2018 Pacifica 3500lb Towing Capacity, Recommendations

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by rob.mwpropane, Aug 12, 2021.

1. rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane Active Member

I think everyone wants the most bang for their buck. Not knowing anything about pop ups I'm just here to learn. I haven't bought not one thing. For me I need to learn about it, make an educated decision based on other people's experiences.

You're right, I am splitting hairs, but it's usually the finer details that make or break any decision. How many people bought a camper all "willy nilly" and then found out they could have got this, or maybe they didn't know the weight?

2. rob.mwpropane

As I said before, might have to forego the slide out... not the end of the world.

I didn't mean that to sound arrogant, I'm not trying to be.

3. rob.mwpropane

I don't understand "formats state"

4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

All types of campers/trucks, combos All.

80 percent of published max weight. Published max for Pacifica 3500. 80 percent 2800. Ten foot pup, go down from that point depending on passengers and gear in the van.

rob.mwpropane likes this.
  5. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

I enjoyed looking over my popup, but after a hot trip to Fla. I got an AC put on it. You are correct, it is very hard to see over even the Coleman Mini-Mach (9-in high). I now have a Coleman 8-Plus heat pump on it, and it is 8-1/4 inches high and still hard to see over.
    I have a 1993 Coleman Chesapeake popup, after many repairs, improvements, and replaced worn out parts, it is in better condition that when new.

6. rob.mwpropane

U
    Understood. I'll look into them, thanks!

7. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Can you please show me an official statement from ANY auto manufacturer on the planet that states that you should only go up to 80% of the stated maximums?

Anecdotal statements don't count.

Rusty2192 likes this.
  8. popup-flyer

It may exceed max hitch weight unless a WDH is used and supported by both the TV and the camper. WDH increases tongue weight in many cases nearly X 2.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  9. rob.mwpropane

So if my max tongue weight is 350lbs, using a WDH would x2 that? Isn't that bad?

I've never used a WDH.

10. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I understand...Just don't want you returning here down the road with all sorts of issues and buyers remorse.
    We see that sorta thing a lot on here.

11. rob.mwpropane

No Sir, if after I gain a lot of knowledge and still make mistakes there's no one to blame but myself.

I'm sure mistakes will be made, I'm just trying to limit the big ones.

raising4daughters and firepit like this.
  12. Stephers0307

Stephers0307 New Member

I have a 2015 forest river Flagstaff mac 246D, it has a toilet/shower as well as an outdoor shower and a large slide out dinette. I believe it's in your towing weight range as well. I love mine!
    Hope this helps

13. Cdpizan

Cdpizan New Member

You already have so many comments that I'm not sure you need this, but just echoing that we also have a 2017 Pacifica and tow a Starcraft 2414 (2008) with absolutely no problems up and down the Rockies. I did specifically look for one under 2000 lbs just to make sure, but I believe we could tow more. ALSO, we have the Touring L Plus without the factory tow package. I went back to the dealer to get the tow package, and the tech told me that my car already had the upgraded transmission and all I needed was a hitch. So I got one for a lot less at UHaul. I worried about it until we made the massive cross-country trip to the Rockies. All was perfectly fine. Didn't tax the transmission one bit as I watched all the gauges. So, you may or may not need the factory tow package. We didn't. Only issue is that the hitch location (factory or not) is quite low, so you'll want to get a ball that goes up in order to tow level and not bottom out. Enjoy! It's a great vehicle for family trips. A lot of comfort and plusses, but you still get the power.

14. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I have a gmc k1500 1700 payload 7600 tow rating published. Passenger 600lbs, 250lbs of kayaks, 200lbs of gear in bed. I’m left with 650lbs max hitch weight. Deduct weight of hitch 550lb max hitch 5000lb max rating. Or just say 80 percent of max. No one knows what gear they pack or need. I know 4 yaks to bikes in my family.

15. rob.mwpropane

It does, looks like 2364 dry weight. That's perfect.

16. rob.mwpropane

We have TL+ so it has all that. Love the van, we have an Audi A4 and I prefer the van hands down for all it's amenities. That's good to know about taking it over the rockies. I don't think we plan to head west but it's still good to know. It's great to heat other experiences with the Pacifica, so thanks!

Cdpizan likes this.
  17. popup-flyer

Please remember dry weight is pretty much always a lie.... generally not with battery/propane etc....

My 228D is 2360 lbs according to the sticker and tongue is lower than the 340 I see measured.

18. rob.mwpropane

I don't take it as scripture, but it's at least a light on in the room yeah?

19. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I think that what most people don't understand is that "tow capacity" is fluid. It is not one number. Sure, the brochures and salesman will tell you that you can tow 3500 pounds with it. But that number is always mentioned with two caveats- "Maximum tow capacity" and "when properly equipped". The maximum tow capacity is a function of GCVWR- the payload comes into play as well as the actual weight of the vehicle. In general, most manufacturers include one 150 lb driver and a full tank of gas to get to the max tow capacity. When you start adding passengers and gear to the vehicle, your maximum tow capacity shrinks accordingly, because the two vehicles together can't weigh more than the GCVWR.

Look at it this way...
    Take your GCVWR and subtract the vehicles curb weight, then subtract your cargo (people, gear, tongue weight), this is the MAX the trailer can weigh.
    8600 (GCVWR) - 4330 (curb weight) - 1150 (max payload) = 3120 remaining tow capacity. That would include the trailer and all gear stowed in it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    BillyMc, Sjm9911 and rob.mwpropane like this.
  20. rob.mwpropane

It does help. I think your 3120 is spot on.

Does anyone want to purchase a 17 year old? He's a hard worker, would free up another 200lbs in the van:)
    (jk)

Sjm9911 likes this.