2015 - Indiana Dunes Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by cztardust, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DieselLibertyCRD

DieselLibertyCRD Member

We are looking forward to the Dunes! All the rebuild work is 99.9% done and doing the final check of everything this weekend.
    [​IMG]

2. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Wow, that's looking awesome DL! There's a side of me that wants to modernize the old 76 Starcraft's interior, but then it would change it's personality too much. I did pick up a few gadgets along the way to make rainy days more interesting... You'll get a kick out it-
    You could say I stole it from you- Lol

3. DieselLibertyCRD

DieselLibertyCRD Member

Two weeks to go!!!

4. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Yeah buddy! The clock's ticking down fast now! I'll be popping the top soon to get things checked out and ready to go! We'll be looking at the weather forecast and hoping for the best. This will be our our last hoorah for the camping season and probably the best.

5. Furdy

Furdy Member

Just back from a weekend excursion. Northern trip the week before the rally has been canceled due to work conflicts. We will now be driving up on Thursday and hope to not be too late to set up. If so, see y'all Friday.

6. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

We just got back from an Indiana Dunes SP rally with GLPUC. What a wonderful park! AT leat the 100's loop was very clean. Nice bath houses and big sites. We did find out the hard way the main water fill stations DO NOT have hoses attached to fill your tanks! You will need your own hose and probably a water thief to make the connection. Fortunately we had our Auqa-tainers with us. But a great time at this park. We'll go again!

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

The weather forecast is looking like it's shaping up! Mid 70's and mild. Looks like my brother's heading up from Florida to join us and his daughter Candace (her birthday is the 12th, so we'll be bringing a cake along) My mother and possibly another niece!
    I'm due out there Wednesday, but may lag behind a bit depending on whether I pack on my next day off of work. So far, so good!

8. BigRedKA

BigRedKA Member

I've had our little Rockwood open for about a week. We didn't do much camping this summer like we'd planned :( so it's been closed up.

When I opened it, the broom that I have laying across the dinette seats was covered with mold and the whole camper still stinks. The pillows stored under the dinette were sopping wet and so moldy I had to toss them. The blankets that were under there were salvaged with a couple washes. All of our blankets are now sealed in big vacuum bags.

I know the roof is in bad shape and leaks but it seems like having the camper sit more or less level caused more water to enter. So, in the future I will make a point to store the camper at a pretty steep angle and probably cover it with a tarp. It's funny though because it stays so dry with it open.

I also made a nice new big rip in the canvas by the door. I had plans to fix the roof and replace the canvas but due to cost and time (read: ROI) it's looking more and more like we'll end up buying a new(er) camper. Couple that with the fact thats the kids are only getting bigger and I already have to sleep diagonally in the "large" end bunk.

Anyway, here's hoping we can get the mold stink out before this rally. Still looking forward to it [:D]

9. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Oh my... Sorry to hear that Ka-
    We'll see what we can do to help while your out there. I have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to fighting water damage and quite a bit of supplies to fight it with.
    Same with torn canvas. I think I can help you there too.
    Don't get discouraged, the cavalry is on it's way! Lol

10. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

KA- I sent you a PM... the rip in the canvas is not a problem. I can help you at the SP.
    Probably the roof issue as well, but I need more information. I certainly would not let that stop you from going on holiday.
    The mold problem from the water leak... send me a PM if you're still having issues before you leave. I had to wage war on mold before we could use our pup and won. It can be done :)
    ABK

11. Furdy

Furdy Member

Forecast keeps looking better for next weekend. KA sounds like you'll get lots of help, I'm in, not an expert like Brent and others but can offer a hand. [RTM]

12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Yes, I've gotten better at pup repairs. At least the Fire Chief said so-

13. DieselLibertyCRD

DieselLibertyCRD Member

I'm pretty much done with a complete frame up rebuild of my Rockwood. I'd be happy to take a look and offer any help I can!

Hey Cz, how level are the pads at the campground? That's the one last thing (of many things) I need to pick up, a levler. If a couple pieces of 1/2" ply will get me by I'm going to hold off. Have never camped there but have walked thru the grounds and if I remember right the pads were pretty level looking.

My latest add to the camper, mini ceiling fan.. Lol!!

14. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Didn't seem that bad @DL, I was out there earlier this year and they seemed okay.
    I carry a few extra boards too, but for me it's not too big of a concern. Still running on an ice box and dry ice for the frozens. So glad your going to make it out there!
    The horseshoe pitching trophies just came in today. Very nice... First, second and third prize. I'd be surprised if I can throw one ringer, it's been so long- Lol
    I picked up some new paper plates, tableclothes, plasticware, pitchers for lemonade/punch, burgers, dogs, buns, charcoal, foil for the grill and garbage bags for the shelter. I'm going to have a truck full. Lol
    Well, one more day and I'm on vaca! Woo Hoo!
    It's going to be the day that seemed like it lasted forever tomorrow :p

15. DieselLibertyCRD

DieselLibertyCRD Member

Sounds great Cz!! We will have the smoker with and do some pulled pork!

16. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Shaping up to be a a great little rally. We have about 30 people, the weather outlook is fair and the park is beautiful.
    I want to let you all know the last time we went out there this season, that the park does have resident raccoons. These little critters were inspecting everything as soon as the sun set. We did not see a single raccoon during the day, but at soon as the sun set they were out and brassy. We had food put in the coolers and in the trunk of the car and food/cups in the trash. We were happy as thought we had it covered. What I didn't realize was that the boys left a half bag of ice leaning against a tree outside and believe it or not the raccoons had a ball with it. Sucking on ice cubes on their hind legs and looking for more.
    They never bothered the pup, but because of the proximity of the ice to the pup, it was a bit of a hassle to take bathroom brakes for a while.
    So please, make your visit to the park a pleasant stay and put all foodstuffs away. Preferably in your trunk and not in your pup.

17. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I've actually have reservations at the park for the the entire week. I'm biting at the chomp to be out there asap, but I can't see pulling into the campground until late Thursday or possibly Friday morning. Yesterday was a day to rest, tomorrow a day to get the house back to normal, then a day to organize and pack the pup!
    Well... Time to get busy! I'll drop in a bit later and check the thread.

How's the pup coming along for you KA? Cleaning up for you okay I hope!

18. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

Most (if not all) sites at Dunes have a level concrete pad. Shouldn't even have to worry about stacking anything. I've stayed on 4 different sites the last 3 years and it's perfectly level on all of them.

19. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Whoa! That pulled pork was awesome at T-run! I'm probably going to have to change our donation to the rally potluck to fried chicken. We had a bit of an issue with the freezer door being left open a crack and saw some thawing. Not good. I don't play when it comes to food safety. Stracks to the rescue!

20. Furdy

Furdy Member

Got the truck loaded, all that's left is hooking up and taking off tomorrow. See you-all at the Dunes..............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.