2018 Thanksgiving Gathering

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Snow, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Hey Jimmy!
    You’re right. We need to have a rally near the Thousand Islands border crossing at I-81. It would be a great CAN/US rally location. Although Arrowhead is nice for me, since it’s only 17min from my place!
    See you soon at NEPA (8 1/2hrs, not including stops). Hugs to all!

2. Limmer

Limmer Member

Hey everybody! Thank you for being so welcoming. We are cancelling our reservation today. Our popup ended up being unusable and October it too unpredictable for a tent for us. Hopefully next year we will be back!

3. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving is definitely not tent-worthy....not for me anyhow. When we did the Thanksgiving Rally some 4 years back....we had snow in the morning. And we were in a pop-up....I will enjoy next year more since going to the dark side!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

We've camped in the cold before in our pup (my kind of cold, 30F). We just bundled up real good in the sleeping bags. It was sort of fun! We didn't even run the heat all that much.

ccptbo likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you have to cancel out.. Another time perhaps..

Yeah Mel, your over due..

ccptbo likes this.
  6. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Oh heck ya....we know. But we're pumped for Florida this year! Happy to tuck away the trailer at the end of September! Arrowhead isn't far.....couple hours. We could see what day is good, weather wise and plan a trip up for the day.

Snow and Strawhouse like this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Guess this is a good time to update things..

Currently only non electric sites are available.. So if anyone is wanting to attend and dont have a reservation yet, might want to bring the extra blankets. However based on the summer so far, better bring your swimsuit too...

8. Strawhouse

Want to join the rally, but need to have power....
    ...then I may have the solution to your problem....

I’m currently booked on electric Site 463, but I can quite easily manage without. I am willing to move to a non-electric site in order to accommodate you. Please PM me, if you would like to discuss this option.

PopUpSteve and Snow like this.
  9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I would love to attend, would prefer to have electric but I don’t want to put you out Strawhouse. I will PM you and we can talk.

My plan is to attend the Vermont Rally the weekend before and then head North.

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

After discussing this with one of the locals [;)], I decided to go dry and took site 496.

Thanks Pat

Strawhouse likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Be great to see you again Steve. . Think it is just the 3 of us for a grand total of 4 or 5 people and two dogs who think they are human.. lol
    I'll start a pm as we get closer to discuss if, when and what for potluck. .

PopUpSteve likes this.
  12. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Canadian PUP Rally.jpg

Strawhouse and Snow like this.
  13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Steve's a Lumberjack!? Well, I always say that if I have time away from my Mom's on Thanksgiving weekend, I'd take an afternoon and head over to Arrowhead. If Steve's showing up I'll have to put more effort in to getting over there. I gotta see him cut down a tree so there's some firewood!

14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Now I'll have to find one of those hats. I have suspenders (but not a bra) and a plaid shirt.

Could be my last trip to the Great White North, so if you can stop by, please do.

I'll be at Arrowhead from Thursday thru Sunday and will be coming from Northeastern NY State. I may cross over into Quebec (never been). I'm looking for a campsite for Tuesday and Wednesday nights (a different place for each night, Provincial Parks preferred). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Wrenchgear likes this.
  15. Strawhouse

Now do ‘t you go getting Steve in trouble! You know that both the gathering of windfall and tree-cutting is prohibited in Provincial Parks. Besides, I’m sure that Steve can get into trouble all by himself!:D;)

16. Strawhouse

If you cross into Quebec, you could travel via Hwy 417 and camp at Fitzroy Provincial Park on the Ottawa River North of Ottawa, then travel via Hwy 60 and camp at one of the campgrounds in Algonquin Park. You would then continue west on Hwy 60 to Huntsville and turn right onto Muskoka Road 3 to Arrowhead. It’s worth a stop at Henrietta’s Bakery on the south side of Hwy 60 just west of the Hwy 35 intersection.

Also...between Fitzroy PP and Algonquin PP...
    There is a rest stop on the south side of Hwy 60 in the village of Deacon. It gives you a great view of Golden Lake. It’s my regular stop on the way to/from the Ottawa area.

71A4E04D-1B72-4253-932D-A26AF24F6275.jpeg

At Golden Lake res stop on my way back from Fitzroy. No trailer—still using my packpacking tent!
    E07301AA-F005-463F-8A70-505B46189EAC.jpeg

17. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

If he's coming down 60 and stopping in at Golden Lake, he needs to get gas on the indian reserve on Kokomis rd. It'll be 10 cents cheaper than anywhere else on the drive, and is less than 1km from 60. Then just 10 mins further west down 60, he has to stop in at Killaloe and have a Beavertail. Just get the regular one, or possibly the Sunrise with lemon. Also, get a bacon covered poutine while there. Those 2 things will have enough calories and sugar to keep you bouncing for about a full week. Get 'em at the Creekside Grill. The town is a very small place and the grill is located in the center of town (beside the creek, go figure).

Fishing is not so great at the rest stop on Golden Lake, but there is a geocache located there!

Strawhouse likes this.
  18. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Wrenchgear, I know you're speaking English but I don't recognize any of those words. [:D]

I looked at Fitzroy and I like what I see. I think I'll make a two day (Tuesday/Wednesday) stop there. Then it's only a few hours travel to Arrowhead, with a stop at Golden Lake for lunch.

Thanks Pat

Strawhouse and Wrenchgear like this.
  19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

LOL...

20. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Ok, so I made my reservations for Fitzroy for Tuesday and Wednesday. Got a spot right on the river.

Strawhouse likes this.