2018 "Not a Rally" - Schodack Island State Park

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by stefie19, Oct 1, 2017.

Which weekend works for you?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2017.
  1. April 27-29

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. May 11-13 (Mother's Day weekend)

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. June 1-3

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Before I get a spreadsheet together, what was the name of the place?

2. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

No clue. MA Rallies were before my time. But you might be able to go into the Past rallies section of the NE rally board and find it. That’s how I figured out where the CT one had been held in the past.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I found a Boston rally in Wompatuck from 2013. Does Wompatuck ring any bells?

4. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

Jimmy - i was obviously not here for previous MA rallies but there are tons of campgrounds in MA the is Wells in central, Miles Standish in the south shore, boston/cape cod koa, loads out west and north shore alobg with many on the cape. There is even a campground in Marthas Vinyard (no dogs allowed tho). What im saying is basically if the MA one died out at a spot they did so for a reason. Start your own at a new camp ground there are so many to choose from. Unless of course you guys had a conversation about brining it back to a specific 0lace for a particular reason :).

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I had thought about finding one of my own. But I'd have to visit them first. I don't want to plan a blind-rally.
    I'm going to start a new thread over in the Rally's section for input on locations that folks have been to to narrow the list. Then I can take a few road trips to have a peek.

6. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jimmy, my feelings won't be hurt if you ask Steph for help with your spreadsheet, *sniff* In the end, I just want you to have one, unlike some of these technophobes. [LOL]

As for the rally location, I was never to a MA rally, but I do remember talk of one at Wompatuck. I think the main reason they stopped being held is the organizer quit putting them on, not that people weren't interested. I mean look at the group from the New England states we have now. When I started my rally, I wanted to have it somewhere I had been, but that no rally had been at before, that way it would be my own. I want someone not coming because of a bad past rally experience, if that makes sense. Anyway, there are enough of us here that host rallies to help you if you need it. All you need to do is beg. [LOL][LOL][LOL]

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I started a thread looking for possible new locations HERE. Somewhere mid-state-ish I think would be good. But I can't visit all the possible places, so input would be good to reduce the number of places to visit.
    I HAVE to have a spreadsheet. I earn a living working with data. I don't think I could stop myself from having a spreadsheet.

8. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Wells State Park is where there were a 3 or 4 rallys. Its in Sturbridge, MA. Sites along the lake row are nice and so are the wooded ones but they can be tricky to get into. There also is a large mosquito population in the wooded loop. We stop having it there after we lost 2 small children and a dog, who were carried away by the swarms of mosquitos.
    The last line might of been a slight exaggeration.

jnc and Strawhouse like this.
  9. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

[LOL][LOL][LOL]

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Yeah. Mosquitoes are gonna be an issue in the summer near water. I hate 'em. Maybe a case of Yard Guard.

11. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

12. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

I was thinking a lot about Nickerson before Jimmy even posted looking for locations. I love Nickerson and would love to share this location with others, but I just figured the lack of hookups might be too limiting a factor for some people. This also books up insanely fast, but I thought maybe it would be a possibility if we booked in one of the less popular sections (less popular is still popular mind you, it just doesn’t book up in the first nanosecond of sites being released). There is also a pavilion and a group camping section in this area I’m thinking of.

If you are giving any consideration to the Cape, someone was just telling me that Peter’s Pond is really great. It appears that there was a rally there a few years back, and I think mercman hosted, so Chris might be able to share some details if you wanted to explore this area as well.

I did also stay on the Bayview on the Cape and could share details if we wound up moving in that direction.

13. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

I was at Peters Pond but did not organize it. I was not impressed as it mostly was a well maintained seasonal location destination rather than a campground. No firepits but you did get use of the community firepit till 11:00 pm but no wood on it after 10:30. The golf cart fire patrol and security doing 15 minute checks got annoying too.