2015 - Indiana Dunes Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by cztardust, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Brrrr! What a bad weather combo going today! Think warm, think warm!
    Hard to believe we'll be on the beaches soon, but it's going to happen... right???

2. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We're certainly not the first folks to have a rally at the Indiana Dunes, but I bet they had great time too!!! Reserve America is still showing some wonderful sites open for the 9/11 rally! Today's campground facilities are "ohhh sooo" modern, the potluck has been upgraded to the beautiful Wilson Shelter and the stage is set for a great time! Sign up now and come enjoy a morning walk on the beach with us! There's nothing like the Indiana Dunes anywhere else in the state, it's location on the lake Michigan shoreline makes it a fun time for all to be had!
    [​IMG]

3. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Still sites available for the Indiana Dunes 9/11 Weekend Rally! Centered around site 135, you can see prime sites awaiting! We're going full out stars and stripes on our site and will be eating like kings at the Wilson Shelter... Come join the fun!
    [​IMG]

4. CamperFam

CamperFam Member

Playdate! [DOG] [DOG] [CAT] [DOG]
    Heidi is 8lbs, soaking wet.

5. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Wow... Fantastic rally @Turkey Run SP! So much inspiration from walking through the rally loop. We all thought it was amazing how creative people were walking by each site and made some great new friends... and the food was over the top. You could see the care and time in each dish everyone contributed. Hope to see a few TR attendees and some of the other local members come over to the 9/11 Indiana Dunes Rally. It was really a pleasure meeting so many of you, it would be nice to see so many happy campers in one place again!

6. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Glad a few more people are talking about joining us for the Indiana Dunes 9/11 weekend rally.
    Like TR we'll be keeping it simple.
    Cold cut and veggie plates on Friday for the meet and greet... We have the Wilson shelter rented for the potluck/cookout. Plenty of picnic tables with a group grill for flipping some burgers and dogs...
    We're really trying for the "big family style" cookout on Saturday.
    The Wilson shelter has the awesome CCC style fireplace and hopefully we can get a few people in on a horse-shoe championship.
    We'll be too close to the 49'er drive-in movie theater not to have a movie night. So I'm really hoping they're playing something good that weekend. The kids would get a big kick out of the giant screen and the 49'er's pizza is pretty awesome!
    Really looking forward to seeing everyone in September and please let me know if you're coming on board so I can update the rally lists [8D]

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I want to take a moment and welcome BigRedKA and his family to the attendee list for the Dunes Rally!!! It will be great to see you out there and what you've done with the "mighty mini" Rockwood since TR!

8. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Something I haven't done in a while... Just checked Reserve America for open sites on the 9/11 weekend for the Indiana Dunes Rally. The rally sites are 138 through 122 and are getting a little tight! There are other sites of all sorts throughout the campground. Keeping the group together is great, but anywhere is A-okay because the Wilson Shelter is rented for the potluck on Saturday. Come make a little bit of Portal history and join the rally at the only State Park located completely in a National Park!
    Hope to see you at the rally! [CP] ABK
    [​IMG]

9. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Trying to talk DH into going solo, since I'll be out of town, but he's non-committal right now. Says he can't think that far ahead! [LOL] I'll keep working on him.

10. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Happy Mother's Day Mamabean and all the other Dunes mama's! I'm not exactly sure which of our pack will be out for the Dunes yet either. We were very lucky to have my nieces and their kids at TR. Usually it's my mother, my ex or one of my two brothers that want in on the better camping trips. We do have a bit of time before we get there to figure that all out. I'd be glad to see him out there if he can make it! I've been keeping a keen eye on the SP's campground though... and really want to encourage those attending to grab a site soon, this is a very popular park.
    Though it can be done, getting in to the NP's campground can be tricky as it's first come first serve.
    I know Eric was thinking about coming out for this one and I do hope he does... at least for the potluck. I missed him at TR and didn't even know he was there until I had gotten home. Time passes so quickly at these events, it's hard to take it all in.
    Well, back to the daily grind... a little lawn mowing, a little trimming a little laundry...
    Oh God I can't wait until the next camp-out!

11. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

cztardust, I don't think Eric ever made it out to TR..... [?:~{]

He did cancel last minute, not sure if ever officially cancelled his site via Reserve America.

12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Maybe not then... it'd be good to see him out there though. It'd be good to see everyone again! I still want to get out to Pokagon in Oct. We'll see :)

13. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

3 months and 27 days to go until we fire up the grill at the Indiana Dunes Rally!
    [​IMG]
    I know it seems like a long time to go and there are so many other area rallies before we get there, but sites are already being spoken for and there are a few goodies left to book if you do so early!!! I think we have the right park at the best time of the year for camping at the lake-front- Come join us!

14. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

[​IMG]
    About 20 sites left in the SP Campground for those teetering on the thought of attending the Indiana Dunes Rally on the September 11th weekend!!!
    Last minute attendees can make use of the National Park's Dunewood Campground, it is beautiful... but it is also first come, first serve and all sites are primitive-
    This is a perfect rally for those out of NW Indiana, NE Illinois and SW Michigan...
    It's a short drive with easy access... right off the expressway on the beautiful sands of Lake Michigan! A nice quick weekend camp-out with a family style cookout at the Wilson shelter among other Portal Members-
    Don't miss out on the fun, sign up now!

15. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I've spent quite a bit of time spreading the word on the Indiana Dunes State Park Campground and very little on the National Park's Dunewood primitive campground. Those wanting to attend the rally on the 9/11 weekend have a second option.
    The Dunewood campground is really quite beautiful and the sites are much more spacious than what the SP offers. Those that like the feel of a primitive campground may like this option, but as I've stressed... It's first come/first serve and grabbing sites on the weekend is tough!
    Here is a link to the best information I can provide on the NP's Dunewood campground including a site map. If everything works out right I will spending a couple days out there soon and will bring back photos for everyone to check out-
    http://www.nps.gov/indu/planyourvisit/upload/Dunewood-Campground-2014-2.pdf

16. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Things are looking up for the 9/11 weekend rally at the Indiana Dunes folks, i just had another Portal member PM me thinking about joining us! Very good! very good!
    FYI:
    I'll be heading out to the Indiana Dunes NP Campground, Dunewood, for a couple days to grab some mid-week peace and quiet. For those wanting to go primitive to the rally, I'll post a few pictures and some side-notes when I get back [8D]

17. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Wow!!! The DNR has really been working hard to update the Indiana Dunes SP!
    Absolutely beautiful. We ended up taking a day trip and I accidentally grabbed my old film camera on the way out. So I'll have to wait until I get back in to town to pick up the pictures and share them... But wow... I forgot how much the Dunes rocks.
    That cool air coming off the lake while walking on the warm sand, so many people enjoying and celebrating the outdoors. There was a little girl and her friend that raced past me amazed by the butterflies they'd found along the updated nature walks...
    And they were awesome, huge brilliant yellow butterflies. I'm pretty sure they had landing lights-
    The trail from the SP campground to the beach area is a nice little easy walk, most of it a level deck with railings. Everybody can enjoy the experience now... Just fantastic.
    If you haven't been up to the beach in a while, then I can honestly say even if you think you remember how awesome it is, there's just a little something of the experience that just doesn't stay fresh in memory.
    Come join us for the 9/11 weekend rally and enjoy the whole time with other Portal friends... Whether you stay at the SP or NP, it's just "ohhh sooo" worth it!

18. BigRedKA

BigRedKA Member

A what camera??? LOL! I boxed up my Canon AE-1 when I bought a Digital Rebel. The AE-1 now resides in its box on the top shelf of the closet. It's not worth enough to sell and means too much to give away. It was my first SLR that I bought when I was 19 after wanting one since I was little. I thought it might be neat to show my kids when they're older. Maybe someday I'll display it next to the typewriter.

We haven't had the pup out since Turkey Run and I'm itching to get out camping again. I almost did an unscheduled trip last weekend but nobody was feeling up to it. And after the torrential downpour Sunday it was probably just as well.

I'm not gonna make it if I have to wait for the 9/11 weekend!

19. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I've actually had 2 weeks in a row with a couple days off next to each other. The Indiana Dunes turned in to a day trip because of rain on one of the two days, this week my allergies got the best of me and I had to go run into the doctor's office and get a shot of cortisone and antibiotics to clear up my ears... So I know where your coming from!
    I took the opportunity to mount an electric tongue jack on the Starcraft though. That's one less chance to throw my back out :)
    Really looking forward to getting out there ASAP and can't wait for the Indiana Dunes Rally!!! We did have another Portal member that PM'd me interested in coming out to the Dunes for the rally, but they are in the process of checking if it's going to do well with their jobs and other obligations first. Whatever the case, the Dunes Rally is going to be beautiful. The park has always been a great time in the past with my family and friends... And with all the improvements they've made lately, wow... just WOW!

20. cyprant

cyprant New Member

I'm kind of new here as I haven't posted much yet, but have probably read 20% of the threads here. But I decided to book for this rally. I will be getting more active on this forum as we get better at using our pup. Will be my wife and I and our 2 young kids... Site #134! Will probably Bring baked beans for the pot luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.