2018 Washington Summer Outing

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by vjlarson, Aug 7, 2017.

1. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Please be thinking of ideas where to rally next year.

Vicki

2. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

We'd sure love to join you next year! How about a campground on the Olympic Penninsula?

3. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Kalaloch campground?

4. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Coho is a beautiful campground with a great beach area. Its outside Monsanto up in the Olympic National forest.

5. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

7. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Kalaloch looks nice. Is there a time window in mind?

8. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

That could be up for discussion. We had beautiful weather the end of July at Mt St Helens this year. But maybe it would be better to go in August if we're going to the coast. It would be great if we could get a time and place arranged so that we have ample opportunity to get reservations when they open up for next year.

9. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

We're already committed to an annual week-long trip the week of 8/6 up outside of Oroville. Weeks on either side of that are going to be hard for me, but don't let that deter the planning. Talked to the wife last night about getting two additional weekend trips in, one maybe late-May and another after school is back in Sept.

I agree though - getting the date set so everyone can be jumping on reservations as soon as they're available is wise. Kalaloch says 6 months prior to the reservation date is when they open.

10. Popupbenji

Popupbenji Member

Hello my popup friends.I have not been on here at all...mostly fb because it's more convenient for me.It sounds like the Olympic Peninsula is the direction where looking at.Most of the cg I utilize there are 1st come 1st serve so I have little imput...although I absolutely love the Olympic Peninsula...sign me up.I will do my best to network and try to get more folks to join us.I can't tell you how many people that have no idea the Portal exists

11. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Ben, have you been to Kalaloch?

12. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

A few pictures from Kalaloch:
    IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_4363.JPG

IMG_4377.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG
    a picture from Ruby beach
    IMG_1063.JPG

Attached Files:

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Kalaloch is reservations only in the summer and is EXTREMELY difficult to get into. It's one of those places where people have their finger on the button at midnight when the reservation window opens and still can't get a site because so many others are doing the same thing. This might make it a bad choice for a rally because a lot of people who want to go probably wouldn't be able to get in. Also, for my money, the Pacific coast is often cold, damp and windy even in mid-summer.

I'd vote for Coho over Kalaloch because one loop is reservable and the FCFS loop can provide an emergency alternative if someone can't get a reservation. It also has a beautiful day use area by the dam where people can picnic, swim and hand-launch small boats on the lake. There is also a boat launch ramp for bigger boats. Finally, it's not as far as Kalaloch for people coming from most of Washington, northern Oregon, etc.

nancyanddan and shuang2 like this.
  14. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

That's good to know, Tom.

15. sadayo

sadayo Member

Dropping in to see what plans are for 2018. :) Any thought to what weekend it will be?

16. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

It's quiet here. Most of the members are using another site. Could someone post here where that is so that others can find the group? I would... but I'm pretty confused myself!

17. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Popup Camper Owners, Washington State Camping, both on FB are two I use the most now

18. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

To be spread out in 2 or 3 places makes it really difficult to try to plan a rally. I'm on both of those FB sites, but I don't know about others from here or how to get things going and the word out. Mark asked me to (and I said yes) but I think I'm going to have to pass on being the organizer this year. Anyone willing to take it over?