2017 Arizona Spring Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Hoomi, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

While we're just barely done with the 2016 Arizona Spring Rally, I've already been thinking about the 2017 Spring Rally.

One comment made about Lost Dutchman was the lack of available shade at the park. One of the reasons we went with Lost Dutchman is that the early April date can go either way on the weather, and a higher altitude location might have been rather chilly. Lyman Lake, for example, has an average overnight low in April of 34 degrees (that's average, so some nights are going to be warmer, and others are going to be cooler).

Patagonia Lake State Park, though, has well-shaded campsites, the recreation of the lake which includes fishing, boating, swimming, hiking, etc., and a bit warmer overnight low in April. Patagonia is at the Southern edge of the State, a few miles east of the city of Nogales, Arizona. If we go with the first weekend in April as our target date, we're looking at Friday, March 31st through Sunday, April 2nd, and a two week buffer before Easter weekend.

Of course, with a year to plan, we have plenty of time to discuss, and spaces available to reserve are currently wide open.

http://www.azstateparks.com/Parks/PALA/index.html

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, and easy for me to get to. I hope to be able to have the time next year for it, assuming we all stay healthy. (Spending the time I would have been gone with my friend - her surgery is tomorrow - and some with my husband - who heads off to Paris for a business trip on next Sunday - was more important this time.)

3. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

I would love to participate. I know this is a bit selfish of me, but I would love to see perhaps 4/14-4/16/17 instead? are we tied down to the earlier date? I would love to go south - never camped in southern AZ, always North.

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Put us as a tentative--we camp once a month--our destination in this month is the Big Lake.

5. JustinD

JustinD New Member

4/16/17 is Easter Sunday. Doubt many people would want to go that weekend.

I'd be interested in the earlier date going the 1st weekend of April.

6. kitphantom

I'm with JustinD

7. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

I guess that explains why my son has a 4 day weekend. We will still probably go camping that weekend. Just a thought :)

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Subscribing, we are a maybe depending on when and where!!

If it is a smaller rally due to Easter, Clear Creek near Camp Verde was one of my favorite overall camping spots. Clean, quiet, pit toilets, running water throughout the CG, and a small iriigation ditch flowing through with Clear Creek across the road!!

9. Pockets

Pockets Member

Sounds interesting as always. We like the cooler weather idea.

10. Hoomi

Dang. I didn't realize it had been so long since I've been over here.

Shall we call it then for Patagonia State Park, March 31st - April 2nd, 2017? If so, we can start making reservations any time, and have a better chance of getting spots. The reservations page still shows lots of sites available, especially in the West Campground, but the longer we wait, the less selection we will have.

Okay. Our reservations are made for Site 64 in the West Campground. If, by chance, the rally fizzles, we'll just have a nice camping weekend anyway.

11. kitphantom

OK, I have site 75 reserved. Should be interesting, I haven't done a back-in with the TT solo in two years. I picked a site that looked like it had a good angle and wasn't too narrow.
    I was already planning to visit our friends in Tucson sometime in April, so if the timing works out with them, I can combine the two trips.
    We haven't done a lot in this section of AZ. We've camped towards the east, at Chiricahua, a few times. We stayed at Kartchner for Thanksgiving, and went as far as the San Pedro Riparian area.

12. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

I'm following this with interest.

It will be a long haul but thinking I can also explore Kartchner Caverns while out there. If I can make it at least a 3 night trip, I'll be in.

13. Hoomi

Kartchner Caverns is well worth the visit. We've taken the P'up there a couple of times, since it's a nice park and not too far from home. It makes for a good start-of-the-season shakedown trip for us.

Sorry Kit. I think I grabbed the last pull-through site that weekend.

Other attractions nearby are the Tumacacori Mission, the Tubac Arts district and Tubac Presidio State Park (no camping there), the Sonoita Wine Country (yeah, we do have vineyards and wineries here in Southern Arizona). Up towards Tucson, we have the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, the Pima Air and Space Museum (which also handles the tours through the Davis Monthan AFB "Boneyard") and the Titan Missile Museum, Tohono Chul Park, Biosphere 2, Sabino Canyon, Saguaro National Park, and Old Tucson Studios.

The city of Nogales, Arizona, is not too far from Patagonia Lake State Park, and has shopping for stuff you might have forgotten, or if you'd rather wait and get your groceries nearby instead of hauling them long-distance.

14. kitphantom

I need to re-learn how to back the TT up anyway. I got so I could do the Cobalt pretty well, but made the mistake of learning to look over my right shoulder. That does not work with the TT. I don't practice at home, our driveway is a 2-person parking job, my part is being spotter.

Kartchner was very nice. We did one of the tours, and will go back to do the other room. Our friends have taken a headlamp tour there as well. My husband suggested I could go back for a tour if I got bored, but I think I'll wait for another trip with him. (Not enough vacation time left from already planned trips for him to come to Patagonia.)

15. Hoomi

If you really enjoy exploring caves, have you visited Colossal Cave just outside of Tucson?

Unlike Kartchner Caverns, Colossal Cave is not a "living cave" still, and doesn't have the same restrictions on touching. You can even book something called a "Wild Cave Tour," that involves doing some climbing up the sides of some of the tunnels. We visited Colossal Cave for the first time on our anniversary earlier this year, and I keep thinking of going back for one of the Wild Cave Tours.

http://colossalcave.com/

There is a small campground at Colossal Cave Mountain Park, though it's pretty much barely above booneying. I would be more prone to book into a bit more developed campground, and just driving up to the park for the visit.

16. kitphantom

That's sounds like something DH would like. We've not visited Colossal Cave, since it's so far from where our friends live. We always have lots of things to keep us busy when we visit. Camping for Thanksgiving meant we didn't even get there this time.

17. Slush

Slush New Member

We are in site 60. See everybody there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Hoomi

wOOt. We're getting close to having enough people signed up to make this Rally official again!

19. Masques76

Masques76 New Member

So this is my first post. Also my first rally. Count me and my DH in for that weekend. Sounds like fun and I would like to meet people from this site. No reservations yet, but will post when site is reserved.
    Looking forward to meeting everyone

20. kitphantom

Glad you'll be coming to the Spring Rally. I haven't been to Patagonia SP yet, so this is yet another chance to meet up with Portal folks and explore a new area.

If you're looking to go a bit farther afield, follow the link in my signature line for info on the July Colorado Rally, which will be at Vallecito (near Durango).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.