2017 Tacoma review

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by Arlyn Aronson, May 21, 2018.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Folks, Last fall we sold our CR-V and picked up a 2017 Tacoma. Its the SR version with manual transmission and 4 banger, which is the lowest or most plain version they build, but we've really liked it so far. Would anyone be interested in its towing/camping review?

tacomatruck.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

No doubt it will be a reliable long lasting truck.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My wife has the Tacoma TRD, with hood scoop etc. she loves it. I hate driving it, the darn drivers seat is to uncomfortable to me. I usually drive My Ford F150

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I wouldn't mind the ATV;)

5. Arlyn Aronson

If anyone would be interested in a towing/camping review of this Tacoma. Just let us know.

6. paepae805

paepae805 Member

Greetings from Green Bay WI. I have a 2012 Tacome SR5 Double Cab 4*4. I am picking up my first PUP from Appleton next week. Has a dry weight of 2500 and change and gross of 3600 plus. I have the tow package which is rated up to 6500lbs. I've only towed a small uhaul trailer before. I went with a PUP instead of a TT because I have more confidence in something smaller. Just wondering how your Tacoma is for towing. Thanks

7. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

I will add my .02$. Have been towing pop ups for eight years with Tacoma's V6 and tow package. Never had an issue towing in the mountains. Now tow a 3100 lb travel trailer and no problems.
    Tow capacity is there to sell vehicles not for the real world.

Arlyn Aronson and Rik Peery like this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm curious how it compares to my 4 Runner. I was told when I bought my 4Runner that is was pretty identical to the Tacoma however I recently found there were some differences between the two. I tow my 3500 popup with little problems. Only on the steepest of inclines does the power suck right out. To the point my AC quit running so the car can use the power to where it needed it. According to my manual I cant use a WDH. I was really looking at upgrading to a 4 door Tacoma but do love how I can keep my stuff out of the weather in the SUV.

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. Arlyn Aronson

paepae, We don't have the tow package but do have a manual transmission and 4 banger engine. Maybe we should have got the tranny cooling package? (;-) I can't recall what Toyota claimed its towing capacity is. To date, its done fine towing with about 400lbs in the bed, plus maybe another 1100 for the camper fully loaded. (all gesstimations mind you) It's not a power house and I'm not sure we'd tow a 2000lb camper with it. We do have real hills here....

Since to have you on the forum with us.

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

The 4 Runner should be OK if you tow in 4 while in hilly areas, OD for pretty much level terrain; I have a 2010 4 door Taco, that's how I do it, no "gear searching"...***I have the SR5 tow package; thinking maybe the TRD model 6 cyl. may be more powerful, not sure...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Taco
    Tacoma World is a great site for all kinds of stuff! Found this for you, I'd be interested in a review for kicks & giggles to see how it performs w/out the tow package, hilly here where we are too... https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/towing-with-the-2-7l-i4.4539/

12. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

I have a 2013 sr Tacoma

13. Arlyn Aronson

Nice to have you here with us Brad! Nonetheless, we are planning to replace our taco and might get the new Ranger. We've not been that happy with it. (now a bunch of people will start rumbling)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Brad Jackson likes this.
  14. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

Thanks...its nice to be here, I really like this group...I like seeing how different people camp also

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Nonetheless, we are planning to replace our taco and might get the new Ranger. We've not been that happy with it. (now a bunch of people will start rumbling)[/QUOTE]
    Watch out on the 2019 Ranger...With the 4 cly engine, to change the oil filter, the left front tire has to come off to access a panel just to get to the filter.

16. NMroamer

No need of a review for me. Bought a 2008 Tacoma 4 cylinder thinking that I might be able to pull a 1100 lb popup. Was so disappointed just driving it that I traded it for a V6 and never looked back.
    i know that there is a lot of reasons why people here try to tow with small vehicles. It didn't work for me.

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. Arlyn Aronson

Our disappointments are more weather related than towing. It towed our Quicksilver 6.0 camper just fine, problem was, we subsequently got a larger trailer it doesn't have the ummp for but we hadn't planned to get,,, but that's not Toyota's fault we got the 4 banger... Its fuel mileage rockes! Better than our Hondu Element ever gets. Disappointments came into play when its cold out. We rolled the windshield rubber seal off when scraping ice off the windshield. Don't they get ice in Texas??. The dash buttons are to small, you can't actuate them with gloves on. The flasher button is very easy to depress, and right next to the fan control button. So guess whats turned on all the time?? Its rear view mirrors click adjustment moves to easily, so while brushing snow off them, it knocks them adjustment off all the time. Doesn't it ever snow down there?? Its normal backup gear-ratio and speed is pretty high! Its to hard to get the transfer-case into low to assist with that.

What I'm I forgetting??

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  18. Arlyn Aronson

copied from https://www.motor1.com/news/300071/ford-ranger-oil-change/

Because of the Ranger's larger oil cooler, the oil filter sticks out the left side of the engine at a 90-degree angle to the cylinders, rather than near the oil pan. That meant, according to the report, owners had to pluck an entire wheel off, remove an unspecified number of the nine fasteners that holds the wheel well liner on, and then use an “end cap tool” to remove the filter. Sounds like a pain in the ass.

But in a tweet to our friends at Autoblog (and instigated by Motor Authority's Joel Feder), Levine talked through the actual procedure for replacing the Ranger's oil filter. Techs will simply need to remove three of nine fasteners in the wheel well. They'll then peel back the liner and gain access to the oil filter. Voila.

19. NMroamer

I don't care about anything else that might make the Ranger a better vehicle that is a deal breaker for me.
    Those plastic fasteners were not meant for that.

Have been cursing plastic fasteners on all makes of vehicles all my life.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Rik Peery, xxxapache and neighbormike like this.
  20. Ryan45

Ryan45 New Member

Ditto on the Ranger. As a Ranger owner, I was very excited to see it being released but disappointed it came with the EcoBoost. Not dissing the engine at all, but I think if you plan on owning the vehicle for years, not a great idea. Leasing I'd say go for it!
    Eventually I could see them toss in the new 3.3L V6 that's in the F150 (very similar to the 3.7L that's in the previous generation.) If they want to sell it commercially, they have to make a base reliable engine. I'd consider a double cab F150 with the 3.3L. I think with my setup (2014 F150 Supercab, 2WD 3.7L w/ 3.73 gears) I can tow around 6500lbs, I think the new 3.3L is around 7500. Positive with the V6 is you get decent mileage unhitched, downside is you may see worse mileage towing than the 5.0L V8, although you may not see it until you benchmark it with a travel trailer.

Overall, I say do some test driving and make your decision from there! Some dealers may even let you do a test run with the trailer on the back if you are seriously interested in purchasing.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019