2016 Quad-State Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by ChocoChock01, Apr 18, 2014.

2017 Quad-State Poll

1. Moab http://utah.com/moab/

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Monument Valley http://utah.com/monumentvalley/

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Canyonlands http://utah.com/nationalparks/canyonlands.htm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dead Horse Pt SP http://stateparks.utah.gov/park/dead-horse-point-state-park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Arches http://utah.com/nationalparks/canyonlands.htm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Capital Reef http://utah.com/nationalparks/capitol_reef/visitor-center.htm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Goosenecks SP http://stateparks.utah.gov/park/goosenecks-state-park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Valley of the Gods http://www.loveyourrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Valley-of-the-Gods-boondock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Cedar Breaks NM http://www.nps.gov/cebr/index.htm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Lake Powell / Glen Canyon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 2016 Quad-State choice:

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Jacob Lake http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Jacob_Lake_Recreation_Area/r/campsiteCalendar.do?page=

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Yea, I know 2016!!! [;)]

This will be in the SE Utah, location TBD.

Post suggestions, in addition to the previously posted which are still in the running, we just have more time.

2. ChocoChock01

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Sand Island, IIRC & is the CG I think it is, has great petroglyphs. It was hot when we stopped there over last 4th of July. Also FCFS, only.

We camped at a smallish campground outside Monticello on that trip, Buckboard. There was another CG not too far away on the same road.

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Sand Island Campground just outside Bluff Utah? I just stayed there for 2 nights. OK place but it fills up each night, at least in April. There are no reservations. According to the Monument Valley website, the campground is still closed. Gooseneck SP is free but there is one pit toilet (if memory serves me correctly) and there is no water. However, there is unlimited space. Gouldings is very expensive.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We don't boondock, but camp in either style of campground. We tend to prefer someplace that takes reservations, driving 6-8 hours and searching for a campsite is no longer fun for us.
    However, whatever the group decides to do is fine. The Quad-state Rally is our secondary one, so attending depends on time/place and the rest of our schedule.

6. ChocoChock01

What is difficult about taking the pulse of "who" likes "what", is that I just like getting out on the road to get off the road.
    Planning these trips is all in anticipation of taking the trip (virtual travel).

We can do all three with the exception of high clearance off road (but mentally I'm there)!

So by the time I actually get to a location, it is pretty close to what I have anticipated (due to research and the input of previous campers/travelers). I can't recall every being disappointed, but I have been pleasantly surprised at a location.

Things like where is a water source and where to dump (unless permissible to bury) AND getting stuck, are important notes, the rest is all part of the journey (I do have long distance towing for both TV & PUP coverage).

Back to taking the pulse on likes and dislikes, is critical, it is important IF others are going to follow.
    Thanks for the ALL the comments because they are all used researching!!! [RTM]

AND 2016 planning is really 2014 planning put into a realistic time frame [:D] it puts the idea out for others who might be tempted and there is time to modify plans!!

Now the 2017 West Coast Solar Eclipse Rally, we really do need the time because of the numbers involved and the "line of totality!" [8D]

7. ChocoChock01

8. ChocoChock01

Yes, the voting came out this way:
    • CO Mesa Verde 2015
    • UT Moab 2016
    • AZ TBD 2017
    • NM Navajo Lake 2018
    • Last weekend in June.

9. ChocoChock01

10. ChocoChock01

11. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

We are reasonably open. While it's nice to have shore power and piped water, we've worked on keeping our P'up practical for boondocking as well. The biggest time we prefer shore power is if the weather is going to be cold enough that we would want to use the heated mattress pad.

Our exposure to Utah camping so far has been more central Utah, near where my in-laws live, and seeing the scenery along the route up from Kanab. As such, I really can't suggest any locations in SE Utah from personal experience.

12. ChocoChock01

Im also looking for a mid point stop for 2015, probably near Flagstaff, then head up 89/160.

13. Hoomi

We're stopping at the (gasp!) KOA in Holbrook on our way. We've stayed there before, and one nice thing about KOA's is that they tend to be predictable. For us, heading up the 17 to Flagstaff adds something like a hundred miles to the trip. Time-wise, it's about the same as going up through Show Low, as the road up through the Salt River Canyon is slower for a much of the distance. Scenery-wise, the Salt River Canyon is a much prettier route.

The KOA in Flagstaff is a reasonably nice park as well, and not too far from the freeway. We stayed there one night on our way back from Utah last year, and despite how close it is to town, it's still well-wooded and pretty peaceful. It's actually right on the 89 north out of Flagstaff, almost across the street from the Flagstaff Mall.

On a trivia note, the Fatman Loop trail system actually has a branch that connects to the KOA, for those who might want to enjoy a nice recreational hike. I hiked the Fatman Loop when we went up to Flagstaff for a weekend last year, and it's a nice hike. Pretty scenery, enough climbing to get the heart rate up, and a well-marked trail.

There are a couple of other campgrounds along that route, just north of Flagstaff, but I have no experience with those. Check the Camp Arizona Website for listings and reservations.

Homolovi State Park near Winslow is a nicely maintained campground, located near some old Native American ruins. Not a lot of trees, but the campground was clean, will full hookups, and not far from the freeway. We stayed there one night on our way up to Utah a couple of years ago. That, however, is well beyond the 89 turn-off, and only good for those planning on continuing down the 40 and taking another route across.

14. ChocoChock01

Despite the connotation of "KOA" they are independently owned, and a significant part of the RV system. You can make reservations AND I have never had a "bad" experience in any of them. They are the Motel 6 of the RV world where they will
    "leave a light on for you"! Usually, a known entity.

We will eat at the same restaurants in our hometown because if you don't cater to them, they won't be around to cater to us.

15. Hoomi

Yeah, that's pretty much our opinion of the KOA system. They may not offer the "camping experience" of setting the P'up in a quiet remote location far away from utilities and other people, but when traveling and needing a decent place to stop for a night or two, they're a good bet for a consistent quality. It may not be great quality, but it's usually clean, reasonably well maintained, and the rules typically enforced.

And they don't balk at the type of rig you have, or the age of it, or any other such things. They're just as happy to host a family with an old canvas tent, as a family with a 25 year old P'up, as a retired couple with a 2015 diesel-pusher, and pretty much everything in between.

16. ChocoChock01

I like this site, it shows CG not shown on other sites!

17. ChocoChock01

18. ChocoChock01

Next question??
    Moab
    or
    Monument Valley?

19. ChocoChock01

Southern Utah

http://www.discovermoab.com/canyonlandsnationalpark.htm

is home to some of North America's most varied and otherworldly terrain, accounting for its unusually high concentration of national parks. The "Mighty Five" Arches, Canyonland, Capitol Reef, Zion, and Bryce National Parks...all lie within 350 miles of each other (and the Grand Canyon is just across the state line). Gateway towns like St. George, Kanab, and Moab provide all the creature comforts when you're done hiking and sightseeing.

20. ChocoChock01

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.