2018 N. Florida/SE GA Rally, December 14-16, Ft. Clinch S.P.

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by SHFL, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We camp at Fort Clinch for probably 80% of our camping trips. My sister lives on the island now, we don't have to get a reservation to visit. [SUN] We do always have 4 or 5 reservations for the next 12 months, at any given time. I'd rather have them and cancel, than not have them.

Atlanta is at the bottom of my list of places I'd want to live, right above Saudi Arabia. [LOL] I agree you are very blessed to be where you are now, and more so knowing where you came from!

2. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Are we all getting excited about this rally!?

I know I haven't posted in a while, but we are just over 2 months away. Because it will be getting dark at ~5:45, let's plan for a midday potluck at 12:00. This way tzmartin can pack up and then join us, and JunieB may be able to get her grades in a arrive just after we've started.

Please post what you are planning to bring to the potluck — I will have 1 table, several table cloths, plates, cups, napkins, and flatware (but feel free to brings your own washable-ware if that is your preference).

Other than the potluck, I haven't planned any activities — the days will be short, but we can make s’mores by the campfire Saturday evening. I was hoping to get to the campground early on Friday, but because our county's k12 schedule that might not be possible. (You plan and plan, and then they change up the schedule...)

Here is the attendee list
    Member, Site#, Arrival date
    Orchid, #25, 12/13
    JAXPOPPER, #36, 12/14
    JunieB, #37, 12/14
    tzmartin, #49, 12/12
    SHFL, #56, 12/14
    SHFL-guest, #57, 12/14

We will also need a headcount, so please post the number of adults and children in your group.
    Member:
    Site#:
    Adults:
    Children:
    Pets:
    Arrival Date:
    Potluck dish:

I will update the rally info as it comes in.

Member: SHFL
    Site#: #56
    Adults: 2
    Children: 2 (teens)
    Pets: 0
    Arrival Date: 12/14
    Potluck dish: hamburger sliders
    Also table cloths, plates, cups, napkins, flatware, chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers (BYOS - bring your own stick)

Scott and April Still and Orchid like this.
  3. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I assume the lunch-- is Saturday lunch at noon? I will be there Friday night, no problems-- my classes don't even close until Fri night. It's the Monday final grading deadline I will be up against. No worries.

ANYWAY my life just got FILLED with excitement as regards transportation and towing. I bit the bullet last week and bought a new subcompact SUV-- Subaru Crosstrek! That means the old "Beast" TV Acura had to go.
    Do I have a towbar on the Crosstrek new-to-me 2016 yet? Nooo, but I picked up the car on Friday afternoon.
    Do I have major "towing stress" now? Yesss, because my complex just let us know they are starting repaving entire parking areas TODAY, after threatening to do so since June.

So I got 'lil 'ol Taos popup in the "boat storage area", no way to tow it in time for them to pave it, it must be moved this FRIDAY but can't be moved BEFORE then due to the paving scheme--- GRRRR! AAAGH! Association manager claims they will find a guy to help me on Friday. Hope that works out.

Am I almost ready to sell the popup after storing it for months of no camping in hot sticky FL? Maybe.
    ANYWAYS, even if I have to just tent-camp, I will make it to this rally. Tents-- trouble free, if you rip one, just buy a new one. Store it in a closet. What a novel idea.
    :)

Orchid likes this.
  4. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Attendance info:
    JunieB
    Persons: 1
    Pets: 2 mid-sized dogs
    Arrival: 12/14
    Dish: could be my Dutch Oven Green Bean casserole (the classic kind)
    Popup/lodging :Up in the air, until I get a tow package onto new-to-me Crosstrek Subaru.

5. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Aww dang it, just saw this and not too far from home but far too late to reserve I’m afraid cuz only thing available are tent sites.

6. Orchid

Member: Orchid
    Roberta & Bob
    Site #25
    Adults - 2
    Children - 0
    Pets - 0
    Arriving 12/13
    Bringing - Pepperoni Rolls

7. Orchid

There is at least one, possibly two, fcfs sites down at the river loop, where we will be. If you arrive Thursday, almost a sure thing that time of year.

Call the ranger station directly, the day of, to make sure it's not taken. I know they will let you reserve that one over the phone.

It's not listed on the map. We are currently camping on it because we wanted to extend our stay.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    emoney likes this.
  8. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Member: tzmartin
    Names: Zack and Leigh
    Site #49
    Adults - 2
    Children - 0
    Pets - 0
    Arriving 12/12
    Bringing - black bean salad dip with tortillas and something else...still thinking.

We're going to leave the kids with grandparents that weekend.

9. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

With this storm coming there may be some cancellations too. Orchid, do you know if they’re like Ft DeSoto and only open up those spots on Friday morning? IF we made it, couldn’t get there before Friday night. Hopefully this storm Peters out otherwise it may be a wet weekend.

10. Orchid

It's not until December, so the current storm won't be a problem. :) The fcfs spots are always open unless someone is using them. I don't think many people even realize they have them. The one spot #62, is almost never occupied. I imagine it's not often that people show up with no reservations.

11. Scott and April Still

Scott and April Still New Member

Hi emoney: We live on Amelia and we have heard that Fort Clinch will sometimes have walk-up sites available the day you want to check-in. Like Orchid said, it might be worth calling the day of your check-in and see what's available.

Orchid likes this.
  12. Orchid

My sister lives on the island as well. If I lived there, I would sell my camper, because no reason to go anywhere else. :laugh:

Also, you should join us for our potluck at least!!

Scott and April Still likes this.
  13. Scott and April Still

Scott and April Still New Member

We lucked out and scored a site at Fort Clinch - it's in the beach loop, but it will do just fine!

Member: SPUTnik (Scott and April Still)
    Site#: 15
    Adults: 2
    Children: 0
    Pets: 0
    Arrival Date: 12/14/18
    Potluck dish: Dutch Oven Beef Stew

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    tzmartin and Orchid like this.
  14. Orchid

Sweet!!

15. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Hi everyone,
    I will update the rally attendee and pot luck info as soon as our internet comes back up.

16. Orchid

Glad you and family are safe!

17. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Update on me and my Equipment:
    Now I have not one TV, but two! A guy I know who does drywall work at our complex had begged me to let him buy my old (but clean & shiny) Acura, so much, he wrote me a check for it before I even went to pick up the Subie. But he didn't want the Acura until the next week. That was fine with me.
    Guess what happened? In a classic Floridian moment, he must have just "forgotten" he didn't have the $$ in his account. So his check bounced. But, before I signed over the Title, fortunately.

I had Noooo trouble at all towing my PUP out of its storage space on that "urgent matter" (see above). IN fact, I had also put the $650+ tow package put onto the Subie URGENTLY thinking the MDX had sold, Grrrr. $650+tax, I could have used for other purposes, at THAT particular moment.
    I see two of you are towing with 2001 Hondas. What a coincidence. Just can't kill those old Honda engines, can ya?
    Now, I am toying with the idea of keeping the MDX to use just for towing. Yet-- there is the little matter of insurance--- and all that. Well, you will all see in December if I pull up in the shiny old Acura, or a shiny, newer Subie. For now, it is the "Beauty and the Beast" towing duo.

18. tzmartin

not just a florida thing! I only sell to folks with cash and my wife carries a pen that detects counterfeit bills. Glad you didn't get scammed.

19. Orchid

I'm getting excited about our rally! It's a mere weeks away now!

I might have to change my potluck item. I realized that I would be baking the day before we leave, which is Wednesday. The pepperoni rolls would not be fresh by Saturday. I may bake a sample batch and check them 3 days later to see how they are. They never last 24 hours when I bake them at home. LOL

Anyway, I will figure something out and post it ahead of time.

We will show up to the potluck with our chairs, some kind of food for everyone, and maybe our s'more sticks. [;)]

No real need to plan activities at Fort Clinch. There is so much to do! Touring the Fort is great, there is fishing on both river and ocean, and my very favorite, sharks tooth and fossil hunting along the shore! There are also great little shops down at the historic district for those interested. The Sea Jade is my favorite shop. They sell all the things the others do, but much more inexpensive.

Skip the Christmas on the River shop (SO pricey!!) and hit up The Sea Jade. They have a huge selection of Christmas ornaments, both from local artists and vintage, all at great prices. They also have the same souvenir ornaments. All the shops sell different sized little cork bottles that say 'Fernandina Beach" to collect miniature shells in. It's a great, inexpensive souvenir, and so much fun to find your own shells. There are gazillions of perfect miniature shells along the beach and the little bottles are a great way to display them. Of course you could bring your own little bottle, too. :smiley:

The Fort and store now close at 4:00 pm, so have what you need before then. Firewood is cheaper at the gas station right past the park entrance. It's the only other place on the island that sells firewood.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

Scott and April Still likes this.
  20. tzmartin

My wife and I are excited as well. Our New Year's plans at St. Andrews in PC were cancelled because of the hurricaine. Fort Clinch will be our only camping trip until late winter or spring break. Looking forward to it!

Orchid likes this.