, I've already let the cat out of the bag!)

jmcclung11

Super Active Member
Aug 10, 2008
Fishersville, VA
I still haven't heard back from Kampdixie...The portal shows he was last active on August 9th, so he is around.

KAMPDIXIE WHERE ARE YOU!!! WE MISS YOU!!!! [:)C]

cuckoo

Super Active Member
Sep 7, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Oh Joe your doing a great job! Keep the great information flowing... Somebody has to keep this thread active! [:D]

Now let me go get to packing up... [CP]

DAVE?
Well at least he was active... That's a good sign. Was inactive for quite awhile. He'll probably read this and think of us as stalkers... [LOL]

carolsaucier

just the 2 of us
Aug 11, 2009
Palm Bay, FL
Hey Frank now you have not only an assistant Wagon Master, but a Historian as well. You are doing such a good job of educating our group. Maybe Sandey will learn of other interesting parks we haven't visited for our Spring Rally.

Have fun this weekend at Longpoint

Blackpot

Oct 27, 2010
Cuckoo said:

It may be that Dave is at a remote location. YEAH. That's it ! I can almost see a mental picture of him. WAIT. Waaaaaiiittt ... I can picture it as plain as day. He's having a conversation with someone on a space station!

"Good morning Dave". "Hello H.A.L.". "You haven't accessed the Portal in some time, Dave. Is everything alright?" "No. It's not, H.A.L. There's this huge monolith floating near the station and I feel like it's trying to communicate with me. It's like a hundred people on a peninsula are saying they miss me". "That is not strange, Dave. You are very well thought of by the quirky group of humans who sleep in mobile canvas shelters and shared charred animal flesh and fermented grain beverages with you". "I know, H.A.L. I'll communicate with Professor McClung and let them know that I will be getting together with them as soon as we return to Earth". "We'll see, Dave. We'll see..." [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

sandykayak

Dec 31, 2002
Miami FL
Heh heh. Just ordered this

http://www.amazon.com/National-Service-Camping-Guide-Edition/dp/1885464436/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp_46_HG8P?ie=UTF8&refRID=0H6HF4QBDRPKZ8E9ZZH7

I like Manatee Springs SP a lot. Esp. since u can walk to the springs. Has concession with hamburgers etc, playground canoe/kayak rental. Haven't been for several years.

Private but really good and they have now added an RV area and pool complex. They take Passport America.

http://suwanneeriverrendezvous.com/

Oops..got carried away... This is for a separate thread

cuckoo

Super Active Member
Sep 7, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
OK guys and gals we are a month out.. Will be sending some a private message to get the adults first names so we can make a camp roster. Makes it a little easier to introduce your self while walking around... Names with site numbers and so on. If a couple of folks might like to volunteer to get some plates and utensils that would be great... Remember we are looking at close to 150 peeps! Every thing will fall into place as usual. We will be organizing a canoe-kayak trip most likely for Saturday morning but we'll spearhead that as it gets closer... As mentioned before if you have something your looking to fix up for the dinner post it up and we'll add it to the list. What ever your comfortable with... Another thought for the dinner is some one or two may want to volunteer to cook some burgers or dogs for the kiddos. Just an easy suggestion...

Looking forward to a great time... [CP]

danard

Jul 17, 2010
So I fixed the roof, removed the decals from the entrance side, painted 75%, mended a couple tears in the canvas and now I hear Homecoming game is the 4th and the dance is the 5th. What the heck people? That is why there is a calendar! So... deciding what to do. [:(!]

cuckoo

Super Active Member
Sep 7, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
If this involves the kids these chances for memories only come around once. Chances to camp come more frequently... You'll make the best choice... [;)]

Wizfisher

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cuckoo said:
If this involves the kids these chances for memories only come around once. Chances to camp come more frequently... You'll make the best choice... [;)]

Well said. [CP]

cuckoo

Super Active Member
Sep 7, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Morning guys!
Sent out some PM's to get some adult names if you didn't get one it's all good! Please check out the attendee list and make sure the info is correct. I think some of you may have kids that are not included in the count. Not a big deal but somebody may be planning an activity and would be good to have a guesstimation of those attending... [SUN]

Wildwoodflower77

Jun 10, 2012
Not sure where to advise but looks like we'll have two kids instead of one. Our daughter would like to bring a friend so one nearly 8yr old and one nearly 11 yr old for us now. lol

Kimmygr

Jun 20, 2013
Hello all! Looking forward to the BIG meet! I believe I will have 4 adults and 4-5 kids on my site unless my sister reserves her own site (which she hasn't done yet). Yes, I know that puts us 1 over the limit, but shhhh I won't say anything if you don't!

The kids will be 1-11yo boy, 1-16yo girl, 1-15yo boy, and then which ever friend my daughter brings and if my nephew brings a friend.

I still haven't decided what we will bring to the potluck, may end up being a last minute decision as to what I choose. It will probably be some sort of crock pot dish though. [CP]

Status
Not open for further replies.