2018 - 2nd Annual CT Rally July 13-15

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by stefie19, Oct 4, 2017.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Sure! Lower degree of difficulty. Would it be like doping?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Would the 13th just GET HERE already!

Strawhouse likes this.
  3. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

If you were coming in on the 11th, it'd be closer...just sayin'

Strawhouse and shelmily like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Oh C'MON! That's not fair!

stefie19 and Strawhouse like this.
  5. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I wish I could hit the like button more than once Steph. That was good! [LOL][LOL]

stefie19 and Strawhouse like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

OK then. That's it. Generator running every day in VT to make sure I don't run too low on battery. Extra large megaphone exhaust is my next project. I hear the Army is doing great research into focused sound as an area denial tool.

7. shelmily

LOL, that's fine, my mom is half deaf anyway, and I have noise cancelling headphones I will be sure to bring along! [LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL]

By the way Steph, put me down for Parmesan Chicken for the potluck.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Well well well, Mike, don't you just have all the answers! Actually you really do have a lot of answers. But that's beside the point!
    Parm chicken sounds awesome.

9. shelmily

I can't let you think you have the upper hand you know. :p

JimmyM likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

[LOL][LOL][LOL]

11. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Yum! Can't wait for next week!

12. shelmily

So I don't want to alarm anyone, but I am having technical difficulties with the camper. The current state of the camper is not good. If you all remember I blew a fuse when pulling in the slide from the PA rally. Well, I now know why. I opened up the camper the other day to do some work, and when I put the slide out, it proceeded to tear a hole in the middle of the vinyl floor in front of the couch. Needless to say I was beyond not happy. Anyway, upon investigation as to why this happened, It all comes down to the crappy construction these things are built with. So my slides center support roller pulled it's screws out of the floor and was laying on it's side. the center of the slide dropped over an inch and dug into the floor. It doesn't appear as though anything it rotted or damaged, but now I have to fix this and get it back together before next Tuesday. I will keep everyone up to date, and take some pictures too. Does anyone have room for some guests, just in case?

13. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Crap! :(
    I’d be more than happy to have Peggy bunk in with me. :) Just let me know by Monday, so I can make up her bed before I close and hook up my trailer Monday night in prep for my Tuesday a.m. departure.

14. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Oooohhhh nooooo! Our slide dropped last year and I freaked out. Luckily we were still under warranty and our dealer took care of us. Not a good feeling for sure! I hope you can resolve this and make it up for the rally!

Jake actually prefers our couch as a bed if given the option so the back bunk is open if needed.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Oh crap, Mike! Well, we know what was causing the high current draw now. That really sucks.
    It's always been my theory that these things are built like they were racing to see how quickly they could build one.

Take pictures and post! There's gotta be a way to get it fixed.

16. shelmily

Well I spent most of the day yesterday working on this piece of crap. Thank God the air conditioner still works! So here are some Pics.
    The camper is pretty much tore apart right now (but don't worry I have tools and can fix it)
    [​IMG]
    This is the tear In the vinyl that started the whole mess.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the support is leaning over pretty sharply. It actually pulled the lag screws out of the floor on the back mounting holes.
    [​IMG]
    It was bent over so far It caved in the wheel well and was pinching the slide motor wiring. Luckily it didn't do any permanent damage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once I jacked the slide up enough to get the support out, I realized it had sagged about an inch and was twisting the rails for the slide mechanics. Luckily they are adjustable and no damage occurred. I was able to straiten everything out and get it re-aligned. For whatever reason, the geniuses at Forest River decided that this center support of a 16 foot super slide only needed to be bolted to the 1/2" plywood floor with 1/4" lag screws. They had no blocking or anything else to bite into. To top it off this whole assembly is bolted within an inch of the edge of the plywood. All I can say is WOW! So, I ended up drilling through the entire floor assembly and running bolts through it, then making a steel plate for underneath and bolting the whole assembly together. The good news is the slide is back to functioning form, I have patched the tear in the floor, and just need to get things cosmetically put back together. So it looks like you all can look forward to seeing me next week after all. Sorry for the long thread hijack. Let the rejoicing begin!

17. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

What a relief Mike! So glad that you were able to get it fixed and we'll see you on Wednesday.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Nice work! May I suggest some sort of brace to reinforce it? You could use some 1"x1/8" aluminum and brace it to the top of the wheel well. Prevent the support from trying to bend that long arm over. Through drill, stainless screw and some fender washers. Otherwise any drag on that wheel will try to break off the edge of the plywood.
    You fixed the damage, now correct their lousy design.

See you in CT!

19. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Wow Mike, sorry to see your camper woes. It really is incredible how poorly all campers are built. I am glad you were able to get it repaired. Honestly, I have no idea what RV owners do if they aren't handy enough to work on their camper themselves !! Imagine having to drop your camper off @ Camping World and wait for them to get to it when they can get to it ( while summer passes by ) ???

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Exactly!! Either Camping World or have great camping friend.