2013 Livin Lite Quicksilver 8.1 fair offer

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by vulcan classic, Feb 21, 2013.

1. vulcan classic

vulcan classic New Member

After considering all the advice from forum members we have changed course from a "too heavy for my Jeep" Rockwood 1970 to a brand new '13 Quicksilver 8.1. I kind of discovered these by accident but absolutely love the all-aluminum design and light weight/ tow ability for my Wrangler.

A bit pricey though at $10k MSRP (10th Anniversary Edition) The dealer I spoke with just got a truckload of Quicksilvers in and they have a couple 8.0/8.1 models, all have the anniversary packages, which includes the LP system, stove, furnace and some other nice features. I would likely put a 2-3" lift on the suspension (torsion axle) and 15" A/T tires for ground clearance.

I have no idea what the dealer cost is so trying to prepare an offer price. IS 20% below MSRP (or $8000) unrealistic? This is my first RV purchase so not sure what to expect.

The dry weight is just under 900# and GVWR is 1500# so should be good fit to my Wrangler.

2. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Doubt 20% is realistic but offer, all he can do is not accept, then listen to him and counter offer!

3. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

20% is probably equal to his cost on the trailer.

4. vulcan classic

Wow! Really? I've always heard there is a pretty hefty markup on RV's compared to automobiles, like 25-35%.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Many dealers no longer handle PUPs because the profit margin is so thin. You can certainly ask for 20% off but I suspect you'll get a quick refusal.

Once your negotiations get closer, consider alternatives to money when seeking concessions. The dealer may not be able to move further on price but may be willing to throw other things into the deal for no cost or low cost. I got an installed Class 3 hitch, break controller and wiring system for free as part of the deal when I bought my Yuma a few years ago. I also got 50% off on some accessories. Look for things that are low cost for him to give you and would be higher cost for you to get on your own.

6. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

We bought our 2011 10.0 QS in summer 2010. Ordered exactly what we wanted. Got most of the options available. Paid $8000 with taxes.

There is only àbout 150 lbs difference between 8.0 and 10.0. That's why we went with the 10.0
    We appreciate the extra room.

I know the QS prices vary greatly, depending on area of country. We got ours in Michigan. They are made in Indiana. Cheapest price is from the dealer down the road from the factory in Indiana.
    Mark up prices vary greatly on these units. Try some online dealers to get some prices.

There is a Yahoo QS group.

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I would love to own one to tow with my Jeep Liberty. Good luck!

8. JerseyPopUp

JerseyPopUp New Member

I could have had a 2010 Quicksilver 10.0 for $4000. Thats what the guy owed on the loan. I think its still available (in NJ)

9. vulcan classic

Well I'm going to look at a couple tomorrow, one is 8.0 w/ two 4 ft beds and the other is the 8.1 with the 5/3 beds. Both are 10th anniversary Edition which includes most options and wood grain Azdel cabinets. NADA shows these with $10k MSRP vs. the base model which is around $8800.

10. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Holy cow! That's a great price. These units really tend to keep their value due to the limited number available, and lack of direct competition.
    I'd hop on that deal in a heartbeat. You could turn around and sell it for a decent profit if it is in good condition.

11. JerseyPopUp

JerseyPopUp New Member

I have already purchased a traditional popup. I did like all the pro's to this unit, but the con's were a factor also. Plus $4000 was on the upper end of what I wanted to spend. The tax return this year was not much more than that.

12. vulcan classic

Well I just got back from dealer, they basically balked at my $8000 offer with $1500 down, for a Quicksilver 8.0 with 10th Anniversary Edition package. The best they would do is $9100 before tax/tag. Even after I showed them a 10.0 Quicksilver with exact same options on RV trader for $9300, which is 5 hours away, instead of 1 hour away. FWIW, per NADA the price difference between a 8.0 and 10.0 base model is only about $700, with all options equally priced. The price difference between base model and 10th Anniversary Edition per NADA is $1330 for both the 8.0 and 10.0 models.

So they are only willing to go 10% below MSRP. Of course they went on about quality of service, and that the other offer was likely a wholesale dealership, etc, etc. I argued that quality of service is not important on a small lightweight pop up which I would be comfortable doing maintenance myself, and that I expect to offer a fair profit over cost.

They did not want to show the invoice, only the mfgr's MSRP sheet, and the A/C, bunk fans, levelers, Azdel cabinets, etc. and convenience package were extra.

13. JerseyPopUp

JerseyPopUp New Member

If you are willing to travel, I can see if that one is still available. It is located in central NJ. Yes it's a haul, but at $4000 it seems worth it. He just wants to pay the loan off.

14. vulcan classic

That is a great deal. However I am interested in the 8 foot box, I plan on lifting it 3" and adding 15" A/T tires and taking it off road so the shorter length is preferred. Also a bit of a haul up to Jersey and back.

15. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

You do know that Livinlite makes the QS with an offroad package? Might just be cheaper overall to get it that way from the factory. Worth checking out.

16. vulcan classic

Yea but pricey over $1000

17. vulcan classic

Well, working on a second offer, from another dealer out of state. This offer is for an 8.1 model, 10th Anniversary Edition with Convenience Package, A/C, blackout package, price is $8860 (vs. MSRP $ 10780) out the door. They will include full LP tank, battery, 2 free nights at their campground, dinner, and a tank of gas for my TV, since I would be traveling 4.5 hours from out of state. They claim this is basically at cost, but want to move inventory, and had a slow month, etc. So $653 less then previous offer. It also has the 5/3 bed bunk combo and metallic Charcoal paint which I prefer, so may consider it.

18. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Bad time of year to ask for concessions with camping season getting underway. You likely will do better asking in the fall if you can be patient.

19. vulcan classic

Still winter here, LOL!

20. vulcan classic

Well we pulled the trigger on the 2013 Quicksilver 8.1 for $8450 (MSRP was $10780), have to pay the highway use tax/tag/title back in NC when we get home. Headin' over to TN on Friday morning to pick her up! Hope everything goes well!