2015 - Alabama Summer Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by niagarafam, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We have noticed that we, Alabamian Portal Neighbors, have grown in the past year. We're wondering if any of you are interested in a rally. AL State Parks has done a great job updating our parks, Desoto and Cheaha most recently. Both are beautiful in the spring and fall. What do you think?
    M&K

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

3. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Depending on location and timing Id love to make a trip back to Alabama for same camping and a rally would be a fun way to do it.

4. xshield

xshield New Member

I'd be up for a rally.

5. thevmctigger

thevmctigger New Member

Assuming my wife and I buy the [PU] we're going to see on Sunday, I'd be very interested... as long as you don't laugh at my newbie-ness.. LOL [:D]

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Thank you so much, yetavon! We may need your advice and help with getting this thing off the ground as we are complete novices with Rally establishing and coordinating. And thank you others, too!

We are planning a trip to Desoto State Park May 29-June 3 (?). It would be after Memorial Day. Desoto has nice new facilities and revamped sites. In addition to the Little River Canyon and the falls, Chattanooga is a short drive. We want to go before it gets too hot and sticky. The fall (like Columbus Day or Labor Day) is also possible, but it would be a more brief weekend set up, and the parks book early due to all of the "Leaf Peepers."

If we can get enough interest for May/June, we can Rally. If not, we can meet and coordinate things for an Alabama Rally campaign. We have some great destinations in our state.
    M&K

7. thevmctigger

thevmctigger New Member

Lake Guntersville is in the same area, not sure about campgrounds as we have never booked or stayed in one before.

Gulf State Park would be good in the Spring or late Fall, too hot in the summer, I'm sure. There's always something going on at the beach.

There are plenty of good state parks to discover. Hope all works out and maybe we can join.

8. yetavon

Your very welcome, I'll do what I can to help out, being I have only done 1 Rally, and it just kind of happened...
    Best of luck getting it going....

9. thevmctigger

thevmctigger New Member

Looks like Oak Mountain has plenty to do and see.. It's in your back yard and not too far a drive from anywhere in AL, so maybe that's a possibility... :)

10. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Oak Mountain is pretty good. The facilities are much better at Desoto State Park, and the proximity to the Little River Canyon, the falls, and Chattanooga make it a much more attractive destination. Plus, the trip this May/June will be our "summer vacation" as we have to stay close to home most of the summer this year. We drive by Oak Mtn. every day on our way to work, so it doesn't feel like we get away when we go there. We also want to take our bikes into Chattanooga; the city has beautiful bike paths, great food and sites, and a wide variety of activities and attractions for all ages.

11. thevmctigger

thevmctigger New Member

Point taken. I wouldn't want to stay there if I drove by it every day either.

I'll have to defer to your knowledge on this one since we're so new to the game.

Come on, Alabama folks, where is the excitement? Let's get something going... [:D]

12. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Okay, I'm taking it from thevmctigger that we now have two ready to rally. I think to have an official rally, we need at least five Portal members if I'm not mistaken. If that's true, then we need 3 more to join the campaign.

Let's say May 29-June 3 at Desoto State Park. We can call it Alabama Summer Rally.

13. thevmctigger

thevmctigger New Member

Marking my calendar!

14. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Okay. We need 5 of us to confirm reservations. We'll make ours in the next few days. Hopefully others will follow suit. We will report here when we have ours confirmed.
    M&K

15. thevmctigger

thevmctigger New Member

Reservations made... NEXT!! [PUC] [TV]

16. camp dad

camp dad New Member

We no longer have a popup but would like to join in if possible. We are attending a rally in Chattanooga the weekend before this through another camping site. If our work schedules cooperate we may shop up last minute if no one objects.

17. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Sweet! Please join us camp dad. I sent xshield a PM and told him to check the thread. We just made our reservations.

Desoto State Park, May 29-June 3.

18. yetavon

I believe I may know the group... [:D]

19. camp dad

camp dad New Member

Probably so, I didn't want to name drop and get in trouble. [;)]

20. thevmctigger

thevmctigger New Member

BUMP... [PU]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.