2013 FLORIDA FALL RALLY

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by cuckoo, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdplus3

jdplus3 Member

Wow Frank you have a good memory. Two of them played lacrosse and DW coached the girls team, hard to believe that's over now. looking forward to this rally.

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

A freaky GOOD memory to know my Boss's name, I hope he knows his number too [8D]

3. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Freaky Good... Maybe... But that to me is one of the most intriguing parts of the rallies. Being able to spend a small amount of time with most everyone of the campers and learning the vast array and diversity of those involved. Having never watched live or knew anybody that played lacrosse peaked my interest. Pam you also have a TV mounted outside your bathroom door or did have at one time that could knock your noggin. Not that I have ever visited your bathroom or drank booze with your boss... [;)]
    Those little things stick with ya and make the entire experience worth the effort.
    P.S. glad you found your cart the next day... [:D]

Oh... Are we welcome on the 4th?

4. tampajim

tampajim New Member

Site #8 please......
    Also, while the park has canoe rentals the best run on the Hillsborough is located about 6 miles downstream. There is an onsite outfitter called Canoe Escape at the launch site (Sargent Park) for a 3 hr, 4 mile paddle to Morris Bridge Park. They provide all the transportation. This is probably one of the best scenic stretch of wild Florida paddling. The river has about a 1 mph flow so it's pretty effortless and the outfitter keeps the trail cleared of any obstacles. If anyone is interested in doing this paddle probably Sunday, let me know.

5. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

A mini DOG it will be! Although both my dogs are biggy size. The Pupster (Carly) is oversized now)
    Last time I made the Rally I think there were 4 DOs. Maybe this time we'll get some more in the mix.
    I'll have to check out the BSA DO recipes, find something good like Cajun PBJs...
    Really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

6. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

Tampa Jim,
    Thanks for the great info on the paddling trip. If we can squeeze in a extra day I'll be bringing the canoe.

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Yes, to the 4th Frank and Dave is off today/tomorrow so told the Office that I'll be leaving asap Tomorrow for Peace River and it would be time off without pay that I'm saving paid vacation for October and they said OK!!!! I'll be making my reservation when I get back next week, Lord, please make sure there is a site left, Amen. [8D]

8. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

They'll be sites... Enjoy the weekend!
    Jim thanks for joining in and the info!

9. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Jim, glad you are making this one. Just don't cancel!!! We are arriving on Thursday and leaving on Sunday. The kids have that Friday off from school, so we will probably let them take a "sick" day on Thursday.

We definitely want to do a trip...I'll have to see if I can borrow 2 kayaks from a friend for the kids if we don't have an additional 2 by then! But, our trip will probably have to be on Friday or Saturday. We'll see as it gets closer to October.

BTW...I'm ready for October...it's getting too hot already! [:D]

10. campermom

campermom Member

We will be on site 32 Thursday -Sunday [:D] looking forward to another great weekend :) :) Maybe by then I will even have my back up skills in better shape and it wont take me an hour to park the PUP.

11. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

Anything less than a hour & nobody will notice. We have been known to draw a crowd, DW directing & me backing in.

12. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

Glad to be joining everyone again! I hated we mised the last 2 but with Kelllie starting the new job last October it just made it tough.

13. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Site 8 - TampaJim
    Site 11 - Darlene
    Site 18 - Reel Nauti
    Site 19 - Campingfever
    Site 21 - Skipit53
    Site 23 - Kelknight84
    Site 24 - Bjess
    Site 25 - Cuckoo
    Site 28 - Jmcclung11
    Site 29 - Gibby
    Site 30 - CJess
    Site 31 - TheShulaShack
    Site 32 - Campermom
    Site 33 - Carolsaucier
    Site 35 - Blackpot
    Site 38 - Clif1025
    Site 39 - Craig57
    Site 78 - Jdplus3

14. billangiep

billangiep Member

Driving south on hwy. 301 yesterday (work related) passed over the Hillsborough river bridge and the river is extremely low. About a 1/4 mile south of the park entrance there were two places to buy firewood , another two miles south of that was a small propane fill station.

15. billangiep

billangiep Member

Just booked site #48 for Thursday - Sunday
    We need an excuse to hang the tacky lights [:D]
    Will be bringing the kayaks along but not sure about the river access, anyone know how far it is from the launch to the parking area ?
    We may just use http://www.canoeescape.com/welcome.htm and do a shuttle ?
    Looking forword to meeting every one !!!

16. Blackpot

Blackpot Spit, grit & duct tape - What more do you need ?

Glad you are coming, billangiep, and looking forward to meeting you. Right you are about the firewood vendors. I have never bought from them, though. You can also purchase firewood in the park. There is also firewood available alongside the road in Z'hills, North of the park.

I stopped down at Sargeant Park to get some info on Canoe Escape myself today. The guy that I talked to was very helpful. All of the price info is on the website that you listed. He said that the depth of the river that time of year runs around 5 - 6 feet. They have the trip laid out for a stop every 2 hours or so. If you book for a 4 hr trip and poop out at the 2 hr mark, they may refund part of the fee charged when you catch the livery back. You can also rent canoes at the State Park.

There are several clips on Youtube that will get you in the mood and give you an idea of what to expect on the river. One is titled "Natural Escapes In Tampa Fl".

Oh yeah, the launch in the park is across the road from the pool. I don't know if you would want to carry the yaks from the camping area, but there is usually plenty of parking near the launch. The river is less than 100 Ft down the hill.

17. Gibby

Gibby Don't count time, make time count !!!

Morning All, does anybody know if there is a put in up stream so you can take out at the park? We'll probably bring the family barge. [KK] Feels like summer already down here and ready fer the Rally...

18. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

Will be there over Memorial Day, I will check it out. I remember there was one maybe a 1/2 mile before the campground, but do not know the depth of the river at that time of the year. I use to live on the river in Tampa and depth was controlled where we lived. Anything else I can check out, please let me know. John BTW, we will be in site 8 Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

19. Gibby

Gibby Don't count time, make time count !!!

Thanks for the info John, hopefully you can make the Rally!

20. billangiep

billangiep Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.