2020 Father's Day long weekend trip

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by silvermickey2002, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:44 AM.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We headed to Beachcomber Camping resort for our annual fathers Day weekend trip with friends. First, let me say when we call a week in advance to confirm our reservation and pay the balance we were told where our site will be (the same area for the last 3 years) and the bathhouse was open (toilets and showers). Fast forward to when we arrive, we were placed in a totally different area where the bath house was NOT open and we had to drive to the only open bath house to use the bathrooms and showers. We were not happy!!!!! Even the bath house in the area we were supposed to be in only had the toilets open (NO showers) So basically they lied to us!!! A lot of folks were not happy as well! Our friends let us use their bathroom on their class "c" during the day when we were in the campground.

We did go into Cape May to do some shopping and head to the beach for a few hours. We did pizza take out the first night we were there. All other meals we cooked at the campsite. Other than the bathroom issues we had a decent weekend.

Now, on the day we were packing up I ran into an issue where I was cranking to rook down and it stopped about 6" before closing. That's when I noticed the crank extension came off!!! Apparently the locking nut that holds it in place backed off! I used channel locks to crank it all the way closed. I was thinking the worst case scenario for repairs!!! When we got home I went to go fix it and what I discovered is that the locking nut just unscrewed! Thank GOD! Put it back together and made sure I made the locking nut nice and tight. Low and behold it ended up to be a simple 15 minute fix!!!!!!

Sjm9911 and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Glad you got it fixed without issue. Honestly I would be thankful I was able to even get in, or they had a bathhouse open at all. Many around us had no facilities open, some of my trips got canceled and I canceled others as the risk wasn't worth it for our family. We just canceled the Disney trip that was scheduled for this fall, so all my vacation time is going to be spent at the house - we are remote working through the end of the year.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

At least you got out. They wouldn't let me put my boat in the lake. Oh , well. You had good weather. Was the pool open there yet?

4. Sjm9911

Try for Halloween next year at disney. I cancled my trip this year. Hopefully next year it will be better. Halloween at the fort is fun.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We were actually going to Disneyland this year, although it was going to be in October when they did the Halloween decorations. We were looking forward to it, and experiencing the Star Wars area. Not sure when we will be able to reschedule - next summer we were hoping to do our long planned Australia and New Zealand trip, which will hog our vacation time for what will be a once in a lifetime trip for us. We have been to World many times though, but always resort stays, and only once since we had the pup and camping was not in the cards then.

I would like to stay at the Fort though, always looked fun. As a kid we went one time and stayed at the old treehouses they had - that was a ton of fun and I remember getting to drive a golf cart from the treehouse to the magic kingdom. My wife prefers Port Orleans when we go, although she usually finds a deal for one of the moderate or higher resorts.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. silvermickey2002

When we left on Monday, June 22nd, the pools were not open yet!

Now, since we are on the subject of trips, we just cancelled our Nashville, TN trip in August. We would have run into issues coming home to quarantine for 14 days according to the new Exec Order put in place for NJ, NY and CT. My wife does the shopping for her sister and mother (92). Our friends would miss 2 weeks of work! So Lake George works out better in the long run, much shorter drive!

We were able to get reservations for camping up in Lake George, NY. for the same week.

Were are planning for a 2 week trip to Florida in October as well, but staying with family. I have a feeling we will not be going there either! Looks like we will be home for two weeks!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Where in lake george? Its nice up there. I dont blame you. I have no idea why they didnt open the pools. They were allowed to. I might do a last minute trip up there also.

8. silvermickey2002

Actually we are staying at Moose Hillock Camping Resort in Fort Ann which is not far from Lake George. It's only about 10 mile drive to the village of Lake George. Nice CG and all bath houses are open!!! Best part it's only a 3.5-4.0 hour trip. Also, my wife is not worrying about the Tennessee heat and humidity!!! Our friends called the campground and we were lucky to get two sites next to each other. Best part is our site is next to the bathroom!!! Short walk for those early morning (before the sun comes up) bathroom walks!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Almost went there myself this year. Lol.

10. silvermickey2002

We were at an RV show in Suffern, NY about 3-4 years ago and they had a both there. We stopped and spoke with them for about 10 minutes. Their Fort Ann campground opened in 2014. Looks like a really nice place. The sites seems fairly large and spaced out with plenty of trees/brush between them. Looking forward to getting away for a week!!! Our friends just bought a new boat, so we'll get to enjoy the lake.

Sjm9911 likes this.