2016 Ford F-150 Backup Assist

gruss

Super Active Member
May 6, 2014
BTB said:
If a person can't back up a trailer, they shouldn't pull a trailer. To learn to back a trailer, a person must practice. There are plenty of parking lots to practice in. These sorts of " assists" are ridiculous and ultimately dangerous because they put people on the road pulling trailers dangerously.

I understand your point, and really don't disagree...but those people are already out there...I see it every day. At least with this it's offered on a truck that's capable of towing! I've seen people in little x overs towing things I wouldn't dream of towing with the explorer (I know not a beast, but chose a camper well within it's range) so I guess I have mixed feelings. If "backup assist" gets them to actually buy a TV worthy of towing maybe we're all slightly safer?

Yak

Super Active Member
Apr 18, 2009
This will break and I'll have to fix it. I hate cars and trucks

mrclortho

Aug 11, 2014
Hehehe, reminds me of when I was a 13 year old kid and my dad forced me to back the boat around a circular driveway 25 times in both directions with a manual transmission truck.

A few months later, we were at a boat ramp with a tight turn and this old timer was having one heck of a time backing in his little boat. We waited and waited while he tried and tried. We walked up, my dad asked if he needed help, he was quite frustrated and agreed. My dad told me to do it with a gleam in his eye. The old timer looked at us and laughed as I dropped his boat in the water the first try.

From then on, backing trailers was like second nature.

The key would be not to let your girl, wife or buddies know this feature was equipped...ever! Hahaha [:D]