2016 Pymatuning SP Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by vagov, Jul 5, 2015.

what campground you prefer? Pymatuming state park

Poll closed Jul 13, 2015.
  1. Linesville CG (northern )

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Jamestown CG(southern )

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

As discussed at the 2015 Cooks forest rally, about moving to a new location, a interest was shown for Pymatuning State Park. This place has two locations, Linesville cg or the bigger Jamestown pa campground. Polling to see what location would have the most interest, and who else would be interested in joining us. Then dates wbt accoardingly

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

poll is open for campground selection

3. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

may be interested depending on date

4. phager76

phager76 Active Member

We'll definitely be there. Voted for Jamestown, we were just there after the cooks forest rally and had a great time other then a rule mongering ranger :D .

While at Jamestown we noticed that they are making the 100 loop and part of 200 loop full hookup so that will give access to water on site (Weird for a PA state park). While we were there, I took the liberty of cruising through the pet loops and doing some drive by pictures that I put on Photobucket http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Pat_Hager/library/Pymatuning%20Pet%20Loop. Jamestown also has coin op laundry at all the bathhouses which was a nice perk. The big playground, swimming area and boat launch are all a couple of minute drive from the pet loops as well.

The Linesville spillway is about 20 minutes from Jamestown and the Pymatuning Deer Park is less then 5 minutes from the campground. Also real close to Erie for a day trip.

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I was considering either the 100 or 200 loop as well if poll wins for Jamestown. Looks like the 200 loop has some full hookup sites already, but the 100 loop may be closer to the waters edge(lake). And both are pet freindly for anybody bringing a pooch. It would be great if they make water available in the 100 loop also. You said they already in the process of converting some sites? Depending on when construction will wrap up, it could be a possibility. Just dont want a repeat of what we had at The state park in Cooks Forest when they suspended ressies until further notice, not knowing when they would reopen, and we deciced to move elsewhere. I will also fiqure out a few possible dates to consider and will poll that also. Try to figure out a date which works for most , but dont interfere with other rallys.

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Careful.........
    Those site renovations get tricky. At Laurel Hill they closed off a group of 20 sites to make full hookups at the beginning of the 2014 season. They started the work last spring/summer. As of yesterday it appears they have not done any more work since Oct of last year. The sites sit uncompleted and overgrown. These were very nice heavily used sites too. Last winter they had on the Facebook page a post where they anticipated having them completed and opened by July 4th....they missed that goal and if they soon dont get back at it I anticipate them being out of service well into 2016. Being in construction myself I can tell you they have a long way to go especially considering when winter sets in at that location. Thats the state for you. A park host told me they are doing the renovations with the in house maintenance team and they don't have enough workers. Great huh?

I would be apprehensive to make any plans based on anticipated construction dates by the DCNR.

7. phager76

phager76 Active Member

I take it back, it looks like it's only the 200 loop getting the upgrades, a total of 14 sites http://m.dcnr.state.pa.us/StateParks/ParkDetail?ICSORG=6226.

You have a good point, Old_Geezer, there's a good likelihood that retrofits could run over. Fortunately, it's not that big of a deal for me to fill up the fresh tank at home or on arrival. And with a cassette toilet, I don't need a sewer connection. If they can have the work completed it would be a nice bonus though, especially for those who have legitimate holding tanks.

Since the 100 loop isn't being converted yet, that still leaves a pet friendly loop for us. There are a number of the pet sites that are next to the lake in both loops, which is nice. Both loops have wide open greenspaces on the insides of the loops which might be good for get togethers.

Sent From My Moto E

8. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Yea,i know it could be tricky, especially with dcnr construction. It,s a crap shoot. But surprising to me they actually did complete the upgrades faster than expected last year at Cooks forest state park, hopefully this will apply as well . Lets hope for less rain and a milder winter, as that Lake Erie region can get pretty brutial. however not knowing for sure makes it hard to plan a event, So if this campground wins, we will have to closley monitor . We may be better booking sites as close as the window opens, once we figure out a date or have a plan B , just in case. . I could survive without full hookups , however i do admit, the darkside definitly has spoiled me somewhat! Or at least electric and water on site is a good option. Both the 100 and 200 loops are considerations, As well as other loops if needed. I appriciate all the input and take it all into consideration. Maybe you can join us if things work out John, it would be nice seeing you again , and talking to you in person.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When would this be taking place ??

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

We have been holding this typically the last weekend in June, week before the 4th of July, but this date conflicts in 2016 wiith the national DOG event in Ohio , which i plan on attending, so open for suggestions on a alteritive date. I will try figuring out a date To see what works for most, and see if any /all proposed construction may affect this if chosen. Wagonmaster,s work is never done. (Haha)

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I might be looking for someplace to head next year for the July 1st-4th weekend .. Just looking right now..

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

the holiday falls on a Monday if i,m not mistaken, could be a possibility, however would have to act fast, as ressies tend to fill fast on holidays, but a consideration at this point

13. phager76

phager76 Active Member

We don't typically camp on holiday weekends, mainly because I work retail and they don't like giving you holiday weekends off.

Assuming I'm still at Lowe's next year that weekend will be my rotation weekend off, which is guaranteed off. All that said, we'd be fine with doing the rally that weekend.

I believe that Pymatuning also puts on a fireworks show, would make a nice closing for the rally.

Sent From My Moto E

14. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

Let,s not put the cart before the horse. It dosnt really matter to me which campground we choose , my suggestion would be , if Jamestown location wins the poll, we could use a different loop if we feel we may run into DCNR delays, or even if they restrict sites at all? i am not a pet owner so i wouldnt need a pet freindly site , not to limit those who have pets, They could still book in the 100 and 200 section, and we could just hold our potluck at a designated site. Another suggestion would be use the opossing location if we run into delays. Lets see how the location poll ends first, then Vote on some dates. Not against the july 4th weekend, but would like to see more options. I am sure whatever is deciced Vagov will make it a great rally, as he done in the past.

15. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Did some more poking around between looking at the full version of the DCNR site, and reserve america site and it looks like the sites in 200 loop have already been converted to full hookup. Really not sure why it's listed as a current advisory if completed, but that's what it looks like.

Dave's got a point on the back and forth in regards to rally dates. Nothing wrong with spit balling ideas, but the goal here is to settle on a location.

Sent From My Moto E

16. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

As far as weekends go, I'll be ok for any. It's close enough that I can drive to work if it's my weekend.
    Looking forward to another weekend with some great people, definitely had a good time both years!!

--Rob--

17. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

4 more days to vote on location, then I will be posting dates to poll. :)

19. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

two days left to vote on location poll

20. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.