2017 Quad-State Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by ChocoChock01, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

We will switch back to this thread:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=96769.0

back to UT.

2. ChocoChock01

3. ChocoChock01

Looking for a volunteer WM. At this point our future trip planning is uncertain, but I can assist with planning and executing.

2017 is set for UT to complete the FIRST Quad-State set of rallies (NM, CO, AZ then UT).

4. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Is there any interest in going forward with the 2017 Quad State? Depending on when and where, I could step in as WM.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I think part of the problem was that no one came up with a site in Utah that met access from routes, reservations, etc. that wasn't too hot to consider for the usual June Rally date.

Off the top of my head, some options if we want to do another Quad-State in 2017:
    Move the date
    Skip Utah

The campground in Arches NP is scheduled to be closed for most of '17, so that may put pressure on other campgrounds in the Moab region. September at Jacob Lake AZ would be pretty. Dog Town Lake,outside Williams is also nice, and is closer to I-40. I love Escalante SP in UT, it's still sort of warm in Sept. and that CG isn't huge. It makes a good base for us to explore the region, incl Bryce NP.

We could combine it with the Colorado Rally already scheduled for July 10-16; the main potluck is the Saturday night, so would work with the usual length of the Quad-State Rally. Vallecito is about an hour east of Mesa Verde, where the '15 Quad-State Rally was.

[If the schedule works with what's already on my calendar, I'll attend. For the first time in several years we are not only taking two weeks at a time, but going in August - there's this little eclipse to view.]

6. Hoomi

Utah State Parks offer camping reservations. We've stayed at Palisade State Park a couple of times while visiting family in nearby Manti, Utah. Palisade wouldn't be a bad venue for a June Rally, as it's up around 5000 feet of altitude. The park has a lake, golf course, OHV trails, and the campsites are nicely maintained.

That said, it's by no means the only State Park in Utah.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/

If we want to have a Utah Quad State Rally, we can peruse some of those and see if any look like they would be a good fit.

7. kitphantom

We've stayed in several Utah SPs, but not Palisade - haven't done anything at all in that section of Utah. It looks interesting, and for accessibility from ABQ I could manage it with an overnight stop. At this point, I'm open for most of June, except for the first weekend.

Most of the state parks we have camped in would not be a great choice for June, too hot and possibly buggy. Green River is one of our usual places to use as a base or for overnight stop; we'll stop on the way to Wyoming in August. The others we've used are Escalante SP (also one of our usual destinations), Dead Horse Point, Snow Canyon; we tried Goblin Valley years ago but it was too windy for the tent. We visited Kodachrome Basin years ago, from Escalante, not camped there.

I hope others will chime in with ideas or yes/no comments.

8. kitphantom

Do you have a suggested campground at Palisade?

9. Hoomi

Palisade has three camping areas, all of which are fairly close to each other. They also have a couple of decent sized group areas, but I'm not sure of the availability of hook-ups in those. We've stayed in the new upper loop once, and in the south end of the older lower loop, closer to the lake shore. We had no problems with either spot.

The park is very popular on certain weekends. One thing we will need to do, if we choose Palisade, is verify the weekend of Pageant in nearby Manti, as Palisade is near enough that it is used as accommodations by people coming in to Manti for Pageant. We do our best to avoid being in town that weekend, as any accommodations go up in price, and sell out early.

It is a nice park, though, with a nice lake and beautiful scenery. The fishing in the lake seems to be good. I've never fished there, but on our previous stays, we did see people catching some nice looking fish.

Just looked it up. The Mormon Miracle Pageant next year is on the weekends of June 15-17 and 20 - 24.

10. kitphantom

That would leave June 2-4 (I'm out for that, we'll be at Grand Canyon) and 9-11. Maybe June 30-July 2, but that's sort of iffy, since it runs up to the July 4th holiday.

If the non-festival weekends don't work for Palisade, are there other campgrounds to try? Not sure how accessible southern Utah is for possible attendees. Here's one that is high, 1/2 hour from Bryce, and takes reservations. We have not camped here, so not sure how the campground is - no hookups (not an issue for me, but for others?), trails, fishing, canoeing off-road trails in the area. However, we're already within the 6-month reservation window, UT SPs have the advantage at the moment of being 4-month windows.
    ETA: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/pine-lake-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70103

11. ChocoChock01

I will most likely be able to make 2017 Quad-State!

As far as the date or the rotation, that is all negotiable by the WM and participants.

The problem with UT has been the heat in June, and the June date as to not encroach on the CO Annual Rally.

But it would be nice to keep the Quad-State theme going since UT and NM had never had a Portal Rally before.

12. kitphantom

I hope it can get underway and that I'll be able to attend too. Except for the Colorado Rally, I'll be solo at any rallies this year, with the other trips we have planned using up all of DH's vacation time. It will be great to see the folks that can manage to attend any of the rallies.

13. Hoomi

Pine Lake looks like it wouldn't be too bad. Close to Bryce and Capitol Reef NPs, and not too far from beautiful downtown Panquitch ;) .

14. ChocoChock01

perfect, puts it at 600 miles and the dates[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]?[/font]

15. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

we are following the topic...

16. kitphantom

I'm in as long as it isn't the first weekend! I just did a quick glance at 9-11, 16-18, and 23-25, and all look like about half of a bit more of the sites are still available.

17. ChocoChock01

I'm open for 16-18 & 23-25.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

18. Hoomi

We'll get a firm date sometime today, and get this on track!

19. kitphantom

Will look forward to making plans and seeing you all.

20. kitphantom

Any decision on the dates?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.