2013 - Texas Fall Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by WendyLouWho, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

Re: Rally...all info in one thread, schedule included

Yay! Jeff is on board! Glad to have you [:D] I can't wait to meet everyone. I have only met Txbum (Richard) and his amazing wife. All PUP people are wonderful.

Txbum...are you bringing your teardrop or your PUP?

2. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

We had a mini rally at Palmetto State Park. It's right outside of Gonzales. (I think it was in 2010?) Very nice place. Lots of trails. Don't know how central that would be for everyone but we had fun. The rally at Inks was great. There were a lot of people there.

Phoodieman

3. Indy

Indy Member

Palmetto is great for me too - only a couple hours away.

4. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Hi all, ready to discuss POTLUCK??..... I can bring a brisket & sausage....or I was thinking of serving some Big Bird! Like in turkey....what y'all thinking? Txbum....Rounding up firewood for camp fire will try to bring some extra for others to use.....WendyLouWho...which camper should I take? The Destiny pop up or the Colorado push up?..... [PUC] [PU]

5. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Txbum I think we were all just gonna bring what we would normally eat and share as opposed to having specific people assigned to bring "x". The group is growing so it may get a bit confusing. I'd say just everyone makes sure to bring all walks, i.e. veggies too, so we aren't all bringing slabs n dogs! I've got a few adult beverages in a mason jar on order for all to try.

6. WendyLouWho

Okay, several have pm'ed me about the rain there. Leisure Resort is closed this weekend. Sorry, been sick/sick/sick and out of touch. I left a message for Sheila.

While I was sick our dryer broke, our a/c fan went out and our disposal burnt up the motor. When it rains it pours...so all my hard work and sleepless nights for vintage inventory reduction sale that made me sick is going to repair stuff! Not to mention the new dishwasher that has been in the works, lol. Right now it's called "a drying rack [LOL]" Have to laugh or I'll cry. That money was for PUP redo's!!!

Richard that blue PUP Wheel Wagon might be yours if I can't pull it together and figure it all out. I Have to call Ken. So stay back so far! [;)]

Richard is a first class griller. We were planning on bringing bratwurst, broccoli salad and something sweet. I am not a breakfast person but I guess I'll have to bring some because if Finn smells it she will invade your camp and give you puppy eyes.

It's rained like mad in Comanche also (where other jayco pup is located). We really need to get up there and check out levels, PUP, electric, etc. but dh wants me to rest.

7. Txbum

Ok, I will bring different stuff to eat and share. Don't know much bout spirits, any one teach me how to make a whiskey sour? What do I need, I have whiskey . Txbum

8. skeetercampsintexas

My spirits are pre masde apple pie, and strawerry leonade mixed with a bt o' grain [:D] excuse tthe tupos. Its friggin freezing out here for opening day!

[​IMG]

Here is my current camp setup!

[​IMG]

9. Txbum

Skeetercampsintexas, ay ya ay!!!! mucho frio amigo....buena suerte....(good luck and too cold)......nothing like that first shot!!! Txbum

10. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Gettin close guys. I wonder what the weather is going to be like.

Phoodieman

11. skeetercampsintexas

Hopefully good campfire weather! Love my heated matresses on those nights!

12. Txbum

Hey skeeter, explain those heated mattresses, are they ( mattresses) for the pop up?...I need to remember to pack my pop up's mattresses into the pop up before we leave. I usually don't leave the mattresses in the unit after camping. I clean all cushions and store them in the house, spray for insects , check canvas, before storing unit. Txbum [PUC] [PU]

13. skeetercampsintexas

The heated matresses were actually "factory" when we bought our flagstaff. Its an entire matress with a heater coil and a plug in area on the side. You hook up the power cord and select level 1-6. I've noticed that they don't make a HUGE difference during the night but if you leave them on during the day and make the bed it will be nice and toasty when you decide to turn in for the night. Justice could be done by saying it would be just as easy to get a heating blanket, but since this came with the pup and wasn't a mod, I'm fine with that [:D]

14. Txbum

skeeter, I was puzzled as first read, I saw a mattress pad under the sleeping bag in the truck, and I was thinking wheres the cord?What does does it connect to? thanks for clearing this up. Oh did you get a doe, or a buck? Txbum

15. skeetercampsintexas

TX Rally...all info in one thread, schedule included

Ahhhh...well for the opener I had no pup. Just some sleeping mats and mummy bag. Lucky me I got to sleep in the first frost of the season! I actually watched my does come in saturday morning. Yesterday morn I wasn't in the stand for 30 mins, same as always when my does come in with thw young ones, I decided yesterday morning to take my eldest doe as she's getting pretty old. Got down to track her about 20 mins after the shot, standing in the middle of the food plot and here comes one of the bucks I wanted to take! He is a small 7 point from an odd line of deer that I didn't want in the herd.

So in conclusion, I took a doe and a buck within 20 minutes of each other.

16. Txbum

Re: TX Rally...all info in one thread, schedule included

skeeter, I see , congratulations and thanks for practicing conservation techniques. Culling is good for the herd. I am waiting to here from some of my buddies on how their opening weekend went. I live in a rural area and I heard quite a few shots around . the day before the OPENING .... I sorta bagged a doe. I mean the doe decided my company van was in the way and rammed into the front passenger door did a 180 and slammed the side cargo door. Nice size doe put a couple nice sized of dents. I have deer feathers to prove..." I" didn't hit the deer, the deer was at fault and hit me! The safety officer said ok, you don't need remedial driving lessons. Whew...damn doe got up shook it off and last I heard was visiting a law office. Something about cruelty to wildlife....Txbum

17. WendyLouWho

[LOL] Well, really, I am glad you were not hurt! Those deer are tough on cars!

Skeeter...you are a tough on! Glad it was worth it.

18. WendyLouWho

Okay, Texas Puppers! I am trying to get back in the game after being so sick. I sincerely apologize for my absence.

I just tried to call Sheila again but the offices are closed. Donna assured me previously that they would be up and running and ready for us this weekend.

My worries are: we will be the first campers (and others there) after the rebuild. What if not all the electric/facilities are up? How high and fast is the river; will is be good fishing? (for those who are into that) etc.

Otherwise, the weather looks fabulous and a little chilly...perfect fall weather for bonfires, s'mores, and those yummy sounding adult beverages of skeeters!

We will be tent camping since it looks like the wheel camper fell through [:(] But head's up...there's a Shasta in my future for sure! And an apache! And a teardrop! And... [LOL] Hey at least it's not the bed of a cold truck [LOL] We've tented camped in freezing weather so this is nothing.

Everybody still game?

19. WendyLouWho

Txbum...I adore whiskey sours!

Here is my recipe for roughly 4 servings:

3/4 cup whiskey (recommended: Rebecca Creek Whiskey)
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 limes)
    2/3 cup sugar syrup (see note)
    Ice cubes

Yum, yum. If it's colder, go heaver on the whiskey (for warmth of course). I still remember my grandmother giving me what she called "hot toddys" when I wasn't feeling well...whiskey, butter, honey? Boy they were yummy and I slept like a baby. I think that was her point. [SNZ]

In the end, I am a beer girl, though. [;)]

Heck, after being so sick, I will be ready for anything if I am up to it.

20. Indy

Indy Member

I'm still trying and planning, and dh is excited. However, my grandma was moved to hospice. I know what the end result will be and that it will be soon, but I don't know exactly when. If I have to drop out last minute, I hope everyone understands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.