2017 Tacoma review

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by Arlyn Aronson, May 21, 2018.

1. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

My father in law has a V6 Tacoma, with extended cab, that we can use pretty much whenever. The Boy (my son) crammed a U-Haul full of crap and we pulled that thing from Manitowoc WI to our home in Sector 706 without a hiccup. It hardly noticed Monteagle, that steep grade on I-75 just north of Chattanooga. So if you're looking at a Tacoma, the V6 version should give you no grief.

jackquontee and Rik Peery like this.
  2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Looks like we'll be getting a new Ranger. Test drove one last week and really liked it,,, but actually getting one will take some time. New thread??

3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Good luck w/ it, have a 2010 SR5 4 door Taco & a '98 extended cab TRD, if I switch, it'll be to a Tundra, may someday flip to the dark side...

4. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

I have been considering a Ranger after reading a Car and Driver road test. With a 7k.lb trailer package, SX trim, automatic, upgraded interior they can be had for less than 30K. That a pretty good deal and availability here in Knoxville is very good. I like the gold color with a black deluxe interior.

5. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

The 4 door Colorado 6 cyl can also be had for under $30, tax and tags out the door.
    Had a Ranger once. It was one of those “always something” vehicles.
    Hope you have better luck.

6. Arlyn Aronson

The Colorado would not be good for us with less HP and bad experiences with GM products over the years. The Ford ranger has more HP and torque than the V-6 Tacoma and the Colorado. Ford also rated its HP and torque at less RPM's. I'm not necessarily a fan of Eco boost (turbo charged?) the Fords have but they have been around for years with customers having little grief with. Nothing is perfect.

7. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Would like to hear a real world report on the Ranger towing.
    My 2015 Tacoma is rated for 6500 lbs towing but there is no way I would tow more than my 3000 lb travel trailer here on the South end of the Rocky mountains.
    Tow capacity is meant for sea level.

8. Arlyn Aronson

I agree, but many folks will claim something works fine, after they've spend X dollars on a new vehicle. We just try to stay well below whatever the manufacture "claims" is its max towing capacity. Our trailer is within that Toyota claims is its capacity. But its not, in our experience of towing.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    NMroamer likes this.