2014 Coachmen Clipper 106ST soft floor

Rainbow Lever

May 14, 2019
Ohio
I am the friend he is referring to. Mine does not have the front storage compartment like some models and the front outside black trim piece which sits at floor level was stapled all the way along it’s length. The staples perforated through the underlay tarp material and went right into the flooring. Any water coming down the front of the trailer would pool inside the trim (no caulking here either) and could go through the holes and saturate the OSB floor. That’s my theory anyways. Whose idea at the factory it was to staple the trim I’m not sure but it seems like a poor design choice! I removed the staples and caulked along the trim. Have kept the trailer covered as well. So far no further water damage has occurred.

We have a 2004 Clipper and will be working on this repair in the fall. We do have a storage box with a nasty crack in the lid, and both ends are rotted out. We got underneath and lesser damage continues along the passenger side from the storage box, under the cassette toilet and just to the right of the door. Looking at your photos, I'm not as intimidated by this project as I was before, so I appreciate seeing them!

Julie&Steve

Jul 14, 2019
So glad to have given you hope with our pics it is exactly why we put them out there because we’re still super intimidated by the storage repair yet to come. And keeping our fingers crossed that our repair will be water safe.well continue to post as much as possible we’re really bad at keeping track of before and process pictures. “ After pictures” all day Long we’ll take pics lol

H20fwlr

Aug 24, 2019
So glad to have given you hope with our pics it is exactly why we put them out there because we’re still super intimidated by the storage repair yet to come. And keeping our fingers crossed that our repair will be water safe.well continue to post as much as possible we’re really bad at keeping track of before and process pictures. “ After pictures” all day Long we’ll take pics lol
Hi. I am planning a floor replacement in my 2007 Rockwood. Could you tell me where I can find the pictures that you refer to? Thanks in advance.

joet

Super Active Member
Mar 16, 2011
Elkins WV area
Its amazing that we can put a man on the moon, yet can't build a camper that doesn't leak..............................

Tia Yukish

Jul 29, 2020
I have a 2015 Clipper 106ST. Last year, I started feeling floor soft spots and now it's the same as Steve&Julie's problem. Another spot under kitchen galley is starting. Starting the process of repair. Highly contemplating what it would taken to drive it to Indiana from Seattle!

Tia Yukish

Jul 29, 2020
This was the beginning of my demolition. I also removed all osb from storage compartment up front. It was mushy and moist... came out in handfuls. My concern is understanding exactly how this happened so I don't repair it and have it be a recurring issue. I think the leak happened a couple seasons ago, and just sat marinading! Any thoughts on how this happened and how to repair leaks?

Attachments

• 5968C6EB-A594-4C6C-AA7C-B14197CDD724.jpeg
    5968C6EB-A594-4C6C-AA7C-B14197CDD724.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 37

Prb1963

Apr 17, 2021
I am new to this form but I too am experiencing the same issue. I just brought a 2012 Couchmen Clipper 127 st. The price was right and I knew there was a leak. Mine seemed to be leaking on the bottom part of the trailer in the corners where the top sits. I found there was some wear there and the plastic that was covering it was broken. Under it there was a gap about 1/8 inch and no caulking. So the water over the winter ran off the roof and right into the gap. Thankfully it is contained to the storage trunk. I will be using an industrial adhesive to seal the corners, plus use a rubber pad (if it doesn't cause to much of a gap) and plywood to fix the floor.

bobokk78

May 14, 2022
I have started the dreaded task of replacing the floor. I found Menards has a PVC 1/2 4x8 sheets of synthetic plywood. I am going to try this.

Attachments

• CCCA8E0B-5DBE-4DD3-94DA-892DBCFEAC2D.jpeg
    CCCA8E0B-5DBE-4DD3-94DA-892DBCFEAC2D.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 11

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
I have a 2017 Viking 2108ST (front storage trunk). The front corners are soft and mushy. I have tried many things, still haven't found the root cause.
I know for sure that the marker lights were letting in a ton of water (when i took them out the wood was mushy right under them) so sealed all the marker lights on the trailer. The storage box had epic cracks all between the top of the lid and the trailer, and also running down the side of the box just beside the lid. I waterproof taped basically the entire storage box. The two strips of metal with the plastic trim fit into them, that run up either side of the end of the storage box, I removed the plastic trim and found all the screws under them were rusted, so replaced them all and wrapped sealant around them and their heads. I sealed up the bottom piece of trim right along the front, and put a drip edge under it so that water wouldn't wrap around to the trailer, and also caulked all the staples holding it in. The black trim that sits in the two end pieces of the box... when you watch it in the rain it basically channels all the rain from the roof and box along the side of the trailer, and then seems to deposit it right under the box at an exposed portion of the subfloor right at the front of the trailer. It is that area that i am focusing on now. I think water comes from both the top of that black trim, and underneath it where it runs along the metal box end strips. That is certainly the softest area of the subfloor so i'm pretty sure it is somehow wicking up into the wood. I have tried some drip edges without any luck yet. Next step will probably be caulking or waterproof tape. It is funny cause when we reached out to the dealer, and they reached out to Viking, I was told that it was my fault for not doing the scheduled maintenance (I only had the trailer for less than a year, it was a 2017 but new from the dealer, so sat in their yard for a few years) and that nobody else has problems with soft floor in the storage box.... what a JOKE, everybody with a storage box has this issue!!!! I would love to know if anyone has any other ideas about how to stop the water from getting to the floor!