2014 Coachman Clipper floor water leak thru bed box angle??

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by mtbdudex, Jul 29, 2017.

1. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

We just came back from a 2 1/2 week out East trip with our 2014 Coachman Clipper.
    [​IMG]

During the trip, the aluminum angle by the door the screws came out, upon removing the angle I saw water leakage under the flooring.
    We don't use the shower/toilet ever, so it's gotta be outside water getting in.
    I am drying it out now, then will re-install the aluminum angle with a few more screws.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I looked under the floor and looks like the black covering is properly attached and not tears or openings at edges
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

My best guess is the water is getting in via the lower black angles, there's no clear caulk there like on the door seams.

[​IMG]
    Heck, I could easily put my fingernail behind the angle and see into the box, so definitely it's a water path.
    I'm going to clean that area and put outside clear caulk on the angle edges as shown via my RED markup at the base of the box.

Questions:
    Has anyone else seen similar water damage like this?
    Has anyone else caulked their lower box bed angles like I plan on doing?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  2. Serrels

Serrels New Member

Hi Mike,

I have a 2013 Coachmen Clipper 108ST. Similar construction to yours, just smaller with less options. I'm currently replacing the entire floor thanks to extreme water damage. Until today, I thought, for sure, that the black trim you're talking about was at least partly responsible for the water getting in. I just found out that the trim is not just a 90 deg angle. Here's a cross section:
    [​IMG]

If you pour water into the gap at the top of the trim on the outside, you'll find that the there are weep holes under the exterior skin that should let the water run out (hopefully). What's not cool is that the exterior skin is mostly 1/8 plywood with a plastic exterior lamination. The wood gets wet every time it rains. Not ideal. I guess there could be a chance that water is wicking up and over the trim, but I don't think it would be enough to cause the damage you're seeing. I will be sealing the top edge of the trim on the exterior like you plan on doing, if only to keep the exterior skin from rotting out from the bottom.

Now, in my case, the black vapor barrier under the floor is what made my leaks 1000x more destructive than what they would have been. As I was pulling up chunks of OSB, there was moisture trapped on top of the barrier, pooling in some spots. This was in the middle of the camper far away from leak sources.

3. Jason Barta

Jason Barta New Member

I just purchased the same trailer 1285SST and have noticed 3 soft spots. In front of both beds and in from of the door also. Did you guys try and replace the wood and did the caulking work?? Not sure how the soft spots got created in front of the beds, by guess is when the trailer was closed somehow by previous owners. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

4. Serrels

Serrels New Member

Hey Jason,

I did replace my floor over the winter. But I wish I had read this post first: http://www.popupportal.com/threads/2014-coachmen-clipper-106st-soft-floor.113104

In my case, the 2 or 3 soft spots seemed to be limited to about a square foot each, but when I pulled the vinyl floor up, the whole OSB floor was saturated with moisture and fungus. The floor was so rotted that I was able to break off big chunks with my bare hands for about 2/3rds of the floor.

It seems the source of most of the water, in my case, was from cracks in the plastic top of the front storage area. I fixed those before doing the floor and despite record breaking rain here for the past couple of months, the new floor has stayed dry. I did not caulk the plastic exterior trim like I said I would. Hasn't been an issue. The silicone at the door frame does need to be recaulked, but it hasn't been leaking, so I'll get to it when I can.

5. Jason Barta

Jason Barta New Member

Would you mind PM me on how you replaced the floor?? Thank you.

6. Serrels

Serrels New Member

I would strongly recommend having the manufacturer replace the floor, like others on this forum have done. Coachmen really messed up when they designed this floor system, they ought to deal with it. Even if you have a ton of time and lots of experience with carpentry, 120V and 12V wiring, plumbing, etc, I still wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if you can get Coachmen to do it for the cost of shipping. I usually love doing these types of major projects that challenge my skills, but this one was a pain in the...

7. pkpopup189

pkpopup189 New Member

Hey new to pop ups here, and found this thread because I’m considering a coachmen. I’ve read several things online they had problems with leaks, but seemed to be with bigger travel trailer and pop ups from years ago. I’m narrowed down to clipper 108xls, and flagstaff 176ltd. I like the look of coachmen better. Can anyone help me out if they’ve resolved floor leak issues at all in their pop ups. Any info appreciated!

8. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I would be interested in knowing this too.

9. Clipper 122

Clipper 122 New Member

Any news on this problem, is it still reoccuring. Freak accident or Manufacturer defect?

10. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

I just posted in the other thread, the cost to get this done is $6-7k by General RV in Wixom, Michigan.
    It's so hard for me to believe that Coachman is not stepping up with some 50/50 sharing of what I consider their design defect.