2016 3rd Annual Ontario "Down By the River Rally"

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by ccptbo, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Re: 2016 3rd Annual Ontario "Down By the River Rally"

Wow! What a great looking group!

2. canuckblues

canuckblues Member

You should be planing your next outdoor adventure and not talking to yourself

We Are heading to Darlington today for the long weekend

Taking the black pots

Should be a great weekend

3. Sparky_78

Sparky_78 Active Member

Arrowhead for us 2 this weekend

4. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We are heading to and camping at a friends farm for their annual corn roast in the Holy Land. Should be a good time with the live band.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Working this weekend .. and already have our next camping trip planned... end of September going (back) to Laurel Creek Conservation Area..

6. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Is that the one that is in Wrench's backyard?

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Pretty much ..lol,, Lots of open sites if you want to and are brave enough to venture to our side of Toronto... [:D]

8. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We have every weekend booked until November already.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Lucky ... just have two weekends planned and maybe .. maybe one at the end of October beginning of November...

10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Tina booked us a trip to Jamaica in Nov. Not sure how I'm gonna get the Pup through baggage check-in at the airport. Maybe Craig can pull a few strings for us.

Heading for a weekend of ATVing and such up at my Mom's place. The Pup is staying home. Just me and the kiddos going up. Craig, you're not alone, Tina has to work all weekend as well.

11. Pal-O-Mino

Pal-O-Mino Life in the slow lane.

Got back last week from the Blue Ridge Mountains. Just wanted to make a quick post here thanking everyone for advice and recommendations. Everything went smoothly and without incident (well except for raising the roof with the stove sitting on top of it, but I'm not mentioning that).

Airbags = pure genius. incredible improvement in handling.
    Upgraded tires to Load rating C = way improved towing behaviour.
    New lift cable and lift post = zero trouble with the popup all week.

I may add on a marine battery and solar panel for our next foray, but for this trip it was just early to bed, which wasn't a bad thing.

I dumped some photos at our blog if you want to look, but really just wanted to say thanks to all the Ontario folks who helped us get set up.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Come on.. now that you mentioned it you have to share...

13. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Great to hear Chris! Glad you all had a wonderful trip. One the kids won't forget...and we will never tell anyone else about the stove on the roof! Shhhhh. Lol

14. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Was there already a frying pan full of bacon sizzling away on that stove when it went up? One might thinks thats an offering to the Gods.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It sounds like wrench may have some experience with stoves left on the roof...

16. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

[LOL] Why, yes it does! Wrench....any comments?

17. Pal-O-Mino

Pal-O-Mino Life in the slow lane.

Well I can't speak for wrench, but...

We allowed ourselves 2 days to reach Virginia because boys. Turns out they traveled well and apart from bleeding ears induced by Geronimo Stilton audio-books, there were no incidents on our southward march. We left teh GTA at 03:30 and arrived at Shenandoah Nat'l Park at 15:30. On a Saturday.

Since Saturdays are busy in National Parks (who would have guessed!) our reserved campsite was occupied, and we were forced to take one of the remaining three sites in the campground - which was actually a pretty good pull-through spot for a small RV. We were promised our reserved site for the following day and the remainder of our stay.

In the interim, we strolled the campground and noticed a few other better sites.

On Sunday morning we threw everything not bolted down (including the stove) into the van and drove over to the ranger station to get our site reassigned. We lucked out and got a premium site that was actually quite nice. Then drove over and emptied the van into the site, filling the picnic table with mosh-posh of crap. Left our eldest son there to keep an eye on it and ran back to the old site to hook up the trailer and drag it over to the new site. Rather than pack it, I threw anything in a bag on top, along with our firewood and few other 'fall-able' things for the 200m drive.

30 minutes later we were back at teh site where our pile of crap (including the stove) was waiting for us, but our son was AWOL. With memories of Emily Pk. fresh in our minds we set off looking for our kid. Neighbours were sheepishly avoiding us. Then they came over and let us know that the Rangers had picked him up. I unhooked the trailer and Momma went to fetch the kid.

At the Ranger station we were told that the other family had called them in because we had abandoned our son and drove off for the day leaving him behind. Nice. He was sitting behind the counter colouring with the rangers. The other family never talked to us again.

Anyways, while Momma was kid fetching, I was fuming and getting things set up. Naturally half the stuff I needed was on the picnic table, half was on top of the trailer, and tools etc. were stuck inside. There was much shuffling and reshuffling of gear as I went, and the trailer pad sloped diagonally making it tricky to get things level.
    By the time Mom got back, I had just only levelled the trailer and moved firewood and bags off it. I had also moved stuff to go into the trailer to one end of the picnic table, and campsite stuff (carpet, table cloths, etc.) onto the trailer. Mangeable piles.

Before cranking the trailer up, I got the chairs situated around the fire. Got the carpet down, clipped the table cloth to our two work tables, then futzed around with the kitchen table using rocks and gravel to level it. With the table level and the trailer level, off I went to crank up the trailer. Which I did.

Once the safety posts were in place and the tent opened up, I cracked open a beer and decided it was time to make some lunch. Which was when I realized I had no stove. Gave Momma a boost, and we managed to get it down. Lunch was delicious.

18. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Oh come on Chris....haven't you heard enough of Fabulous Vacation for Geronimo, Wild Wild West, or my personal favourite...Red Pizzas for a Blue Count.
    Lol.
    Both my kids love Geronimo and Thea Stilton!!!

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

12 hours driving.. crap that makes for a real long day.. I've done 10 hours before and have since decided 8 hours is the max I'll do while towing..

If you reserved the site why was it still occupied? I would have have had them remove the other people and demanded the site I reserved..

Did this once when we went to Grundy without a reservation.. we missed out on the last hydro non reservable site by 10 minutes, had to rough it for a couple nights..

Not the same one that went AWOL at Emily ??

No body thought to ask your son why he was left standing there with some stuff but no tent or trailer ?? Rangers should have known that you were changing sites..

At least you discovered the stove missing before Yogi and Boo-boo discovered it ..

You could write a book on your misadventures and disappearing kids, I can also sense a tv show in there too... Glad everyone had a good time and nobody got lost or abducted by aliens...

20. scrt95019

scrt95019 Member

I've done 18 hours in one day.. Followed by 11.5 hours the next.. HOWEVER.. I wasn't towing anything except the dead weight of passengers ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.