2013 Rockwood 2318

kimlovescamping

Aug 28, 2012
South Carolina
Gas man... we too are looking at new Rockwoods. We looked at the 2318 and then decided we wanted the upgraded storage compartment that comes on the 2518. Are you shopping in Anderson?

Hopefully, we will pick ours up in Feb.

BTW, if you are at Lakeside shopping... they offered to throw in some bunk lights for us with the 2318.

kcandstinger

Oct 12, 2012
We have a 2013 rockwood 2514g, and it has not leaked and we have been in terrible rain storms. We have camped in 12 parks since August and have not had any problems with leaks in the canvas even with 5 days of hard rain at Hillborough river, had a few tree frogs in the camper, and had to walk through 4 inches of water to get into the camper but no leaks. We were afraid the canvas over the sink or in the pull out would leak but they were fine.

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
Old_Geezer said:
Baron, to be fair that is not just Forest River who has that problem, its every manufacturer. When the RV building season heats up they call on the temp labor sources. They all only keep a core group of employees. The same temp guy who blows the staples through the water lines and wiring, and strips the screws out in a Keystone this year, may be blowing them through the lines in a Forest River product next season, and a Jayco the next. Unfortunately that is the way the RV industry works.

Anyone heard how Columbia NW is doing qualify wise with their Coleman line?
These are Sales numbers from 11/12:
Forest River was the folding camping trailer sales leader for the nine months with a 44.4% market share while Jayco (19.1%) held the No. 2 position followed by Forest River’s Coachmen RV division (10.9%). In the park model segment, Thor was No. 1, posting a 27.7% market share, with Kropf Manufacturing Co. at No. 2, holding a 10.8% share, and Skyline Corp. third at 9%.

If Sales mean anything in terms of Quality issues.

BigBaron

Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...
Jun 21, 2012
The different brands are built at different plants, so I have to presume that the quality is different, too.

Rockwood seems to be higher up the scale in quality than Viking/Coachmen.

All I know is when "I'm told" that they don't have drawings for the construction of the trailer, nor wiring diagrams, it's not confidence inspiring.

I wish I could go to an RV show and look at all the different trailers. The first thing I'd do from now if I were buying a trailer is ask them to remove the converter so I can see the wiring behind, and look at the wiring under the trailer.

CamL48

Super Active Member
Feb 20, 2012
BigBaron said:
The different brands are built at different plants, [...]
I don't believe that's entirely true. My research has shown that Flagstaff and Rockwood are built in the same factory, with the only difference being branding and fabric colors. Other Forest River brands (e.g., Palomino) may be in other factories, with different cultures, different practices, etc. Berkshire Hathaway is known as being very hands-off on its opcos and they don't necessarily talk to or benchmark with one another.

Rockwood 2318G = Flagstaff 228D
Here's a 228D for $9,900, and that's the advertised price. Never seen a dealership actually get what they list a trailer at. No AC. Add a grand for the shower/hot water option.

So, the $11K that you're being quoted is an average price. I see that price all over the internet right now. Doesn't mean it's not good. Just means it's not great.

Here's a great price. $9K for a 2013 model, no AC. That's in OH, but gives you an idea of the difference between an average price and a great price. Only you can determine whether it's worth the time and effort to drive to a great price.

Also, every brand has that same floor plan ... sort of. The other brands (other than Rockwood/Flagstaff) all have a front storage box on that floor plan. Jayco 1206; Palomino 4127, 6147, and 6149; Flagstaff 228D and 625D; Viking 2385ST and 2485SST; Starcraft 1224; and Fleetwood/Coleman/Somerset Utah (only Somerset is current).

May be worth shopping around these other brands.

Good luck.

BigBaron

Jun 21, 2012
I meant that the sister brands are built at different factories. Viking/Coachmen at one, Flagstaff/Rockwood at another,...

Forest River main web page

about Forest River

FRHistoryMap.jpg

gasmandave

Sep 6, 2011
Well I pulled the trigger and bought the Rockwood at Lakeside RV. Actually will pick it up next Wednesday when I can get my tow vehicle in for them to put in the brake controller. I had looked at and older model Rockwood 2518 with the front storage but we chose not to go with a front box as I have a tendency to pack everything and the kitchen sink if I have room. My mantra is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it...unfortunately most of the time I don't need it. Soooo...to make DW happy we opted out of the front storage box.

apopkabob

May 8, 2012
Gasman congrats on your new rockwood be sure to post pictures when you bring her home8)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

kimlovescamping

Aug 28, 2012
South Carolina
gasmandave said:
Well I pulled the trigger and bought the Rockwood at Lakeside RV. Actually will pick it up next Wednesday when I can get my tow vehicle in for them to put in the brake controller. I had looked at and older model Rockwood 2518 with the front storage but we chose not to go with a front box as I have a tendency to pack everything and the kitchen sink if I have room. My mantra is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it...unfortunately most of the time I don't need it. Soooo...to make DW happy we opted out of the front storage box.

Let us know how the service is there at Lakeside... we are hoping to get ours next month from them. Did you get them to negotiate under the flyer price?

So excited for you! We probably walked through yours last month when we were there!

BigBaron

Jun 21, 2012
Congrats! I can't wait to see the new addition to the family!

gasmandave

Sep 6, 2011
Will do on the pictures once I get it home.
Lakeside wouldn't come off the flyer price but threw in a grey water tank, not much but was something. I don't know about bunk lights as this one comes with one already.

Kimlovescamping; So you walked through mine eh?!? I was wondering who that was...LOL. Can't wait to get it out and get it broke in.

gasmandave

Sep 6, 2011
Kim, service was good so far, they walled me through everything and winterized it for me and set up my TV with the brake controller.

kimlovescamping

Aug 28, 2012
South Carolina
Good to know about the service. They have ordered the 2516 and it should be here in a few weeks. We are excited. My DH wants to pick it up in early March and head to Davidson River campground right away! We need some practice with no electricity. I would like to wait another month, but he'll probably win this one!

We are now thinking we'll have them put the hitch on the manvan along with the brake controller (and charge line).

Have you taken it out yet?

gasmandave

Sep 6, 2011
Kim,
Haven't taken it out yet. Picked it up Wednesday and it was to dark to open it up at home, Thursday was the ALL day rain event with winter mix for the PM. Friday it was pretty iced up so I didn't want to open it yet. Not sure how the vinyl coated canvas will like being unfolded when it's this cold. My DW wants to take it to Davidson Campground in Pisgah NC for our first outing.
PM sent.

BigBaron

Jun 21, 2012
The canvas will be fine. We did ours in -10°C with no problems.

RotnMom

Am I there yet?
Apr 4, 2011
Be careful if you have the plastic windows! They definitely WILL crack if it gets cold enough inside and you try and mess with them. That has to be taken relative to your weather too.

What I would do with my Wrangler plastics in the Winter was just NOT open them if it was really cold. Out of habit, DH was leaving for work one day and hopped in, unzipped the window, went to tuck it in (inside) and SNAP! Instantly, we became duct tape rednecks. [LOL] [LOL]

You'll learn fast how to judge the rigidity..is that a word? LOL

[:D]