2015 - Indiana Dunes Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by cztardust, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Woo Hooo!!! Welcome to the Dunes crew, Cyprant & family!
    Great to have you on board! Looking forward to meeting you all!
    ABK

2. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Looking in the stock pile of different picnic supplies. Looks like it'll be a western/bandanna & blue jeans theme by default for the picnic tables Lol- I think I've held on to every bit of excess party supplies I ever came across. Lol
    What was that song... I wanna be a cowboy baby-

3. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Well, we've had it kinda tough in NW Indiana on weather this spring. The cold never wanting to leave, now rain and humidity. I guess having this in September may be a blessing!
    Just an FYI... There are a few sites... just a few sites left at the SP if anyone wants to join in. The second option is the NP campground which is 1st come, 1st serve primitive.
    The potluck will be at the Wilson shelter in the early evening Saturday and like I said in an earlier post, most of the party supplies I have has a blue jeans and bandanna theme going on, so Western it is-
    You'll have to leave your horse at home, but bring your pop-up on up to the Dunes and have some food and some fun with us folks. :)

4. BigRedKA

BigRedKA Member

Woohoo! Great to have you on board! I have two mini me's and we'll be in #138, right next to the playground.

5. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Alright! Just got a PM and looks like we have @Rmickey on board for the Dunes rally! I'll update the boards when they let me know which site they're on :) This is going to be a great little rally!

A preview of what's in store for us:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ihPk8TSl-4

Folks we have three sites left for the Indiana Dunes September 11th rally at the state park campground! Once full, the "last chance option" is the national park's Dunewood campground.
    [​IMG]

If you're in NW Indiana or just over the border in Illinois, this is the perfect rally for you!!! With little travel time you can share the weekend with other Portal members and arrive fresh at home well rested and ready for the next week!

6. campingquilter

campingquilter Member

This rally will be my 4th one since May :)

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Wow, that's great! I did manage to make it to Turkey Run in spring and thought it was really nice, but had to pull back some of my other rally plans due to TV repairs and some storm damage repair here at the house.
    We have one more camp-out in July at Oak Lake family campground with the kids and then we're throwing the rest of the effort to my vacation time at the Dunes and the rally!

Attendees please note: The DNR is restoring the CCC main beach house so the concession stand is closed for the entire season. This does not affect the camp store in the campground [8D]

8. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Update...
    Here we are folks, June 27th and only one more site in the state park is available to reserve for 9/11 weekend. This is a statement of how popular the state and national park really are!
    Site #72 is the last survivor this morning and after it's gone the national park's Dunewood (first come/first serve) campground will be the only sites available!
    While the NP's Dunewood is a beautiful primitive campground, the sites fill incredibly quick.
    [​IMG]
    Links to the NP's campground:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.nps.gov/indu/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/indu/planyourvisit/upload/Dunewood-Campground-2014-2.pdf

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

I got back from the Dunes from a 4 night stay yesterday. Just wanted to let everyone know about the 3 Dune Challenge that the tourism center is promoting. Trail 8 climbs the 3 Dunes in the park. If you go to the visitors center about a mile south of the park on the east side of the road they will give you postcards, stickers, and other stuff for completing the challenge. There is a website 3dunechallenge.com that explains as well. T shirts are available for purchase and I got the kids one as they were so exited to do this without the parents helping them. I think in another year or 2 they may out pace us...

Personally I think taking Trail 9 to the Beach House Blowout is the best view in the park. You can go past the blowout to complete Trail 9 and walk the top of the dunes overlooking the lake t for a while as well.

The DW, 3 kids, 1 dog and I did about 12 miles in all this weekend. Trail 10 was a long hike through the woods and about 2 miles back along the beach but there is a connecting path to trail 9 which is what we did. I personally won't do 10 again. Trail 2 boardwalk was closed due to high water. I plan to hike it next time I go back later this month. Sorry to say I can't make the rally as it is a long haul for one actual day since the kids are back in school.

One more thing that I have to say about our trip at the risk of not being politically correct - the beach has better "scenery" than most beaches in Florida. I don't know how it will be in September. Not trying at all to be offensive with this but Holy Cow they make bikini bottoms small these days.

10. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We've actually have the whole week out there before the rally. There's so much to do and see and it's a great meeting place for relatives in the area to visit us. The park has something to offer everyone. I'd encourage anyone with the time to try to fit in the NP's Dunewood campground to join us out there if it works out.
    It's a wonder that this SP is there for us to enjoy right now. Private interests have been trying to obtain that lake-front property for years and finally got a leg up. The DNR finally caved to in a private business to open not a small eatery, but a gigantic banquet house next to CCC beach house right in the middle of that beautiful view approaching the beach.
    I'd encourage people to voice their opinion to the DNR in support of keeping private interests out of our SP's before the DNR gets too deep in pockets of private business and the parks are out of the public's control.
    Apparently this is a "done deal" as the business and the DNR signed contracts quietly and in a dark corner, so there's no stopping it now, but what a shame.
    I'd urge people to come out and enjoy the park and bring your cameras as the park as we know it and it's natural state will never be the same.

11. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I checked Reserve America this morning and the Dunes SP is now booked solid. The next step for thise wanting to join would be the NP's Dunewood Campground, Valpo's Mink Lake Campground (I have no info on this CG) or to come join us on a day trip for Saturday's cookout/potluck at the Wilson shelter!
    I do hope others make their way out to join us, the more the merrier!
    Pictures from a mid-week stay a week ago or so...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

@Rmickey Please let me know what site your on and potluck dish so I can update the board- thanks! :)
    Really looking forward to the rally folks! Since Duneland campground is first come/first serve we won't know until we're there if any others will be attending... but if anyone has the idea they may want to join the rally, please let me know in advance so we can post it [8D]
    Brent-

13. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Just a note---Dunes were all booked but I kept checking throughout the day, and yup---someone canceled! I snatched it up and we were there yesterday and today. Very nice park and great location choice for a rally, czar! We were on #103, backing up to some of your rally sites and they will be perfect for a group. Wish I could join you in September!

So, if you still want to join this rally, don't give up hope. Keep checking for cancellations--they do happen and you'll be at a very nice park!

14. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Thanks for the input @Mamabean! There are always cancellations and the park is ideally suited for rallies and family functions. They've done a lot of upgrading since I had been there last. Very nice!

15. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Really looking forward to the 9/11 rally at the Indiana Dunes!!! I made a check of the state park's reservation system and the SP at this point is booked solid. If you want to join us for the rally, please let me know and I'll help watch for a cancellation! The national park's Dunewood campground is a great option as well. I'm sure we can help get a few folks in there if we work on it! It seems the crazy cycle of rain this area's been in has broken now and improving by the week. My forecast is for fun!!! Come join us at the Dunes Rally!
    ABK

16. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

You all have a great time ther! We couldn't make this trip with you, but will be there with GLPUC 2 weekends before you, with 15 sites reserved, so we will warm it up for you!

17. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

You bet! If I get that weekend off... I may just try to get in the NP's Dunewood for a night top say hi to everyone. The Dunes, what a great place. I just hope the weather works out. This is one of the most soggy summers I can remember!

18. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Wow... We're really getting there!!! Like most, I've been swamped with work hours and waiting for the rally! I did a quick check of the Indiana Dunes SP and they're still booked for the 9/11 weekend.
    If anyone else is interested in attending, the NP's CG is still the closest option-
    Be sure to bring a credit card or a pre-paid card to check in at the NP. Their check-in is automated and does not except cash. Please let me know if you're going to try and join us at the last minute for the rally, I may be able to help!

19. Furdy

Furdy Member

DW and I will be heading south from a stay in the Eagle River WI area and I was able to book #71 for 9/10 through 9/12. Being new PUP owners and new to the Popup group we are hoping to visit and pick up some tips from your experience to prep for next year's camping. See you'all there!

20. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Well, we're setting up camp backyard next weekend to give everything a run-through. My nephews won't be able able to make it out to the rally with us, so we're going to combine it with our movie night and whip up some cherry phosphate sundaes and popcorn! It will give me some time to look over everything and make sure it's all in top shape. We're going to have a full house. Lol... I love it!
    As for the rally, it's all looking up. Though the weather can change, it looks great so far and I'm so very glad we have such great folks on board for the weekend.
    Just an FYI: Though the campground is easy to navigate, the roads in the park are twisty-turvy...
    Keep in mind the Wilson shelter is easy to find if you take a left-hand turn heading out of the campground area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.