2015 - Indiana Dunes Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by cztardust, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Wow, ur not kidding, I just checked RA and was surprised! The nice thing about the shelter being rented is that we can be all over the park if need be and still have a place to go have the potluck and spend time out there together. The rally sites are filling up, but there's still quite a bit to go and more through the park. Thanks for making me aware of this. I left Steve a PM addressing the issue and intent.

2. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Okay folks, sent the PM to Steve and got a reply to the suggestion of going official. He's checking into things and I'm standing ready to do my part.
    As soon as I get the "go" I'm on it [:D]

3. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Great! That makes five campers strong, we've now met the critieria for Indiana Dunes Sept 11th weekend be an official Portal Rally! [CP]
    [PU] [PU] [PU] [PU] [PU]
    @Cztardust on 135, @ CamperFam on #133, @DieselLibertyCRD on #137, @campingquilter on #20 and welcome 2Mommas on site #136!
    We'll be getting more organized very soon, glad to see you're on board!

4. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

This... this is what I can't wait to see in the mornings at the rally. That morning walk on the beach that Oprah summed up so well as "simple breathing space."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOu4IBXU80

A little RA update for the Dunes weekend... A few sunny and a few partial shade sites close to keep us together and more available throughout the SP.

5. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

[​IMG]
    I feel awkward doing repetitive posts, but I don't want to miss anyone wanting to attend.
    There are still sites on the south east loop of Dunes campground open to keep us together. We're 5 pups strong, but I'd love to see more make it. Hard for me to believe that so many sites at the Dunes have filled already for the 9/11 weekend. Please let me know if you're attending and what site you're on. I was a little late asking for the boards to be up and be official rally.

6. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

[​IMG]
    Our rally boards should be up this weekend for those wanting to join us on the Sept 11th rally! Booking seems to have slowed up a bit so there's some awesome sites available.
    I'll be down there a few days in advance to take advantage of swimming and walking the beaches during the day and may even catch a movie at the 49'er drive in [8D]
    *There really is something here everyone!
    [​IMG]

*Something to keep in mind about swimming if the weather is good:
    The SP sends their lifeguards home after Labor day, so swimming is kept at the Porter and Kemil NP sides of the beach and at your own risk.
    (There's usually plenty of families around keeping an eye on each other, but worth mentioning.)
    Porter beach is just on the other side of the CCC beach house, but Kemil is more secluded.
    [​IMG]
    Right now we're all stoked for @bahb's Turkey Run rally, but I hope some the Portal folks find their way out to the Dunes with us later [CP]

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

[​IMG]
    Just checking in to see if our rally boards are up yet... I just looked at RA and there's still some great sites around #135 at the Indiana Dunes to join us for the 9/11 weekend!
    A nice cookout at the Orchard Shelter Saturday the 12th on the shores of Lake Michigan, a chance to meet other members and make new friends in a beautiful park...
    Anyone up to a horseshoe tournament? There's plenty of time before we get there, but not plenty of time before all the sites are booked! I hope the word is getting out and looking forward to meet everyone!

8. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

It's fun seeing some interest in the Dunes and replying to the PM's...
    Folks, if you're interested please grab a site before they're gone.
    The north-east loop is filling up, but the south-east loop is still mostly available.
    There's a lot to do at the Dunes SP/NP that we can choose from and we are dusting off the horseshoes for the championship... the croquet set is ready to go and we have a new badminton set on the way for the cookout.

*The no alcohol policy at the Dunes came up in a PM and would like to address it...
    Yes, the entire Indiana Dunes SP and NP does have a no alcohol policy and since this will be a Portal event, I don't think it would be fair to the site if I encouraged fudging park rules. I can tell you that I've seen people over the years get booted that have been caught with alcohol (that were not disturbing the peace in any way) and others who were never questioned. The personal responsibility is yours to be had, but what we do will reflect on Portal members that will want to have future events there, so...
    I will give the only recommendation I can give which is please follow the park rules

9. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

[​IMG]
    [SUN] Sites around the Dunes 9/11 rally are still available on the Southeast loop! [SUN]

10. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Here's what RA looks like for the Indiana Dunes 9/11 weekend so far folks :) We have the sites immediately around 135 and site 20 as well. Come join us!
    [​IMG]

11. CamperFam

CamperFam Member

We LOVE going to the Drive-in! [TV] Hope there's a good show playing that weekend :)

12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

[​IMG]
    And the 49er Drive through really tries to make it a good time for everyone! Families tailgate and picnic in the lawn, do the "beep-beep" sing along and they do a great job of having audience participation. The Dunes SP is just way too close not to see the show!

13. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

[​IMG]
    Our rally boards are up! The Indiana Dunes 9/11 weekend is on! We have our first five campers on board and looking forward to meeting new friends at the cookout on Saturday! There are still some great sites to be had at the SP!
    Join us and let me know-
    I'll get your info on the attendee list as soon as I have the opportunity [CP]

14. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Is Indiana Dunes Rally the 30th for the year??
    It is either this one or 2015 Alabama Summer Rally?

Either way they are both NEW Records for number of Portal rallies. [:D]
    Last year was 28.

15. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Well folks, if the Indiana Dunes isn't the record breaking #30... It is the first rally to be held in a SP that's located entirely inside a NP.
    I was asked via an earlier PM about picking up a site for the communal campfire and talked a little with another member last night. At this point, although the attendee numbers can grow, we are still a small group and can share our campfire rings with each other.
    The Orchard Shelter is the group site for this rally because there is a possibility that attendees will join us from both the State Park and the Dunewood National Park campgrounds and will most likely group together for campfires in two different parks with other members and guests.
    [​IMG]
    A couple of us are already thinking of heading out to the nearby 49'er Drive-In to catch a movie "retro" style Saturday night. That in itself I'm pretty excited about. It's not everyday a drive in movie theater is so close to enjoy, I hope they're playing something good that weekend!

16. DieselLibertyCRD

DieselLibertyCRD Member

I'm sure we would be up for the 49er!! Throughout the summer we do a backyard theater (ours is in the front tho) for friends, family and neighbors..
    [​IMG]

17. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Whoaaaa! That's totally awesome!!!

18. DieselLibertyCRD

DieselLibertyCRD Member

At night.. Smokey and the bandit that weekend.
    [​IMG]

19. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

#29 AND #30 was record breaking so bask in the glory! [LOL]

20. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Record breaking rally!!! We will light the official camping torch in it's honor [8D]
    [​IMG]
    I'm totally shocked that there are prime sites available for this rally-
    @DieselLibertyCRD you were thinking of bringing the smoker...
    @2mommas is bringing her chicken kabobs, homemade salsa and chips, @camperfam is bringing a fresh salad and we've been dabbling around with different specialties our butcher has been offering... bacon burgers, homemade beef dogs, polish and apple brats.
    The Dunes 9/11 rally is just starting to roll and we're going to be eating pretty sweet I can see already [:)O]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.