2018 "Not a Rally" - Schodack Island State Park

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by stefie19, Oct 1, 2017.

Which weekend works for you?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2017.
  1. April 27-29

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. May 11-13 (Mother's Day weekend)

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. June 1-3

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll look it up in the instructions and let you know if I’ve been successful.

2. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

We got home around 1:00 pm no hassles other than it rained and was pretty windy most of the way home, which made for some exciting driving at times. Despite the weather though, we had a good time. We always do with this gang. It was nice to meet some new people too. I hope Richnyo and Junkyburittos weren't too scared of us, and will join us again some time.

Jimmy, I think you did a little more than straighten up some wires! I just wish I could have helped more than holding wires for you.

Pat, I'm glad you had a safe trip, by why on earth did you take 88 to 81, you added a good 2 hours to your trip. I should have left you know 84 and 81 were both open and flowing free when we went through.

I will see everyone at the NEPA rally in a few weeks, lets hope for some better weather!

3. Strawhouse

So...
    If you have incontinence problems, you should prepare yourself before reading on.
    For those of you who were not at Steph’s Not A Rally, you need to know that Dave and Deb shared their experiences from their visit to Uranus, Missouri. Many references—and laughter—were made over the weekend.

I was going to bring some to the NEPA Rally as a surprise; however, it’s only available from Nov-Jan. Produced by Sawmill City Brewery, Gravenhurst ON (30 min from my place):
    87E8DB6C-4A51-400B-BF9E-C263F8FB7621.jpeg
    https://www.sawdustcitybrewing.com/our-beer/long-dark-voyage-to-uranus-uranal-imperial-stout/

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  4. Strawhouse

It’s only 21 min longer according to Google Maps.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Having you guys there was a lot of fun. Some times I get so into my plan I forget to look at other things in different ways. I would have mounted that box on the tongue frame for the shunt after you brought up battery water checking, but didn't bring PVC cement. CURSES! I agree, it would have been the more "complete" install, but as it is I think it will function well. I do want to bring some bigger heat shrink or wire loom to protect the shunt though.

I did some math on the longer solar charge wires you mentioned.
    At full current (20A), 2ft wires drop .08V while 12ft ones drop .48V
    As the voltage rises and current tapers, that will drop to only .048V at 2A
    But a good thought nonetheless.

Can't wait 'til the NEPA rally.

6. shelmily

Ok, Pat I stand corrected. I sure thought that would have taken a lot longer to go that way. I just checked, and google is telling me about 35 minutes longer with traffic. One thing I didn't think of is how I have to loop around to get on 87 when leaving the park, you just shoot straight up and get on 90. But still not that much of a difference.

By the way I will be needing some of that beer, some how, some way. [:)O]:D

7. shelmily

And realistically she is never going to see 20A, especially in Vermont. I am lucky if I see 4 to 5 amps when I use mine up there and that is peak, not constant.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I peaked at 8-9A in VT with a 160W while I was chasing the sun just to see what I could get.
    I want to try it with my solar suitcase.

9. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Renogy 100w Portable Panel w/Controller

Is this what I should be looking to get if we were to get one? What else would I need in addition to this and the cable that you gave us Jimmy? Any kind of adapter to make it compatible to our pre-wire ZAMP outlet?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

That's the one. It looks like it might use an Anderson PowerPole connector per the questions. That's not waterproof nor is it the accepted connector for solar products. However, you're going to need extension wires too. You can buy them pre-built. But they're not quite as good as "rolling you own". Good copper wire, that's flexible is sort of expensive. But good Ancor Marine wire is still pretty flexible.
    Pre-built: 10ga, 20ft - Extension wire Mike described these as China Gauge wire. I tend to agree. That's pretty cheap for 40ft of 10ga wire with connectors. But they should be servicable for 40ft at 100W

Roll your own: Significantly more expensive, but will probably not be noticeably better on just a 100W panel.
    Connectors: MC4 connectors
    MC4 wrench: MC4 Wrenches
    Wire: Ancor marine wire. Buy as much as you want, but for 10awg, I'd stick to 40ft MAX. That's 80ft total wire.

What sort of flexibility do you want? How far do you want to put this from your camper chasing the sun?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Also, that wire I gave you IS the adapter that will plug into your Zamp connector.

12. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

It was so nice meeting everyone this weekend. Thank you Steph for organizing such a great not-a-rally! Thank you also to Dave and Chris for offering set-up help and to Mike for the generous sharing of a lighter (Really, who camps without a lighter?). Finally, thank you to everyone for abstaining from rating my unbelievable back-up skills (Yes, that's the word I'm choosing to use). You were all gathered with a front row seat to the atrocity and I know I looked like I was out craft beer tasting all day rather than merely driving to the campground. Really I'm a towing shark and I'm just going for "most improved" at a later rally. :cool:[put&pu]

Looking forward to seeing you all in Maine!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

You missed the travesty that was my attempt to back in. I stopped counting after 4. And got myself so screwed up that I took a hot lap of the campground to get things straightened out.

JunkyBurrittos and jnc like this.
  14. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Right now, the only time we camp without power is the VT Rally but in the future, I hope that changes. Especially if we do a trip west someday. But since this is our first foray into solar, I'm ok with not buying the top of the line stuff and will upgrade should the time come when we'll become more dependent on it and will want higher quality.

So the solar panel that I linked and the extension wire that you linked should get us up and running when we see you all in PA?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Yup!

stefie19 likes this.
  16. Debfmaine

Debfmaine Member

We got home around 3:30. We hit wind and rain, and at one point going over the Berkshires we had snowy rain or is it rainy snow? Thanks Steffie for hosting the not a rally Rally. It was so fun being with our camping family. Jimmy, thanks for the use of the flash light so I could find my way back to the camper. Can't wait for the PA rally. The weather wasn't the greatest but a rainy day camping beats a good day at work any time. It's a good thing I love you guys, you should of seen the pile of work I found on my desk this morning. But it's always worthwhile to be with you all.
    I hope we didn't scare off the new comers. Hey guess what Dave is doing .....that's right watching a hockey game. Gunner and I are upstairs.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

We drive through that same slushy mess. Ugh.

18. JunkyBurrittos

Go Bruins!

jnc likes this.
  19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Any New Englander worth his salt is glued to the Bruins. Right now I'm watching them on the TV & computer while I'm play here.

BigTap likes this.
  20. JunkyBurrittos

Thank you Jimmy. I feel better knowing I’m in such good company. :) I just felt like it was a pretty straightforward set up and I should have gotten it with one try... nope!