2013 FLORIDA FALL RALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyoung015

Jul 14, 2013
am not liking what i am reading has anybody else got a phone call canceling there reservion have tried calling the ranger station twice today but line always busy

tampajim

Feb 26, 2006
Brandon, Florida
Frank, I'm having to cancel due to family commitments (daughter's out of town competition). If needed, I can run up to the park on Saturday and see what the current conditions are for the flooded sites. I live about 15 minutes away from HRSP. Let me know.... shoot me an IM on FB if needed.

Jim

Kimmygr

Jun 20, 2013
Sounds like it is pretty much a hurry up and wait with fingers crossed kind of situation. If they cancel it do you get a refund? Or just a rain check/credit? I am curious to know.

Wizfisher

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2009
Kimmygr said:
Sounds like it is pretty much a hurry up and wait with fingers crossed kind of situation. If they cancel it do you get a refund? Or just a rain check/credit? I am curious to know.

They refund the full amount of any days you are not there that is canceled on their part due to flooding, storms, etc.

fred51465

Aug 14, 2013
I was able to get through by phone today and my site #77 was not flooded. I'm hoping we get some good weather and the camp conditions change. A lot can happen in ten days, keep on checking something might open up.

Kimmygr

Jun 20, 2013
One more question for those who are avid campers of the Tampabay area, are there any other campgrounds, public or private, within a reasonable distance of HRSP? That could be an option for those whose campsites are flooded, that is, if they are not overpriced.

Thank wizfisher for the answer of my cancel question!

fred51465

Aug 14, 2013
Wizfisher said:
They refund the full amount of any days you are not there that is canceled on their part due to flooding, storms, etc.

They offered me a full refund because a friend's site was cancelled.

clif1025

Nov 8, 2012
Cuckoo said:
So they cancelled your reservations Clif?
Rain should be gone as Matt said... Figure it would dry up on a long dry week... [SUN]

They left a voicemail for us to call them back, which my wife is going to do today. But my friend Chris, who was in site 57 did talk to them and was told that it would take several weeks for that area to be available for camping. He cancelled his site, but was able to find one open site at #103. However after reading what wildwoodflower77 said about that area I wonder if someone cancelled due to flooding already. He is going to call back today to see. I am curios to see if they tell us it's not possible to camp there or to wait and see. Seems like people are getting some different answers. I think, like TampaJim said, we might take a quick run out there Saturday morning to look things over. I guess we will know more as it gets closer.

clif1025

Nov 8, 2012
OK, DW just got off the phone with the park. We actually had 2 sites in our name, 55 and 56. They were calling to say site 55, and some of the other sites in the middle of that loop, are now a small pond. Our site, 56, is supposed to be OK. So, it looks like we might be doubling up on our site for now. If you are inside that loop you might want to make sure you are going to be OK.

tampajim

Feb 26, 2006
Brandon, Florida
Kimmygr said:
One more question for those who are avid campers of the Tampabay area, are there any other campgrounds, public or private, within a reasonable distance of HRSP? That could be an option for those whose campsites are flooded, that is, if they are not overpriced.

Thank wizfisher for the answer of my cancel question!

You have a couple of options, Dead River campground is run by the water management district. It's just to the south of HRSP by a couple of miles on US 301 but sits on the Hillsborough river too which is suppose to crest this saturday. It's strictly semi primitive, no power but they have a bathhouse and water. The group site can hold about 30. Lazy Days RV has a full service campground on their facility which is about 10 minutes from HRSP. Other than that, not much of an option. Hopefully, it won't be an issue.
http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/lh-dead_river_park.html

Kimmygr

Jun 20, 2013
Thanks for that info TampaJim.

I am hoping my family group sites (83,84,87) are all OK, especially 83 &84 since they will be in tents. I don't think I would like to camp in mud with tents, so I don't think they would either. I'll wait till probably wednesday of next week before i call and ask about mine and theirs. Fingers crossed...

Status
Not open for further replies.