2018 Ford Bronco as a Tow Vehicle?

internetauthor

First Time PuP Owner in Texas!
Jun 13, 2015
I'm not looking to trade in the 2010 Expedition anytime soon, but I will admit the 2018 Bronco has caught my eye based on what I've been reading and seeing.

I have a smaller pop-up that weighs in under 3k for tow weight and corresponding hitch weight. The Expedition is more than enough to get us where we want to go. I'll admit that I'm not good enough with engine specs and such to be able to answer what are probably some simple questions for those of you with engine-type minds.

From what I can tell, most of the conversation about the Broncos is still speculative, but here is what I've found about the engines:

" The base model of the 2018 Ford Bronco will likely hit the market with a 2.0 liter EcoBoost offering over 250 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque. A 6 speed manual is likely while a 10 speed automatic should be offered as an option. The top end model could get two different engine choices. The gas engine would be a twin-turbo V6 with north of 310 horsepower and 370 lb-ft of torque. A 3.0 liter V6 diesel with over 240 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque is also a real possibility."

And if anyone knows things and is willing to share wisdom, here are my questions:

1) Right now I tow with a gas-powered V8. How does a diesel-powered V6 compare?

2) One thing I love about towing my little pup with my big SUV is I have zero-zip-nada decrease in my gas mileage when I tow. (My cute pup fits right in my slipstream). Any guesses on what would happen with a slightly smaller SUV with the diesel V-6?

Just as an FYI, I'm looking down the road and brainstorming for mid or large-size SUV options that will tow easily and then give me some rugged off-roading capabilities for mountains, deserts, and beaches, etc.

NMroamer

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2016
Albuquerque NM
I would check with some F150 owners about towing.
The motors are similar and would be a good place to start on an untested vehicle.

geekgurl64

Jul 19, 2009
Washington, Michigan
We just bought a 2017 Ford F-150 with Ecoboost. Towing weight is 12,500 lbs. I don't remember hitch weight. The only reason I know this is because my dear, non camper, husband wants to buy a bigger TT. We went to a RV show last night and he fell in love with a 37 ft TT with an outside kitchen and big screen TV. I don't get it. Why go camping when all you want to do is sit inside and watch TV?? That is why I love our PUC because you are actually camping with the perks of not sleeping on the ground. BTW, he has camped three out of the four times we have gone out this summer with our new 2018 Coachmen Clipper Classic.

geekgurl64

Jul 19, 2009
Washington, Michigan
I'm not looking to trade in the 2010 Expedition anytime soon, but I will admit the 2018 Bronco has caught my eye based on what I've been reading and seeing.

I have a smaller pop-up that weighs in under 3k for tow weight and corresponding hitch weight. The Expedition is more than enough to get us where we want to go. I'll admit that I'm not good enough with engine specs and such to be able to answer what are probably some simple questions for those of you with engine-type minds.

From what I can tell, most of the conversation about the Broncos is still speculative, but here is what I've found about the engines:

" The base model of the 2018 Ford Bronco will likely hit the market with a 2.0 liter EcoBoost offering over 250 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque. A 6 speed manual is likely while a 10 speed automatic should be offered as an option. The top end model could get two different engine choices. The gas engine would be a twin-turbo V6 with north of 310 horsepower and 370 lb-ft of torque. A 3.0 liter V6 diesel with over 240 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque is also a real possibility."

And if anyone knows things and is willing to share wisdom, here are my questions:

1) Right now I tow with a gas-powered V8. How does a diesel-powered V6 compare?

2) One thing I love about towing my little pup with my big SUV is I have zero-zip-nada decrease in my gas mileage when I tow. (My cute pup fits right in my slipstream). Any guesses on what would happen with a slightly smaller SUV with the diesel V-6?

Just as an FYI, I'm looking down the road and brainstorming for mid or large-size SUV options that will tow easily and then give me some rugged off-roading capabilities for mountains, deserts, and beaches, etc.

Ahhhh, I get it. Your 2016 TT has a very similar layout to what my hubby wants to buy. HA!!

internetauthor

First Time PuP Owner in Texas!
Jun 13, 2015
Ahhhh, I get it. Your 2016 TT has a very similar layout to what my hubby wants to buy. HA!!

Yup. We have the fancy 31 footer with the recliners, shower, bunk beds and television for when the hubby camps with us. He pulls that one with a Ram 1500. We will actually be replacing his vehicle first - we are a bit underpowered to safely cruise up and down mountains despite a tow rating of 10,000+ on a 7k lb camper. It's always hitch weight, braking, and torque that get you in the end.

I want something smaller than an F250 Diesel to tow my pup, preferably with really nice off-road capabilities. My Expedition has a nice high clearance, but it's not 4x4 and weighs a lot. I like the cargo space an SUV provides for camping and the rest of my busy life with two boys and scouts, etc.

West Coast Canuck

Jumped to the dark side ......
Mar 3, 2005
As a Ford tech of 35 years, don't but a first year vehicle
I agree, I always wait a couple of years. My neighbour has a 2014 Jeep Cherokee that he bought when they first came out and he has had a few issues with it and a recall to reflash the transmission. I have a 2016 model that I have put just over 40,000 kms on and it has been flawless.

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
I'd be pretty surprised if they do drop the upcoming 3.0L diesel V6 into the new Bronco. It's coming to the F-150 next year. It would be more logical for it to make it into the Expedition if it's successful. By putting it in the Bronco, it could canabalize those sales. I think a smaller diesel like the 3.2L 5-cyl in the Transit van with 185 hp/350lb-ft torque makes more sense in the smaller Bronco, and it would be more in line with the GM's diesel in the their midsize trucks. After all, the Bronco will be based on the new Ranger, which will be a direct competitor with the Colorado/Canyon.

The gas turbo V6 will likely be the 2.7L ecoboost. They just upped it's power in the F-150 this year to 325hp/400 lb-ft. Surprisingly (to me at least) this is the best selling engine in the F-150 now, so it wouldn't surprise me if they detuned it to not canabalize F-150.

D_Gibb

Jul 20, 2016
As a Ford tech of 35 years, don't but a first year vehicle

I'll expand on this - Always buy mid-cycle. Don't buy the first year so they have a chance to work out the kinks. Don't buy the last year or so of a model/model style because the OEMs will have put so many cost saving engineering changes, the best bang for your buck year 2 or 3 of a 5 year platform.

FarmerDave

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I went from pulling with a 7.3L turbo intercooled diesel V-8 to a 3.5L turbo intercooled gasoline V-6.

All I can say is HP & torque numbers count more than engine size or cylinder count.

threebeachboys

Jul 18, 2005
I am also waiting for the new Bronco and hope it will tow my Aliner. Though not sure my 2001 Expedition with 155k will last long enough. I don't want to buy the first year, so would have to wait until 2021 model. Also hope I can afford one!

TDS-MN

Sep 29, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I am another who is anticipating the new Bronco. Who knows if we will still have the current pup or will have maybe upgraded to something a little larger by the time it is released, but I like what I have seen of the concept vehicles and am hoping that it will be a capable tow vehicle with enough muscle under the hood, whatever engine they settle on.

Winchested

Jun 19, 2015
I'm also dreaming of a 2020+ bronco as my DDriver. The base with a 6 speed manual. We might never see it though if the 2018-2020 rangers don't sell well.

WunFiddy

Oct 28, 2017
Loserpeg, Manitoba
I tow my 2000# dry weight pop up with my 3.7 V6 super cab f150 (modded and heavy with cargo drawer and topper) with little issue. I'd personally max it out at 3500-4000# for towing, heaviest I routinely tow is around 3000# in my enclosed 5x10 work trailer.
I'd expect the supposed bronco would have a turbo four for base engine and maybe the new 3.3 duratec as a V6 option and maybe the 2.7 EcoBoost as a top end option . Really not sure yet how they want to slot the bronco, if it is meant more to go after the Jeep Wrangler and discontinued Xterra as a body on frame 4x4.
Father in Law's best friend tows a 5000# HTT with a new Diesel Colorado. Other than needing stick on tow mirrors to see around it, he gets better fuel economy an range towing it then he used to get city driving in his Nissan frontier 4.0