2015 Rockwood Premier speaker wiring

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by davido, Sep 18, 2014.

1. davido

davido Active Member

My 2015 Rockwood Premier 2516G came with a Kenwood car stereo installed. It has the following speaker configuration:

Inside: Two speakers.
    Outside: One outdoor speaker.

Everything seems fine so far but just wait...

To shift from the indoor speakers to the outdoor speaker, the instructions (a xerox'ed sheet from Forest River slipped into the Kenwood manual) say to use the stereo's BALANCE control.
    When listening to the indoor speakers, one can use the FADER control to adjust the speaker near the front bunk relative to the speaker close to the rear bunk.

Let me say it clearer: The interior speakers are assigned the RIGHT stereo channel, and set up as "front" and "rear". The exterior speaker is assigned the LEFT channel.

If this doesn't seem odd, it should. I've been doing some reading on what might be a more optimal speaker configuration. It's my understanding that I should be able to do the following:

Set up the interior speakers as rear left and right.

Set up the exterior speaker as a single "front" speaker by taking the positive from the front left speaker output, and the negative from the front right, leading them to the outside speaker. It's my understanding that this configuration will provide sufficient impedance to avoid overheating the stereo's amplifier.

So: Inside: left and right rear. Outside: Single front, tapping left front positive, right front negative.

Why would I want to make this change? Well, so that when inside the trailer I can listen to the stereo in.... STEREO. ;)

Has anyone else run into this intentional factory-installed misconfiguration? Has anyone else tried this modification?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yep... our Outback TT is wired something the same... but in this case all four speakers are inside, but are split right side speakers at the rear (couch/table area) and left side speakers to the front of the TT (in the galley and bunk area)..

I have thought of rewiring things and still might as the way the radio was installed the wires do one of those nice sharp 90 degree bends, and over time the wires have gotten flexed and sometimes the speakers cut out... So If I were to rewire things, I would actually do it on the radio side of things when I get around to changing the unit..

3. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

I have a 2014 rock wood with a Kenwood head unit as well. It is kind of backwards, I would have liked two speakers outside and have them fade inside outside, instead it seems to be set up like a car with left on the drivers side and right on the passenger side. Someone wasn't thinking about ease of use when they designed the install. I may follow you idea and swap it around next spring and add a second outside speaker.