2017 SoCal-ish Spring Party/Rally @ El Capitan SB

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Mogimus, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Beach camping anyone...... well, on the bluff?

We will be at El Capitan SB on Fri April 21 - Sun 23, three weeks after the 2017 Arizona Spring Rally and 1 week after Easter. It's located about 20 minutes north of Santa Barbara. Friends and family are booked in sites 113, 115, & 117. There are restrooms, hot showers, water, and a convenience store (don't remember if they are open in April though). Downside, fee's are $45/night plus the RA fees and there is no dump station.

Check it out at Reserve America. Reservation window starts 6 months in advanced but since it will still be early for their camping season, there are several sites still available as of today..... which wont be today if you're reading this tomorrow, or any other day that is not today [:D]

Here are some google pictures.

[​IMG]

2. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Ok, this sounded like a really good idea so I went ahead and booked #116.

Then, went to put it on the calendar and saw my son has his wedding scheduled for that weekend.

Dilemma???

I did the right thing and went to cancel ReserveAmerica for $15.50 Transaction fee.
    I am sure that was the right decision, but next time I will look at the calendar first! [:D]

3. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Bummer dood.....

The worst part is that nonrefundable BS fee's from RA.

Just so you know, they do have wedding ceremonies at the beach. Tell your son [:D]

4. patrick bermudez

patrick bermudez new member my pups name is (it"ll do )

ok , were in 2 adults 2 grandkids . age 16 GD ., GS. AGE 13 . RESERVED CAMPSITE 111 , Arriving Thurday april 20th and leaveing sunday the 23rd campsite 111 WILL BE LOOKING FOREWARD TO MEETING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

5. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Cool deal Patrick. With you makes 3. Full rally or mini rally, it'll be a good time. I am rethinking my stay and might reserve Thursday night as well. We'll see...

Good thing is its November and there is still opening for that weekend.

6. minicamperbeth

minicamperbeth New Member

We cant make it for April, but I found this topic when searching for info on this CG because we might go in June.

Any reviews from people who've stayed here before? I don't want to take this topic on a tangent, so point me elsewhere if necessary. Thanks

7. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Hello minniecamperbeth,

I've been coming out this way for about 3 years now and enjoy this campground. The campground itself is on a bluff, full of trees and shade (specially the first two loops). Kind of like camping in the mountains with the sounds of waves crashing in the background. I have had a few encounters with wild life while there. In two separate occasions, while camping in the first loop, Pepe Le Pew's presence was strong and was visited nightly. They are friendly little critters, but the first time I saw them they kind of freaked me out as they walked towards me without being bothered by my DW's panic and screams. I've also had raccoons come and steal my breakfast overnight while in the second loop. That was entirely my fault as I didn't think they would reach the cooler or even open it where it was located. They sure showed me [:O]

Personally, I believe loop three has the best campsite (#84) and has the newer and more private bathrooms/showers in the park but also, the top of loops 3 and 4 have the most train and road noise. The east part of the park has a couple nature trails that make for easy hikes. The beach is just a short walk down the trail. There is a main beach area by the camp store/day use area and there is also beach access down a flight of stairs in the canyon between loops 3 and 4. The beach has a lot of rocks and pebbles along the cliff and some sand by the water's edge. During high tide, you won't find a place to sit on the sand without getting wet... but then again, you're at the beach.

You can also find some online reviews at TripAdvisor and Yelp if you haven't already. I like to go into Google Map and do a virtual walk through as their "street view" goes through the entire campground and even through the beach area. Kinda cool! [8D]

Good luck with your reservations. I know getting in during summer time can tough as the booking window for June openned up this month.

8. MRCLEAN92626

MRCLEAN92626 Member

We're looking into booking site 117 or 119. We have been to this campground, but have spent the last three years at Carpentaria for Memorial weekend and love that area. We'll keep you posted!

9. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Sounds good MRCLEAN92626.

If it was me, i'd recommend site 119. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with 117. It's just that I already booked it and i don't want to get bumped [:O]

Haybale likes this.
  10. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

We just booked 118 for Thursday 4/20 - Monday 4/24! We haven't made it to a Rally since (I think) the Anza Borrego get-together earlier this year. We did go to the Dark Side last June and though in some ways we miss our beloved pup it's just so much easier for us 70-something seniors. :)

So, I assume we'll have the customary potluck on Saturday evening? Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Chocochoc01, we'll miss you! How about Haybale and Patrick, Camp Freak, Camp Addict, PaulnPam, are any of you thinking of coming? The nearby sites are filling up for that weekend.

11. MRCLEAN92626

MRCLEAN92626 Member

That was a typo Mogimus, I meant sites 118 and 119. My mistake. Anyway Nancy and Dan just got 118, I went ahead and booked site 119. See you all at the beach!

12. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I'm in, site 73, only fitting as my pup is a 1973!!! [8D]

[CP] [CP] [CP]

So far just me and Patrick, unless the US and Russia deals for wives gets a little cheaper $30k is a bit steep for now.... [LOL] [LOL] [:!]

13. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

That makes 5, an official rally is on!!!

14. minicamperbeth

minicamperbeth New Member

Thanks Mogimus!

15. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Official we are [:D]

Here's what I have so far:

Attendees List | Site | Adult/s | Kid/s | Arriving | Potluck - Saturday 4/22 - Time TBD
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mogimus | 117 | 4 | 2 | 4/20 | ?
    Mogimus SIL | 115 | 2 | 4 | 4/20 | ?

Camp Addict | 113 | 2 | - | 4/21 | ?

patrick bermudez | 111 | 2 | 2 | 4/20 | ?

nancyanddan | 118 | 2 | - | 4/20 | ?

MRCLEAN92626 | 119 | 2? | ? | 4/21 | ?

Haybale | 73 | 1* | 1 | 4/21 | ?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Quantity may change in the event of a "US and Russia deals for wives" or some serious fundraising [LOL]

Here's a map from Reserve America. As of 12/21, there are still 23 sites available in the other loops.

[​IMG]

16. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

As of this morning (1/03) there are 8 sites available, 7 of which are handicap sites. Any one else that was interested make a reservation?

17. patrick bermudez

patrick bermudez new member my pups name is (it"ll do )

The way it looks unless I misunderstood the news cast but El Capitan sp campground is closed indefintly due to flooding the small river overflowed washed away cabins and approx. 20 cars. can the wagon master please check into this ? thank you Patrick

18. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Patrick, I believe the part of El Capitan that was heavily damaged is a private campground across 101 from the state campground where the Rally is planned. I'm sure we'll find out more details soon, including if El Capitan State Beach Campground is affected.

19. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I might can come to this Rally Wait N See...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.