2017 Kentucky Solar Eclipse Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by phager76, Sep 23, 2016.

Solar Eclipse Rally?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2016.
  1. Heck Yeah, I'm In!

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nah, You'll Burn Your Eye Out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Well, I've looked high and low here, and found no rallies planned east of the Rockies for a Solar Eclipse Rally, so I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in going to one in Kentucky?

We've got a big family trip planned to Kentucky Dam Village from Aug 18th through the 25th at the north end of Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. I'm thinking the rally dates would be the 19th-21st. I've never done the wagon master thing, but I'm willing to give it a go. I figure if there's enough intrest we can move on to finaiizing the official dates from there.

So let me know what you think! I think this could be one epic rally for us east coast members!

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Will keep it in mind, however only concern I have is that the actual date for the eclipse is the 21st which falls on a monday, would have to take a extra day Off work, could be a problem for some. Depending on interest, a specific campground would also have to beselected, but will keep a eye on thread for further review

3. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Yep, the eclipse does fall on Monday the 21, so anyone attending would have to take at least one extra day off work. I'm hoping this won't be a huge issue being the summertime, but it's definitely something to take into account.

As for location, I'm thinking that Kentucky Lake Dam Resort ( https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kentucky+Dam+Village,+113+Administration+Dr.,+Gilbertsville,+KY+42044/@37.0118521,-88.2807376,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x887a665baa010a7f:0xad24e9bf412dfa6b will be the best choice, as it still has a good amount of available sites, as well as being located only a few miles for the path of greatest totality.

Now all that being said, I'm open to other suggestions, particularly from people local to the area. Since we're located ~8 hours away, it's a little difficult to personally scout the area!

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

fourhallatts likes this.
  4. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Any interest in this at all?

5. Heady

Heady Active Member

We are -8 hours a away as well, but have never seen an eclipse. Might be worth the burn of a few vac days.

6. tls2971

tls2971 Active Member

I have interest. I live in Kentucky and Land Between the Lakes is a beautiful area. However, the Monday day off does concern me because schools start here in August around the same time and I wouldn't want my kids to miss a school day that close to the start. However, I could always just come down for the weekend and hope to see the eclipse from Lexington.

7. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Can't make it due to kids/school but LBL is a nice area.

I've camped at Energy Lake campground (in between the lakes) and it's a nice campground that's more centrally located to all the things to do in the park. It's on a small lake that is dammed off from Lake Barkley so if you want to swim/kayak/fish you can walk there from the campground.

I'd also check out the Golden Pond Planetarium in the park...I'm sure they'll have something going on during the eclipse. They also break out their telescopes at night for the public to see which is pretty cool. If you get near Aurora, KY make sure to stop in to Belew's Dairy Bar...mmmm.

FYI - The ticks are legendary at LBL!

8. phager76

phager76 Active Member

I actually had to switch things up a bit since there was little interest. We've booked the weekend prior to the eclipse through Monday at Nolin SP near Bowling Green. If any one wants to join us, you're welcome to!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

9. tls2971

tls2971 Active Member

What site or area did you book at Nolin SP? We can't stay through the eclipse because school stars in KY on 8/16 (I can't justify missing two days of school so soon in the school year), but we can come down for the weekend. Right now it looks like there are only 5 sites available for the weekend before. Thank you! [8D]

10. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Sorry for the delay, we'll be in site 27 from the 19th till the 22nd. Fell free to stop by if you're there, I know we're planning to visit Mammoth caves on day. I went to Carlsbad caverns when I was younger, so I'd love to see how they compare.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have already made reservation at LBL COE Canal CG site 63

12. rexter1

rexter1 Member

We recently moved to Kentucky and I see you have plans for August 19th? I think we might join you. We will be driving from Louisville.

13. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

I'll be viewing (weather dependent of course) from the GA/NC/SC border intersection area.
    I'll be camping at Victoria Bryant in Royston, GA.
    Here's hoping for clear skies.

14. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

OH. MY. GOSH.
    I don't think it could have been any better.

My first choice campground had a late cancellation and my wait list position came up. I ended up at Mi Mountain in Franklin, NC, right in the totality path. My site was in the shade, but 30 feet south was in clear view of the whole spectacle.
    Speaking of spectacles, the eye wear type this time, I had a spare set of solar view glasses that I cut-up to make a lens cover for the camera.

100_1860.JPG
    100_1883.JPG

Once totality was here I used the un-filtered view.

100_1891.JPG
    100_1897.JPG

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  15. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We got totally shut out in st Joe MO. Heavy clouds and sustained drizzle. I am bummed and will be cranky about it for some time.

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We had a great time at Canal CG at LBL. No clouds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.