2017 CA Winter Rally Round 2, Red Rock Canyon SP

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Haybale, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

We can play it by ear, the pot luck could be Sunday dinner also!!

2. Haybale

I just talked to Norm from the SP service. He said the water is drinkable at Red Rock, however not able to fill an RV due to low volume.

The dump station is not operational at Red Rock.

The Friends of Jawbone, no potable water, no dump station...

However the closest potable water and dump station to fill an RV are located at Sierra City developed CG.

http://www.sierracity.com/Stay/Camping.html

3. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

They are forecasting only 1/2" of rain as opposed to the 3-4 inches at my house so i'll be burning the midnight oil tonight again so I can get out there tomorrow afternoon and set up before the rain comes in. I'm hoping to be able to prep and load up everything in the morning but if it starts getting late and the traffic gets bad, i'll just wait till Saturday.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I remember the services for our phones was not strong at the camp but when I climbed up one mountain, i got good services... I wonder if the services improved over 2 years? I plan to contact any of you when you camp there and let me know which site is available.

5. Haybale

There is a cluster of sites straight in and across the CG along the canyon from the entrance that worked well last rally!!

Last year there wasn't cell service unless you went for a hike up.

6. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

We all bailed: nancyanddan and paulnpam. Flash flood warnings for Ricardo Campground and surrounding areas. Massive storm predicted starting tonight for all of SoCal.

Well, we at least got one night of camping!

How about a V3.0 Winter Rally in the near future?

7. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Well, I am cocked, locked, and ready to rock.

Heading out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jpaul

jpaul Member

Here is the latest, The CG is in exclent condition. We spent the last 4 days at the CG. There was drinking water. The camp sites and the access road was recently graded with aggregate. Runoff and drainage within the CG are well maintained. The day temp 75 with 55 nights.

The ranger said that their concern was the wash at the entrance at Hwy 14. There, intense rain could cause some breif flooding; You may have to wait it out.

Now I am trying to convince Pam to suit up and let's head back! We have been rained on the last 3 outtings; what's the problem? But I'm loosing. She is warm, dry and surrounded by convienence. We are not sleeping outside, we are off the ground in a popup with beds, refig, heat, lights, table, rugs and a stove. This is an outing don't call it camping. Yea I know the refig is small, as well as the table, And we need to conserve on battery power but__. Where is her sprit of adventure? Notice I haven't mentioned the vault toilets; but neither has she.

Oh well.

9. Halford

Is the site cash only and pay the ranger? It has been a while and I went to many campgrounds, they all have different payment systems!!! I plan to come Sat late morning or early afternoon.

Bringing a lot of firewood... Will have my ax sharpened tonight.

10. Haybale

What a fun rally, Mo was in just before me Thursday, Halford came in Saturday. As it turned out it was only guys/boys...

Thursday was a light rain, we had a good fire.

Friday it rained most of the day but it was mostly a light rain with a few heavy spouts, again a decent fire that night. I found another fossil tooth (bigger and curved) at the same spot as the fossil 2 years ago during that rally!!

Saturday we had a few sprinkles and a little rain in the morning, but it dried out as the day went on. The pot luck was a great hit!!!

Sunday was a beautiful day for hiking and checking out canyons!!

Monday had a light rain in the early morning, then the sun came out to pack up!!

We hiked a couple of places and a couple day trips down to Jawbone, the rest of the time was spent climbing into all the canyons, each completely different than the last.

Most nights were in the mid 40's and days were low 70's

For future reference the CG is $25/night ($12.50 with a disabled pass), FCFS, grab a spot and return to pay in cash at the front gate.

And currently the visitor center is closed, to bad as it is one of my favorites.

11. Halford

Yea, my teenage son had fun with Mo's and Haybale's sons... He enjoyed the exploring the canyons and hiking to top of the long mountain (more like tall hill)...

My son said that he will come again. I have a few pictures and will post it soon.

I had fun and will want to go to next rally somewhere again.

12. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

This rally was totally worth the rainy weather and cold nights. Great time. Kids loved climbing around, playing with JJ, getting muddy, and just being boys. Definitely enjoyed this father & sons trip. As we were leaving they asked when we will return.

Hal, great meeting you and you can still join us at the El Capitan SB Rally in April.

I'll post up some pics in a couple days.

13. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

So here's a few pictures of our rally.

Muddy base camp
    [​IMG]

One of a few waterfalls
    [​IMG]

Looking up from the outside
    [​IMG]

Looking up from the inside
    [​IMG]

Haybale (left), Mogimus (center), & Halford (right)
    [​IMG]

Washed away
    [​IMG]

The little ones
    [​IMG]

Rigde trail
    [​IMG]

Looking down
    [​IMG]

And a special thanks goes out to our very own park services road maintenance volunteer [:D]
    [​IMG]

14. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

15. Haybale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.