2015 Aliner Expedition Shower/Bathroom Reassembly

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Thorofin, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

So I'm the proud new owner of a 2015 Aliner Expedition. It originally had the shower/bathroom option, but the previous owner disassembled the bathroom and just kept it in storage.

Unfortunately, I've had a tough time finding information on the shower option. There are very few quality pictures of it, that I've found on the net, so I'm not sure how its all supposed to go back together. We contacted Aliner with some of our questions, and they did their best to be helpful, but unfortunately they do not have any blue prints, or diagrams to show the assembly.

So, I've found a handful of pictures, which will help, but I'm just wondering if anyone out there has removed a shower/bathroom for a repair, and documented the removal to make it easier to put back together?

2. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

Congrats on your new purchase!

i also happen to own a 2015 Expedition with toilet/shower combo. Apparently a very rare option.

I’ve never taken it apart but let me know if you need measurements/pics.

3. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

Thank you. I dry fit the pieces, and it seems like it is fairly straight forward. I only have 2 extra interior support parts that don't have a home yet. Also, where does the shower door go during travel?

4. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

Excellent question. I bought mine used too and it was missing the door when i got it. Have been using a longish towel hung over the “doorway” when one of my little ones need to tinkle in the middle of the night.
    Though if I had the door, I’d keep it on top of the memory foam mattress on the bed. I can’t imagine it moving anywhere once it sinks into that foam.

5. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

Along with reinstalling the bathroom, some of the framing underneath the toilet/shower is water damaged, and I need to rebuild it. I got the recommendation to use Pine or Poplar from Aliner, but I was wondering if anyone had used anything else? I was looking at cedar, as well as some of the PVC composite trim boards, but I was curious what others have used.

6. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

If you can get away with Poplar, I’d use that over Pine unless the Pine is pressure treated. Pre-drill every screw hole. Glue and screw wherever possible.

Also, let the wood acclimate to room temperature (ie, bring it into your house) for at least a few days, and when cutting try to do it around 70 deg. This will allow it to be a middle point for temperature expansion and retraction.

Thorofin likes this.
  7. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

So I decided to go with Sande plywood for the main portions of the frame, with some 1/4 PVC panels to replace the existing 1/4 plywood.

When I measured the framing underneath, I saw that the framing planks were 1" x 7" (actual) plywood. Since I would not be able to easily find 1" lumber, I decided to glue a couple 1/2" plywood panels together to get the 1", then I can cut 7" planks out of that at the sizes I need.

I chose Sande since it's supposed to hold up better to water than some other kinds, and I didn't want to deal with treated lumber inside the trailer. I plan to put a coat of spar urethane on the plywood to add some additional protection. I also purchased 1 x 2 PVC trim to replace the existing cleats which connect the plywood frame to the floor of the camper.

I'm going to go do some gluing now, so wish me luck!

BostonDad likes this.
  8. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

So we've had quite a bit of rain the last few days, and I discovered a leak in one of the dormers, and potentially another leak near the wet bath location. The old frame was wet when I removed it for measurements. There is also another cleat on the floor against the sidewall that is water damaged and will also need to be replaced.

Fixing the dormer leak will have to wait until it's dry enough to actually do something about it (a tarp will work in the mean time).

I know these won't be the only surprises, but I'm hoping there aren't too many more.

9. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

Hang in there. There is evidence of a water leak on my Aliner as well. Specifically in the front dinette area on the floor, but it doesn’t leak for me and my OCD isn’t so bad that I feel like I have to start ripping out the dinette just yet. Ask me again next week!

10. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

Hi Boston Dad, I had a couple of questions for you.
    1. Do you have the Cool Cat option in your Aliner?
    2. Can you post a few pics of the plumbing leading to the wet bath. My plumbing goes from the heater/tank under the sofa/bed to the opposite wall where it was capped off before it turns to head towards the wet bath. I just want to see what the factory plumbing was before I get started doing it myself.

11. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

1. No cool cat
    2. Will take some pics today and upload
    3. still waiting on those door pics...

Thorofin likes this.
  12. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

Here is the wet bath door. It's 21 1/2 Wide, and 47 3/4 Tall.
    IMG_3221.JPG IMG_3220.JPG IMG_3219.JPG IMG_3218.JPG IMG_3217.JPG IMG_3216.JPG IMG_3221.JPG IMG_3220.JPG IMG_3219.JPG IMG_3218.JPG

13. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

That’s interesting. I didn’t realize there was a separate frame with a lower support that leans on the “U” of the base of the shower. Helps a lot actually. Thanks.

Let me see if there’s enough daylight to snap a few pics of the undercarriage. Is that all you need? Underneath? Or do you need pics of the piping inside as well?

14. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

I could use both actually. My priority is the inside plumbing, as that's what I'm working on right now, so I can get the shower base secured, so the toilet will be ready for use. After that I'll be working on the shower drain.

One of the things I did discover is that there are two dead spaces in the base of the wet bath. Once is about 1.5 cu ft, and the other is just under 1 cu ft. To gain access to this space, I've cut out two 5 x 13 openings on the side that faces the sink/stove. I don't know how I want to utilize the space yet, so I haven't decided if I'm going to be doors or drawers underneath, but I wanted to open it up before doing the reassembly to make things easier.

15. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

That’s great. Extra space is always welcome in these things. If possible, I’d consider bracing those openings with extra support from the back side. I would think that two holes that size would significantly decrease the structural strength of the fascia, though you’d have a better idea than me since you’re the one tearing it apart.

i will try to get you detailed photos of the plumbing this evening when I get home!

16. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

So the existing support framing is made from 7" H x 1" D plywood. The fascia is 1/4" plywood. The framing is 4 boards shaped like an E with the cutouts on the long edge between the arms of the E.

Originally, my plan was to use some 8-10" mending plats to add some additional support, but my local hardware store didn't have them. I was able to find some corner braces that I plan to use instead. I am doing that as an extra precaution, but it appears the weight of the wet bath is primarily supported by the arms of the E.

I'll try to get some pictures today to show the framing and cut outs.

17. Tait

Tait Member Gold Supporting Member

I would also be interested in seeing how that works out as I might do the same! Thank you for taking pictures.

I just leave the door at home and use a towel with velcro - the towel is easy to store, lighter, and faster to set up/take down than the shower door.

BostonDad likes this.
  18. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

6458D28B-9236-4432-B7BE-E18CB9B57BC9.jpeg Here is a pic of the grey water plumbing. It’s very simple: one long 2” pipe starting at the shower, and then another sink connection right before the dump/opening. I imagine it has a 3 degree grade.

19. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

Thank you so much for the exterior plumbing. I would really appreciate a few pictures of the interior plumbing when you can, as that's what I'm working on at the moment.

So here are the pictures of the interior base.
    This is the E shaped frame.
    IMG_3242.JPG
    Here you can see the cutouts. Originally there was blocking to secure the frame to the floor, which I moved to either side of the center arm of the E. The blocking is 15/16" H x 3/4" D x 14" W
    IMG_3243.JPG
    Here is the angle from the aisle
    IMG_3244.JPG
    There is a 1/4" plywood sheet that lays on top of the frame
    IMG_3246.JPG
    And a small rectangular frame & 1/4" plywood top that go under the toilet tank
    IMG_3247.JPG
    And this is the fascia with the cut outs.
    IMG_3245.JPG
    My cutouts are around 5" H x 12.5" W

20. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

Oh, I see. Yes that is very well built.

It’s raining here today but will hopefully get you pics tomorrow. I will try my best to trace the plumbing from shower, back.

Thorofin likes this.