2019 Eastern Ontario Rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Strawhouse, Nov 5, 2018.

1. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Wish we could join Snow, just doesn't work this year. Re-siding the garage and pulling trailer out to get it ready for next weekend. And I don't have Friday off this year.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You look ill.. lol

3. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Ha Ha...gee....thanks. Nope...not gonna happen. Good try though. Wish it was that easy to call into work ill, but I feel too guilty when too many parents rely on me for them to get to work. I'm too honest.

That ^^^ was supposed to be posted in the KoTS Rally....hmm

4. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

3D Sudoku.....interesting!!

Strawhouse likes this.
  5. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

I agree.....now that I don't have school work to do while camping, I'm going to have to find something to keep me entertained....

Strawhouse likes this.
  6. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Somehow....I don't think you will have much trouble doing that at the Eastern Rally.....just sayin'....

Strawhouse likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

3D Sudoku? My brain hurts just thinking about it.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

We have an appointment to get the kids passports on Friday.

Strawhouse and ccptbo like this.
  9. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Well you're probably totally right about that!

Ugh, still need to do this! Jake has an early dismissal next week, I'll have to see if Jeff is around in the afternoon and try and get that done.

10. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Not as hard as it sounds! Now 3D chess? Not a chance!
    19D646B6-4A07-4261-A353-DB6F9FEA7BF9.jpeg

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Your post in the Schodack thread makes me wonder. Is there any food I can bring into Canada? Packaged food, etc? Do I need to declare food if it's for personal consumption? Stuff like that.

12. Strawhouse

I hope this helps!

Here is the best summary that I could find re bringing food and other items into Canada from the US:
    - - - -
    You CAN NOT Bring These Items Into Canada
    • Food: Fresh fruits and vegetables, animal and fish products. Since you will declare these items at Canadian customs (i.e., you will tell Canadian customs that you have these items), customs agents will determine what is safe to bring in and what is not. Generally, no fresh fruits, vegetables, or fresh/uncooked animal products (meat, fish) will be allowed in.
    • Live bait (e.g., for fishing) such as minnows, leeches, or smelts, leeches. Night crawlers are permitted but must be contained with artificial tissue bedding (no soil is allowed).
    • Weapons: Guns and firearms, ammunition, fireworks, and mace and pepper spray are not allowed. If you are bringing a firearm into Canada for an official hunting or sporting event then you must report your firearms to customs at the border. You'll have to complete a non-resident firearms declaration form and speak to a border official. The best advice is not to attempt to cross the border with any kind of weapon.
    • Cannabis: Even if you have a prescription for medical cannabis (either in the U.S. or Canada or another country), you cannot bring marijuana into Canada.
    • Illegal drugs: It should go without saying but you absolutely cannot bring any illegal drugs across the border into Canada.
    Visiting (or returning) to the U.S? Don't bring Kinder eggs across the border. Yes, it is ridiculous, but Kinder eggs are banned in the U.S. and people "caught" bringing them into the U.S. from another country (including Canada) can face fines.
    - - - - -
    It looks like the Lansdowne Freshmart would be the most convenient place to stop for fresh fruit/veg and meat north of the border crossing:
    AFA3063C-D6FD-485C-BE7D-94C577143080.jpeg
    When I cross into the US (something to consider when you are returning home), I have had several fruit/veg seized even though they were on the current list of ‘acceptable’ items. And, yes, there was the ‘10 Kinder Surprise Egg incident of 2016’. Apparently, 60,000 were seized at US border crossings last year! I now just bring dry goods/pantry items, cheese, cooked chicken, and a bagged salad (yep, seems the bagged salad is an exception).

Here is a good site re general travel information:
    Travel Tips

A cautionary note re distracted driving:
    On January 1, 2019, the existing fines and penalties for distracted drivers in Ontario are increasing. First time offenders will see a fine increase up to $1,000, three demerit points and a three day license suspension. It gets worse for those who are repeat offenders with fines up to $3,000, six demerit points and a 30-day licence suspension for third time convictions.
    In Ontario ‘distracted driving’ focussed on the use of hand-held electronic devices. Other actions such as eating, drinking, grooming, smoking, reading and reaching for objects are not part of Ontario’s distracted driving law. However, you can still be charged with careless or dangerous driving.

NOTE: For future reference, I’ve added a link to this post on my first entry on page 1 under:
    What NOT to Bring into Canada and Other Info

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

GREAT! Thanks for all the info. I was doing some research and found the same. I should be fine as long as I leave the mentioned items above at home. All the other food we'd bring should be fine. Condiments, bagged snacks, sodas/juices, cereal. We'll buy fruit/veg/meat/bread once there. We can bring our dry dog food as long as it's a reasonable amount that it's obvious that it's to be consumed by our dogs. Dogs already have all their shots and we have the paperwork. I don't want to switch them to new food we buy there and have them fill my camper with their farts.

Strawhouse and ccptbo like this.
  14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have heard.. of some folks having issue with their pet foods that are "opened".. Personally never had an issue with open bags, or just in a container going either way, but I know a few people have had to chuck fido's food because they had an opened bag.. If at all possible, bring a un-opened bag of food across the Border..

ccptbo and Strawhouse like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. Will do.

ccptbo likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I just checked my reservation. I'm there Monday to Monday. I thought I was there Tuesday to Sunday. What a great surprise!!

17. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Ooooo that is a nice surprise! We're there until Monday also!

18. Strawhouse

Me too!:D

19. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

LOL. Awesome! I believe we are there Thursday night/Friday morning to Tuesday.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

This will really be a trip of some note for me.
    First Canadian camping trip
    Longest trip (8 days total)
    Greatest distance for a camping trip 371 miles

ccptbo likes this.