2018 Pacifica 3500lb Towing Capacity, Recommendations

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by rob.mwpropane, Aug 12, 2021.

1. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Thats why I picked the 228D. Max weight under 3400 lbs has a slide so lots of room inside and sleeps up to 8 though in truth its easier if 4 of them are kids.

rob.mwpropane likes this.
  2. rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane Active Member

I can't imagine 8 adults, lol, maybe 4 for or even 6, but that would be really rare. It would mostly be us and the kids...honestly though they're all about the size of adults now.

3. popup-flyer

5 of us, all adult sized can sleep no problem. The only reason I say something about it is the dining table is probably shorter than 6 foot. We use the bunks for 2 each and the sofa/bed for a single person. Never actually tried the dining table bed.

The bunks are king and queen, which to my knowledge most are, so for me we would have to lay left to right rather than front to back as I am 6' 1" to fit fully on the bunk. However, practically speaking that doesnt work because then whoever is farthest out is climbing over someone to get out of bed. We sleep head at the end of the tent and feet towards center of camper. Sleeping on my back my feet hang off a bit but are covered by blanket, for my wife its not an issue. On my side is no problem because my knees are bent a little anyway.

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I'm not going to debate weights. I'm not a betting person, but I'd be tempted to wager that camper packed for a family hooked to a vehicle with a 3500 lbs tow rating is going to be over it's max payload.
    We had four adults and four kids plus a beagle in our Starcraft on one trip. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but we fit and got some sleep.

Pugwinkle and rob.mwpropane like this.
  5. popup-flyer

I did go to the scales, under 2600 lbs weighed down for a 5 day trip.

Some key points:
    You can't fill the entire camper floor up with stuff front to back. Only behind the dining table slideout when closed and the area at the door. If you don't have the "shoilet" you have more cabinets in that space but we use our shoilet to put sleeping items, bags, sheets, comforter all in plastic bags of course while travelling. It was loaded with food in the refer, tools in the underseat "locker" with the outside door has a heavy toolbox, jack, the outdoor grill and other heavy stuff.... Microwave under the seat with the water heater then there are clothes and cookware etc... All space under the couch is full as well as the one front cabinet and the undersink/grill storage.

This includes our extra 3 inch foam mattress topper. The thing was as full as possible on that day.

Here is the scale weight Drive Axle was the Tongue only:
    Scales-Tongue.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  6. popup-flyer

Deleted

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Vehicles with a tow rating in the 3500 range typically have a GCVWR in the ball park of 8,000 lbs and a curb weight over 4000 lbs. Add conservatively 600 lbs for passengers, 120 lbs for gas, and 2600 lbs in tow and you are going to be pushing the limits of your tow vehicle. Now consider people that pack heavier than you and they may quickly exceed the limits. I know with our 12' box Starcraft the camper was generally between 2800-3100 lbs depending on the trip and it didn't have a slide. I'm not saying it can't be done, only that it isn't wise for most people.

8. rob.mwpropane

So I misspoke in one of my last posts. Our van actually has a payload capacity of 1150lbs. So..

Curb weight is ??? (I guess I need to go weigh it on a scale or should that be listed?)
    Payload is 1150
    GCWR is 8600

Max tongue rating is 350
    Max tow rating is 3500

9. Erik_the_Bear

Erik_the_Bear New Member

I have a 2018 Pacifica with factory tow package. We tow a Flagstaff 823d all day long. I also use a weight distribution hitch and sway control bar. Tows like a dream. The 823d has a slide out but no bathroom.

10. rob.mwpropane

Nice. Have you weighed everything together on a scale? Where about are you driving?

One of my saving graces is we don't usually travel west at all, mostly just coastline traveling which is mostly flat. So I'm willing to push it a little.

11. Anjie

Anjie Member

I have a nice portable camp toilet as well as a instant up tent that I use for my bathroom. The toilet was about $60 and I like that I can set it up inside or outside. Just an option to think about. I use it outside during the day and only move it inside at night. I do not have to worry that the water will spill out etc and ruin my PUP. I have a small electric camp shower that is a water heater. It is quite a posh set-up for camping..

I have a 2020 Chrysler Pacifica and I found an beautiful, barely used 1998 10' Coleman Redwood PUP last year that I am remodeling to be EXACTLY what I want in a PUP.hoping to finish her up over Labor Day..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    ColoradoLizzy likes this.
  12. Bill Spangler

Bill Spangler New Member

13. raising4daughters

raising4daughters Active Member

Good thread. Many of us face or have faced similar balancing acts. The driver seems to be that the PUP we want and the TV we want don't match up with what we want to drive the other 48-50 weeks a year when not camping.

We've enjoyed minivans. At several points, we've had two of them. Even as eldest 3 are out of college, wife got a 2018 Pacifica and, just in case we wanted to tow with it, we got it with factory tow. Have NOT towed with it because we haven't needed to.

In late 2009, we look at a 14' tandem axles Jayco PUP with slide and shoilet and a 10' Jayco 1007 (no slide, no shoilet etc.). We settled for the 10' box based on the decision to tow with our Chrysler T&C without factory tow. Despite upgrades, we later learned that we were over the owner's manual of 1,500 lbs (though everyone told us we would be fine and, luckily, we were). We towed flat lands and gentle hills in OH, Western NY, Western PA.

By the 2014 towing season, we needed another "kid car", so I opted for a TrailBlazer WITH factory tow. It was a big difference over the minivan. Less space, but better towing. Ran that through the 2019 season towing the 10' PUP. It needed a lot of work, and the wife and I wanted a bigger PUP, so we decided to modestly upgrade both, give my sedan to the kids, and I got myself a Colorado with tow. 7,000 lbs tow capacity and 1,600 payload.

That gave us room to buy a 14' highwall with shoilet, slideout dinette, and tons of storage. Even though our crew is mainly wife, me, youngest, and friend, we love it. 3,800 lbs. GVWR is no problem for the Colorado.

Still, when we, if we're bringing bikes, cornhole, river tubing gear with lifejackets, etc., we've found we need to bring a long her Pacifica, so we stick within a 3-4 hour range.

Lots to balance here but one thing I've learned from this forum is that payload most often maxes out before the tow capacity. Also, others are right here. We don't pack much more in the NTUS HW PUP than in the 10' PUP, but we're at 3,600 lbs actual scale weight with a GVWR of 3,800, so not a lot of room for much more.

14. rob.mwpropane

What is this, quote the op day? I don't understand the references. I'm not willing to go over what the Pacifica can do... take it up to it's rated #'s sure. The Flagstaff 823d quoted earlier is still within limits. It's really close, but it would be ok.

15. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Get 10 foot pup max

16. popup-flyer

Fo
    For the purposes of this discussion you can probably google curb weight of your vehicle. You will get a range, just go with the highest.

Curb weight only comes in at the GCVWR discussion (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating). That is Vehicle weight + cargo weight(this includes passengers) + trailer(and tongue if its not included in cargo weight). In other words as long as your not over that total GCVWR number with your "total weight" of everything in or attached to the TV then your fine.

What you need to know is cargo weight with passengers + tongue weight to figure out your "load weight" on the vehicle.

Only reason to go to scales is if you want accurate tongue and trailer axle weights as well and/or if you have individual axle ratings as I showed earlier and want to confirm you are not overloading a vehicle axle.

17. rob.mwpropane

What? Why?

18. rob.mwpropane

Curb weight is 4330. Individual axles are 2950 front and 3200 rear.

19. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Do what you will...But i see a lot of splitting hairs going on here.

20. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

A 12 foot pup with slideout and bathroom exceed max hitch weight. Recommendations all formats state do not exceed 80 percent of max published tow ratings.