2018 Jayco Jay Sport 12SC. Advice?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Michel, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Michel

Michel Member

Hello,

As the kids are a bit bigger (3 and 5 this spring), I want to go back to a pop-up. I had an old one years ago, but this time I want something new (for the guarantees that come with it) and to take advantage of new technologies. I am looking into buying a 2018 Jayco Jay Sport 12SC. Does anybody have a Jayco Jay Sport? I am hoping that the roofs are now much better quality as well as the rollers for the slide-outs (which were always a problem with my old Duck).

I have a 2010 Nissan Pathfinder and I can tow up to 6,000 pounds. The 12SC fall well within my Pathfinder's towing range. I will, however, appreciate having much less wind resistance as opposed to the light travel trailer I had these past few years.

In any case, I look forward to participating in this forum once again, and would appreciate your feedback.

Michel

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Welcome back! Good luck on your info search. The 12SC looks like a great pup!

3. markzrt1

markzrt1 New Member

Good choice.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I have the 2014 model... I love the layout and the room in it and the roof is a nice one-piece design. Bed slides aren't the greatest though... All in all it's a good camper but I did have some issues initially.

5. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

This was one that we had seen last year 2017 that was in the running for us when we were looking to upgrade. We really liked some of the tech stuff onboard like cable hook up already integrated and the fact that you could open the front box from the side when the bunk is open over the top of it.

However after comparing it to the Coachman 1285 SST which is comparable we decided on the Coachman primarily because the front storage slides out to the side and there's just a bit more room inside. We LOVED the color scheme and interior colors compared to the Coachman which was darker but when we were shown a 2012 Coachman in similar Jayco colors we jumped on it, plus the Coachman also had a power lift system for the roof so the DW could set it up w/o any trouble by herself if she wanted to go and do a Mother/Daughters weekend.

The Jayco is a GREAT choice and you'll have many years of fun with it, I also loved their warranty but hopefully you don't have to ever use it. But do yourself a favor and at least look at the Coachman 1285 SST just to compare for yourself.

Best of luck

6. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

This is why we went new. At the time we bought it, they had lifetime warranty on the roof and such as you mentioned. This was all reduced to 5 years for the 2018 model year. Just thought I would mention it, had we not had the lifetime warranty I believe we would have looked around more. Though, 5 years is still competitive.

7. The6ofUs

The6ofUs New Member

We just bought a 2017 leftover Jayco 12SC. My dealer also confirmed that the warranty changed for the 2018 model year due to Thor purchasing Jayco. If you're still looking at these, it might be worth it to find a 2017 leftover also. My dealer practically threw it at us with tons of upgrades, including AC. We got it out the door for a little more than half of the original sticker price. Just my newbie 2ยข.

scubacamper likes this.
  8. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

If you're considering a Jayco, new or used from the dealer ask for a set of chairs with the Jayco logo on the back...I've seen them at the shows and at my local dealer but I ended up with a Coachman and they don't do chairs...oh well.

9. RyPow

RyPow New Member

After recent mouse damage and ongoing canvas leak issues with our '92 Palomino, I'm also considering the Jay Sport 12SC (with toilet/shower, as a cheaper/better quality alternative to the Forest River highwalls). No issue with our TV, it's a heavy-half '12 F-150 so this trailer is small potatoes for it. Interesting to hear about the change in warranty for 2018. There are a couple '17s near us but they do not have the toilet/shower option, I imagine 12SCs are rarely equipped with it?

10. Tumbleweed53

Tumbleweed53 Member

I found other brands/models with a bit better/larger, more friendly front storage compartment. And the Forest River models had more actual cabinets inside the trailer. Very similar layouts otherwise. Our Camping World dealer had many of the leftover last year Jay Sport 12SC in stock.