2020 Northern California Rally?

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by eckertsbrew, Nov 26, 2019.

1. eckertsbrew

eckertsbrew Member

Anyone up for a NorCal Rally in 2020?

Post up some ideas.

-Keith

Haybale likes this.
  2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Depends how for up north!!!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

How about central California? Codorniz Recreation Area outside of Fresno is an option. They have hookup and non- hookup sites. There are a couple loops (one no hookups and one electric/water) that could make for a nice setting. Prices are good. Dump station and showers.

Hot in summer, but nice and quiet in March.

4. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

follow4.jpg

[LOL][LOL][LOL]

Interested to see when and where this ends up. A little far for a weekend turn around for me but if it falls during kids vacations, then it might be doable.

5. Signguy707

Signguy707 Member

We would be interested in a NorCal Rally!

6. davekro

davekro Active Member

Julie and I would be interested in a NorCal Rally. Another campground possibility is one of our favorite places, Wakalu Hep Yo (Wild River) Campground.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stanislaus/recarea/?recid=14863
    It is east of Angels Camp on Hwy 4 past Big Trees, exit Hwy 4 at Dorrington.
    Directions: https://www.google.com/maps/dir//Wa...14ebc1a6c3cb2!2m2!1d-120.2147262!2d38.3234013

It would be a farther drive for So Cal folks. No hook ups. Bathrooms and showers. $25/ night. Sites are not on top of each other. ≈ 3500 feet elev. in pine trees and the Stanislaus river is a few minute hike from campground (can hear it from camp :) ), or you can drive out of the campground, across the bridge to a day use area right on the shore.

7. Toedtoes

That looks like a nice campground. Perfect for a summer rally. I'm adding it to my list of campgrounds... :)

Only consideration is that it's first come no reservations. Will that be problem for folks coming a longer distance or not being to come until Saturday?

Maybe we should narrow down the dates first? March thru April would be great for the foothills. June is iffy due to potential snow - foothills will be crowded and possibly hot; Sierra campgrounds may still be closed. July thru Sep are just right for the Sierras.

8. davekro

davekro Active Member

We usually arrive Friday at Stanislaus River. Usually plenty of spots. But not on a holiday weekend! My lais-a- fair attitude about this camp ground never being an issue to find a spot was sorely tested (ask my wife about the sorely part as I caused us to arrive at the camp at about 5:00pm, 3 hours later than planned). It was Labor Day Weekend, I learned that the campground is more popular on a holiday weekend. Who knew LOL! We got two of the last few for us and friends coming later... barely.

Non Holidays I'd say arriving by Friday evening is fine. Sat. morn. may be a challenge, IDK. But good to be aware as to when and if to Choose this place. Plus, one weekend a summer, an Indian group reserves the entire loop (90% of all sites), so that weekend is avoided. If a trip was to be planned for May or before, the Codorniz Recreation Area would be a safer choice not risking snow.

9. Signguy707

Signguy707 Member

it says closed...is that just for the winter season?

10. davekro

davekro Active Member

I have seen some campgrounds close for periods during the winter for repairs and area maintenance. Either it's this or they got some heavy rain damage that will require some repairs, to be scheduled. I think the closure would be short term.

Signguy707 likes this.
  11. Toedtoes

A lot of Sierra campgrounds close around September/October for the winter due to snow. They open between April and July depending on snow conditions.

Just thought of another campground: http://www.lakemcclure.com/index.cfm/camping1/mcclure-point/

I stayed at E loop at McClure Point last March. There are electric sites on one side of the loop and no hookups on the other. Makes it nice for folks who need cpap, etc. The loop doesn't get folks walking through it. A couple minutes walk to the water. Shower and restroom at the base of the loop. Dump station on the way out at Lake McSwain.

Sites 10-21 are on one road. Sites 1-9 are below.
    [​IMG]

Signguy707 likes this.
  12. davekro

davekro Active Member

Boy, This brings back some memories. Used to camp on 'F Loop' a lot with the Fun and Sun water ski club at Lake McClure many years ago. A wild group! ;o)

13. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

I spent the weekend at Codorniz. Nice place. I was in 26 which was nice. Beautiful sunset view to the west. The next closest spots were a decent distance away they weren't a factor. Some of the spots have shelters over the tables, some didn't. Maybe it was a space factor. Water spigot and trash cans across the road. I forgot a towel so I didn't get a chance to try out the showers. Fully self-contained so I did not need the restrooms.

Day tripped Sunday up to Yosemite via Ahwahnee (to pick up a friend.) If you do it and your GPS says to take 607 don't. Hah! Miles of dirt road. Went in the 140 entrance via Mariposa as I had never been that way. Being from the Fresno area I always went in via Oakhurst and 41.