2016 Aliner Classic - Spare Tire Bracket

Charles

Sep 25, 2014
Oregon
Has anyone figured out why the spare tire bracket is made to fold down after pulling the pin out? I want to replace that pin with a bolt so it doesn't rattle.

PointyCamper

Nov 25, 2015
Has anyone figured out why the spare tire bracket is made to fold down after pulling the pin out? I want to replace that pin with a bolt so it doesn't rattle.
Check your spare tire holder very carefully. I have not reported back from our recent trip, but before we left, got new tires. As we were trying to reattach the spare, WE FOUND A LARGE CRACK IN THE METAL STEM that holds the tire up. Really lousy design to copy a lollipop for a tire holder.
We are going to find or have welded a tire holder that may be more like a triangle to hold the spare to the rear bumper, which is my preference.
Will post pics soon....

Charles

Sep 25, 2014
Oregon
Check your spare tire holder very carefully. I have not reported back from our recent trip, but before we left, got new tires. As we were trying to reattach the spare, WE FOUND A LARGE CRACK IN THE METAL STEM that holds the tire up. Really lousy design to copy a lollipop for a tire holder.
We are going to find or have welded a tire holder that may be more like a triangle to hold the spare to the rear bumper, which is my preference.
Will post pics soon....
Totally agree the design for the spare tire is really crappy. They welded a piece of 4x4 metal tube to the bumper (which isn't very strong in the first place) and then attached the tire holder. With the spare tire attached there is way to much torque on the holder going down the road. I think some gusset's will also need to be welded to the bumper as well. Let me know what you did....

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Some campers have outside storeage doors behind the tire. Sounds like someone just added a diffrent type to your camper.