2015 - Florida Spring Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Kimmygr, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdy2

jdy2 Member

Re: Florida 2015 Spring Rally?

We're very interested, just depends on our availability.

2. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I've been on this site for 2 years come Easter as that's when I put the PUP in the yard. Since then we've camped at Blue Spring (which gets booked quickly with tourists), though it's a great spot. Oscar-Shear and Wekiwa are 2 that we've considered but just haven't made it. The problem with Tomoka is that there is little to do for the little kids like our 2 DD's. We're water type (snorkel, scuba and swimming) so we look for place where we can do at least one of those and Tomoka isn't condusive for any of those. Salt Springs, however has many things including the spring to keep even my 5 & 7 y/o occupied. The spots are some distance from the water but that may be a good thing. I'm also a teacher and we have to look at the dates closely though this would be our first one and I'll have to talk the DW in joining since we normally like to go when there are few as possible at the park. I'm glad to hear everyone is looking at the Central Florida area as I've seen some in the Tampa area and for a weekend that's tough to do.

3. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

So I believe the park list is as follows:

Tomoka SP
    Salt Springs in the Ocala National Forest
    Oscar Scherer SP
    Lake Kissimmee SP
    Wekiwa Springs SP

Did I miss any so far?

I took Silver Springs out of the list due to the possible difficulty of finding out how many sites are available at which times because of their upcoming renovations. Disappointing, I know. [:(]

The suggestions box will be open until January 20th. That gives everyone about 1 week to make them. Then I'll do a poll to give everyone a chance to vote. [;)]

4. Brian-Katie

Brian-Katie New Member

Hi all...! Late to the party, as usual, but we would definitely be interested in joining in the fun. We had a great time at the last one at Hillsborough River SP. I'm not familiar with most of the suggested parks, except for Oscar Scherer. We've stayed there before and enjoyed it.

I would like to offer that I could help plan, but really don't want to take on the full load. Spring is a busy time for us with Girl Scouts (anyone need cookies? [:)O] [:D]) I'm another stickler about the kids and their school schedules, too.

Glad to see the ball started rolling, tho!

5. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

Thanks Brian-Katie! Looks like I may be the WM for this one, but any and all help would be appreciated once the ball starts a bouncing!

I'll figure out where I could use a hand once a park and dates are set. [8D] [8D] [8D] [8D]

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

your doing a fine job as wagonmaster! you have 5 parks listed to vote on, my suggestion would be to just use those, anymore added would just make more confusion.

7. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

You are right vagov! But, since I already said a cut off date of Jan. 20th I'll just leave it. I don't want to go switching things around and confuse everyone. Plus it gives me a little extra time to see if my refund comes so that I know I can book a site right away. [;)] You are right though, 5 parks are plenty to choose from!

8. Grampawsnazzy

Grampawsnazzy New Member

I agree that Tomoka S.P. may be different than what you are used to. But it does has many options for all. Lighthouses to explore, Ponce inlet and ST. Augustine. Pontoon rentals on the ST Johns river. Rental canoes for the backwater and fishing. The beach. Hiking trails, Fort Matanza, a N.P. site. Washington Oaks Gardens State Park.
    At 5 and 7 my children were happy to play in the campground and watch the deer. They can do that there. Anywhere in FL has something to do.
    It is up to you to expose them to your wonderful state. There is so much to do wherever you decide to go. But trust me, there is still quite a few options for a family to explore at this location.

Grampawsnazzy

9. scubacamper

Grampawsnazzy, yes we've been there on the way back from Blue Spring and we checked out Tomoka but it just didn't appeal to us...and yes we've stayed at others that weren't perfect but neither the DW or I are thrilled with this site until the girls get a little older. It's only just over an hour for us from Jax and as stated earlier St. Aug is up the street, so to speak, (30 min+) but after doing some Recon Tomoka just isn't for us.

If Tomoka is the choice, I sincerely hope everyone has a great time but I won't be able to convince the DW & DD's into camping there, sorry. If it was just the DW & I it would be a different story but that's just not an option. Best of luck.

10. scubacamper

Personally, I like the idea of Salt Springs but that's just me.

11. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

We'll try and make it depending on work and school schedules.
    Any of the locations work for us.

12. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

Wow! I was just going through the old Rally list. Looks like, if we can get the ball bouncing, this will be the 12th Rally for Florida since 2007! That is a lot of Rallies!

Is anyone else getting excited about the prospect of another Rally? I know I am!

13. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Yepper met some great folks and had some good times!

14. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

Subscribed! Hopefully this falls on an open weekend for the wife and I.

15. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

Hey everyone! It is almost time for the poll! Looks like you can only have 5 options for the poll? Am I looking at that right?

Anyway, we took a trip to the RV Super Show in Tampa today and came across another possible idea! There were a few of you interested in Silver Springs, yes? Well, we can't have it at the Silver River SP, but there is an RV Resort close by! It is called Wilderness RV Resort at Silver Springs. Web addy is www.wildernessrvresort.net

Now, I know many are not into that whole resort thing, but this place looks nice via google earth maps. There isn't much privacy between sites, but there is SPACE between them (at least from what google maps looks like)! There is a fenced in dog park for your furry kids to play, swimming pools, kayak/canoe rentals and launch, looks like a place to rent pontoons too (or one nearby). We were talking to the rep and we mentioned that we were trying to get a rally going for all us popup portal peeps. He said they welcome Rallies with open arms and give discounted rates for the campers attending! The discounted rate is $20.50 + tax/night from April -Oct. And they would set aside a # of spots for the rally attendees, but each camper would have to call and state you're with the Rally and want to reserve a site. Also, if we did a potluck, there is a Social Hall (I think he said the social hall) that would be open to participants to have a potluck. I will call and double check on things to make sure there are not any extra fees and to get more solid info. There are also some other amenities onsite.

Now, the one con that many of us would not like is you cannot have any ground fires. There is a communal campfire ring that could be used, OR if you happen to have one of those portable fire pits up on legs you can use those to have a campfire at your site.

So what do you all think? Does it sound like a possible candidate for the poll? Check out the website and plug the address into google maps and check it out. We have until this Tuesday for ideas for the poll! The actual address to see it on google maps is:

10313 East Highway 40
    Silver Springs, Florida 34488

16. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Looks like a cool place!

17. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

That resort definitely doesn't look like a place we would normally camp, but could be great for a rally if the sites we get as a group were right next to each other.

18. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

The poll is up! It will be open for 7 days!

19. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

looking forward to this!!!

FL Bill

20. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

14 Voters so far! Let's get some more voters! I've already PMed about 34 peeps from the two previous Rallies. Some of you have already responded and/or voted! Spread the word!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.