2017 Total Eclipse

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by strangebird22, Jan 11, 2013.

1. strangebird22

strangebird22 Member

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_us.htm

I know it is quite a ways off yet, but I was just wondering if anyone is planning a camping trip to be in the path of the total eclipse? Being from central Ohio we will probably try to go somewhere in Ky or Tenn. Looks like The Land Between the Lakes will be prime viewing, but likely impossible to get reservations for that time. Does anyone know how far in advance you can reserve sites there?
    Also how far would you have to travel to get to a good viewing area in the path? For us it will be a 400 to 500 miles, but well worth it for something I probably wont get the chance to see again in my lifetime [:!]

BTW I wonder if anyone is thinking of planning an Eclipse rally. That I would definitely be interested in :)

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've discussed meeting with friends somewhere in Wyoming, it would gives a good excuse to camp together somewherenotherthan AZ and UT. (Those are the handiest places given our homes.) That's as far as we've gotten in planning.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Oh shoot, I have plans for that weekend already. :D

That would be cool to do an "Eclipse Rally". The LBL website says reservations can be made up to six months in advance. I called the park and left a message to see if any plans are being made to extend that for the weekend (Fri-Mon since the eclipse is on a Monday) for the eclipse.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. magic612

magic612 New Member

The path of totality runs quite a ways, and the distance from mid-eclipse that is not much more than a few seconds of difference from longest totality stretches a ways. This map can help you plot a number of alternate locations. Even as far west as St. Joseph MO is still only 5 seconds less totality than mid-eclipse:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

I have several friends near Carbondale IL, which ought to be another good location. I will definitely be heading that direction to spend time with them that day. :)

5. bropaul

bropaul New Member

WOW!!! Health permitting, we will be in Tennessee!!! After looking at the eclipse map, we both have cousins in Gallatin and Lebanon... and the Lebanon cousin has ten acres and WE have an invitation to pop-up anytime! We'll have to be thinking on that one... Here's hoping we all stay healthy and camping!

Diane

6. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Salem is the capitol of Oregon. I think that this will get a lot of attention when the time draws near.

7. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Talked to the family and we're "in" although we'll more likely be in MO or southern IL. Also, they're more interested if we...UGH, hotel it.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Just got a call back from LBL and as of now they have not plans to do any advance reservations for the date in question.

There are many local privately owned campgrounds in the area of LBL. Perhaps we can made make arrangements with one of them for a rally. If someone in the area wants to take the lead and do some recon of local campgrounds, please let me know.

9. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Twisty, would you be interested in helping locate a rally spot in OR? No Hurry!

10. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Yes.

11. ChocoChock01

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

OK, now this is COOL! I saw a 70% eclipse in Minnesota about 40 years ago and an annular eclipse at Bryce Canyon last Spring but never a total eclipse. This is something I'm willing to mark my calendar for and plan everything else around it. Maybe we want to be somewhere over in the eastern, high desert part of Oregon (along US 26) for less crowding and better viewing. I suspect everything in the Willamette Valley will be pretty full and crowded. Maybe we can even make it a boondocking rally.

13. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Looks like the path goes right over the Sawtooths in Idaho , I'll be standing on one of those peaks in the Boulder/ Whiteclouds !

14. strangebird22

strangebird22 Member

Now if only we knew that it will be sunny that day. Anyone know where to get a long range forecast [LOL]

15. ChocoChock01

let me check with some of my connections!

Unstable has some sites he uses, he may need to upgrade his membership!! [LOL]

I think we might need to come up with some possible alternate locations since it will be boondocking, where we can shift if need be.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Well, as all astronomers know, we really are at the mercy of the sky conditions. I think there are two things going for us if we hold the rally in central to eastern Oregon, east of the Cascades. First, it will be mid-summer and the PNW weather is usually pretty good then. Second, when it does get cloudy, it's usually in the west and the Cascades can catch and hold clouds coming in from the Pacific. There are many times when it is cloudy on the west side of the mountains and clear on the east side. Ultimately though, if the area is overcast there is generally little to do about it except to travel out of the region. We missed half of the annular eclipse at Bryce Canyon in Utah last year because of clouds.

17. canuckblues

canuckblues Member

I would be interested in an eclipse rally.
    There also seems to be a point on route 66 that it intersects
    Might be a good area for a get together
    The only problem is weather
    I have already informed my work That I will be retiring August 1st 2017 so I can go Eclipse chasing

18. ChocoChock01

Perfect Timing!!

Because we are not moving the date of the rally!

19. canuckblues

canuckblues Member

Its been 2 years since the last posting and just over 2 years until the main event
    Has anyone thought anymore on a suitable site for an eclipse rally ?

20. ChocoChock01

UT was scoping out some areas, but we do need to start ramping this back up since there should be a large demand for spots in the line of totality!![​IMG]