2014 Palomino Basecamp Saga Continues...

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Kittyhawksurf, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Kittyhawksurf

Kittyhawksurf Work, family, surf, eat, camp.

I ordered a 2015 Palomino Basecamp 12BDG, but soon after arrival I noticed it was a 2014. Come to find out this camper model has not been manufactured for 2015. I thought they did campers like cars and I was going to get the first one released of the season... and since am keeping it in my garage I wanted one in brand new shape. Not one that has been sitting outdoors for the last year and a half. My purchase order clearly stated it was for a 2015 model. I did finally work this out with the dealer, but I thought including that with this post would be evidence to show I have had problems with this new camper from the start.

My latest issue is two fold and I would love some advice if you folks have some time to comment.

When the camper arrived from the factory the dealership discovered problems with the electric winch. It wouldn't raise and lower the top. They ordered a new winch and installed it. The first day I took the camper home the cable pulled from the winch when I was attempting to raise the roof for the first time. After about 45 minutes of troubleshooting and tooling I was able to reinsert the cable into the spool myself and tighten the hex screw. The hex screw is designed to TEMPORARILY hold the cable in place until the cable is wound three times around the spool. At this time I also noticed the gear on the winch's shaft from the motor seemed to be loose and pulling off of the shaft. I could not recreate this problem when I brought it back to the dealership for other warranty service, but I asked if I could order an extra gear for the winch shaft so if it broke while I was camping I could still raise and lower the roof. Raising AND lowering the roof is completely dependent on this one gear which drives the rest. There is no manual override since the manual crank connects to this gear. The dealer said they didn't know any way to order that part, but had an extra winch with that part I could take with me.

When I got home from the first trip I cleaned everything up and I was getting the final step done to put it in the garage when I notice the gear stops spinning. Lo and behold the gear dislocated from the winch shaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY7uEoeXjZc&feature=youtu.be

Guess what? The dealer is now ordering another winch.

My question for all the awesome forum folks here is about the winch cable winding/spooling. The manual for the winch clearly states there needs to be 3 complete wraps of cable around the spool at the start which is supposed to keep stress off the hex screw, but I only have 2 full wraps. I don't believe there is enough cable for a third wrap. When I spoke to the dealership they researched the lift system which states it only needs 1 wrap (according to the dealership). I showed the dealership the manual proving 3 wraps are required, but they nicely stated they aren't going to do anything about it. It seems like Palomino would need to put longer cables on it and I believe the dealership is satisfied with the other answer they got from researching the lift system (which I have not seen in writing).

I called Palomino/Forest River and they are researching, but like I said I wanted to hear the forum folks too.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kittyhawksurf

Sorry to double post here, but I found the Goshen Stamping Company's installation manual including the recommendation that the cable needs to "wrap cable around drum on winch one time..."

http://www.goshenstamping.com/pdf/SPRING_AND_CABLE_CHANGE_PROCEDURE.pdf

So the lift system company says wrap the cable one time.

The winch system says to wrap the cable three times. On page 4.

http://www.goshenstamping.com/pdf/SPRING_AND_CABLE_CHANGE_PROCEDURE.pdf

It seems pretty obvious I need to follow the wrap 3 times rule or it does not meet the winch specifications???

3. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

Is there any way to just order a longer cable?

4. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

This camper is way too new to be having these issues. Return it to the dealer and find something else. Not that all of these campers are lemons, because they aren't, but it does seem that too many things are going wrong, much too soon. You should not have to diagnose the issues of a brand new camper.

Between the electrical issues and now the lift, you have a lemon on your hands.

5. Kittyhawksurf

Yes Ktamsor2!

I just completed my list of what is wrong. After completing the update to this post last night I was confident the dealer should replace the cable. I contacted Palomino and they have been very helpful. They said the cable should be replaced by the dealer and it is covered under warranty. They also said as the original owner I have a lifetime warranty on the lift system. They were kind and told me if i wanted to do it myself they would send the cable directly to my house. He also assured me that the warranty would not be voided if I wanted to work on it. He was nice, but I understand the risk I would be taking.

After contacting the dealership again they finally agreed to replace the cable.

I must say the manufacturer Palomino has been very helpful.

For anyone interested in purchasing a new Palomino Basecamp PUP here is the list of my basic problems after ordering:

-Wrong year camper sent
    -Winch housing not open in the proper area to access manual override. Dealer cut extended opening.
    -Now on third winch
    -First time lifting camper top the cable unspooled from the winch due to improper attachment
    -New cable needed to spook proper amount of times on winch.
    -Gear by override nut on winch broke
    -Goshen lift system missing bolt on master tube bracket (It wasn't even bolted on driver's side!)
    -Camper-top latches unable to be removed by hand (I had to dremel small area on trim to enable proper functioning.)
    -Calking around vent fan is collecting water between the outside calk and the fan installation point
    -Many screws are crooked and sometimes not even screwed in completely
    -Toyloc on camper did not function properly
    -Fresh water reserve does not allow for the last two gallons to be pumped or drained due to location of drain

Everything should be fine... just need to jump through the last couple of hoops!

6. Kittyhawksurf

I don't see how I can return it at this point. Not to mention that It took almost two full months just to get it. I already wrote the check and I've invested a lot of time. I should be able to fix most of it myself by the time this is done.

7. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

With the long list of things already wrong with the brand new camper, I'd have it back on their doorstep and demand a refund. I wouldn't have invested time in fixing the "brand new" camper either. If these are the issues you're having now, I'd be scared of what is to come.

Thus far, the lift system has failed in many areas, and you have an issue with the main electrical for the camper. Oh, that and it's not the year you ordered.

I commend your keeping calm in this situation, they are lucky to have you as the customer, as myself, and most others, would have told them to keep it by now and bought a different camper.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Could you tell us how the dealer handled the wrong year issue? The lifetime warranty on the lift system is nice. I would keep the camper forever and would be making warranty claims 20 years from now.

9. Kittyhawksurf

Thanks for not making this a "your an idiot" post. [:D]

I think your advice is good. I'm just committed at this point. I will hold the dealership to their promise of warranty service even if I need to continue to show them in writing what is proper and legal.

I will chalk this up to an expensive lesson. I ran into a whole lot of red flags during this purchase experience, but due to my geographic location it makes sense to buy from these folks. I would hate to tow the camper back 2.5 hours every time I have a problem.

I sincerely mean "thank you" for your advice. I'm just going to get it as right as I can and roll with it at this point. My first trip with it made memories that will already last a lifetime. I will deal with the rest. Unless I run into a major problem and they don't follow what is fair and just. At that point I would hire an attorney. Never had to do that before and I certainly don't intend on doing it this time. But you never know.

10. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

You're not an idiot, especially being that you can show the dealership what they're doing wrong. You just have much more patience and understanding than I, for the amount of money spent on that unit.

As a side note, I was looking through your youtube page, and the time lapse video of setting up/breaking down the camper is pretty cool! That said, I fear that you will end up damaging the awning hardware of stretching the fabric by raising/lowering the roof before putting the awning away/deploying it. It's one of those things that's just not meant to bend that way, or at least every awning i've had on my campers over the years. EDIT: In thinking about it, is raising the roof that way (with awning hooked up) pulling the roof to the right, or stressing the lift system in the process?

Good Luck, keep us posted, and god speed in getting these issues worked out to your satisfaction. [8D]

11. Kittyhawksurf

Honestly this was the most frustrating part about getting this camper. I am keeping it in my garage and I wanted to keep it in pristine condition. I knew I got a "good deal" on the camper from MY PERSPECTIVE (good price). I really had to sort through some emotions when I contacted the dealer to negotiate the incorrect year. Especially because I was assured it was a 2015 from one employee in particular. Then I called Palomino.

I finally reached the point that this was the camper I wanted and when I looked it over when it was delivered I was satisfied regardless of year. I decided to let the dealer handle it. I told the dealer that I wanted some sort of credit for ordering the wrong year, but I would accept anything. The dealer provided their reasoning and believed I knew I was getting a 2014.

Some people may think I let them take advantage of me, but I was satisfied. And I wasn't going to teach them any lesson. Sometimes you have that opportunity, but I learned pretty quickly that there isn't an emotional investment in me here... at least not yet. It's more of a "move this camper out of here and get paid type philosophy." (No disrespect meant to the employees)

Bottom line is they gave me a $300 credit. I understand that is not what the market would warrant, but I was satisfied.

12. Kittyhawksurf

Good question and I'm glad you liked the video. I have had someone else post on here about that. I was really guessing how I was doing it. I probably shouldn't have taken a video my second/third time putting it up! [:D]

There seems to be VERY LITTLE stress caused by attaching the awning first. The material is more like a rubber than a fabric and it's not very heavy. I have no idea how I would set it up without first attaching the top pieces before raising the camper. The awning is designed in a way that the top poles clip-in right by the roof line. And you need to expand them tightly to get the awning right. I could wait to attach the bottom poles. That wouldn't really matter. Waiting until the roof was raised would cause some serious issues though. I would need to bring a ladder or stand on my truck to put up the awning.

BOTTOM LINE is that I just don't see how the awning can go up without first extending it from the roof. I am VERY OPEN to suggestions.

13. Kittyhawksurf

Sorry triple post here. I just watched the video again so I could see exactly what you were talking about KMH. I think you're right. the awning should be supported by the legs on the ground with the other portion attached to the roofline of the camper. That would make sense. I did that last time I popped it up and it made a little more sense.

14. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I have only seen them set up after the roof is raised, as in left in the bag until the roof was raised, and put back in the bag before roof lowered. Some people bring a small step stool, I am 6'5 so I have never needed one. I have had awnings (being used while roof is up) pull the roof towards the door side enough that the door didn't want to close as easy as it should have, so the awnings definitely put more stress on the roof than you may think.

Maybe throw a post up in the "Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents" section.

15. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We learned several lessons from our experience buying our Palomino M6147 (2011) new. There should almost be a checklist of things to check before it even leaves the dealership.
    We were just so excited to buy a new camper... we assumed everything would be in perfect working order... we were wrong... It took some fighting... we learned t he salesman does not care about what is wrong with the camper... after we spoke to Palomino directly we learned what we needed to do. We talked to a very accomodating and helpful service manager at a different dealership (they have them in several towns... same dealer name).
    I think that camper companies never learned the lesson car companies did in the 80s. Lee Iacoca started the ball rolling... building quality vehicles. Now most vehicles are much better built... campers... still not that great.
    Sorry you are having trouble with your Palomino. Keep on the dealer... make them fix stuff on warranty.

16. Kittyhawksurf

What the??? That's helpful for stuff like this! I'll give it a whirl for a bit and see what I notice. Then I may take that advice and post.

The guys are Palomino have been REALLY helpful. Wish I would have spoken with you guys first.

17. Kittyhawksurf

Figured I'd give a quick update.

I got my camper back today. It took the dealership a couple of weeks due to trouble getting some parts, etc.

I picked it up quickly today, but haven't tested anything yet.

I was told the following was fixed:
    -New winch
    -New cable

And...

The electrical short issue was fixed as well!

18. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

[8D] [8D]