2020 Ontario Rally Location Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Snow, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I am currently making a list of potential campgrounds to hold the following 2020 Rallies at.

4th Annual Kickoff To Summer Rally. This rally is held in May typically over the Victoria Day Weekend.

7th Annual Ontario Summer Rally. Typically held over or near the Canada Day long weekend. In 2020 Canada Day happens mid week, so chances are this rally will be pushed back to the first weekend following Canada Day due to this, this is rally will be held somewhere that is fairly central.

6th Annual Thanksgiving Gathering. Held over the (Canadian ) Thanksgiving Weekend .

Please keep in mind the unofficial suggestion that most people will drive 2hrs for each night of camping (not counting the arrival night). Would also be nice if you have camped at any of the campgrounds you suggest, so you can provide any additional info that may be required.

If you haven't attended a rally in the past due to location, here is your chance to offer up a campground closer to you. If you haven't attended a past rally due to nervousness of meeting strange internet folks.. well we don't bite..Ok we do .. but only into the great dishes brought to the potluck dinners.

Specific dates and hopefully location details for each rally will be posted prior to the New Year (as the unofficial wagonmaster needs to book vacation over a couple rally weekends).

So please take the next few weeks to share potential locations and by all means suggest which rally should be held there.

Thank You.

ccptbo likes this.
  2. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

What if we’ve not come because we’re Michiganders?

The Pinery is great (one stay), and Wildwood Conservation Area is awesome (two stays). In particular for Victoria Day in 2018, it was practically deserted other than the seasonals. The seasonals are in their own spot. I’m not sure if you get a group area, but it was pretty sizeable. Good water sports, pretty good hiking and biking, and very easy access to Stratford (shows for the adults) and reasonable to London (Storybook Gardens for the kids), and St. Mary’s (lawn bowling for everyone, when in season).

Strawhouse likes this.
  3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

My daughter lives 2 minutes from Wildwood, in St. Mary's, and works in Stratford, only 8 mins down the road. This could be a good spot, but might be a little far for some. I guess it would depend on how many people plan to show up and where they come from. Regular attendees come from Peterborough, Muskokas, and North Bay. Wildwoods is a 5-6 hour drive for some of them. On the other hand, if it comes any father east, it will be too far for you. This is where all the problems lay with trying to pick a spot. I don't normally go to the 'Kickoff To Summer' rally, however, we did spend an afternoon there this past Spring (2019) visiting the group. The rally this year was very close to where we were staying for the long weekend so we paid a visit there. I would have no problem with Wildwoods, as its only a 45 mins drive for me, but as said we don't go to the KoTS, we always go 4 1/2 hours north on that weekend, (not camping).

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Depending on where I get vacation for next year KoTS might be held at Arrowhead or if it is just a few of us, maybe out towards Pet .. . Summer rally may be pushed to weekend after Canada Day, and might end up back at Earl Rowe or even at a conservation area somewhere in that general area, since most regulars won't have a 3 day weekend.. The TGG, well not sure yet.. if the "regulars" to this are the same as the past 2 years might go to Canisbay.. not sure yet.. All depends on where I get vacation time... Who knows might even be able to "crash" your Bonnechere week...lol

5. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Not likely attending KoTS as we have found it's just too busy of a weekend for us.

The summer rally will highly depend on DS and if he has a job by then. Since he is not driving age yet....and we are encouraging him being independent and getting a job, someone needs to be around to drive him. Unfortunately, I won't drive 2 hours one way for him to work a 4 hour shift, lol. So, that's where we stand right now. We would like to attend, at the very least, the Summer Rally, as we haven't missed one yet. But we will see what happens.
    I hope everyone is enjoying their raining day.....at least it's eerie for all the ghosts and goblins!!

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Wait for the weather tonight and tomorrow..

I should know by Monday as to what weekend the summer rally will be (either pushed to the weekend after Canada Day or the weekend before) then there will be location to figure out, since it will only be a 2 day weekend for most, so a Southern Ontario location will be needed, maybe a return to the place where it all started (if so, I call dibs on the mud pit) ..

Not sure where KoTs will be next year.. Might look at a location on 69/400 route.. TGG, might return to Arrowhead or even Canisbay

7. Wrenchgear

We're picking sites already? I guess I'll take 172 again. That would be a good park so the DS can get a drive to work. A little far for me (and Snow) if its only 2 days, but we'll see how it all plays out.

8. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We are NOT claiming sites....geez. LOL. Way too early for that peeps! We got a dusting of snow early this morning but the wind knocked down power lines and trees over this area. Some are without power, we were fine though.

9. Wrenchgear

Snow called dibs on his site and got it all started, so I'm down for #172. Woot woot! When does the resi window open!? I can't wait! I'm breathing heavy already! Come on, come on, come on ......
    Yes, we woke up to snow here this morning too. The wind was brutal last night, and the lights flickered a few times, but stayed on. It's still cold and white out there right now.

ccptbo likes this.
  10. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

As you know, I’m used to driving farther, so Wildwoods would work for me.

11. Strawhouse

You tell them, Mel!

ccptbo likes this.
  12. algonquingirl

algonquingirl Active Member

While I enjoyed Restoule, it was a long ass drive for me. 5 hours each way. I won’t go that far north again when it’s KoTs. Depending on my new job I may not be able to leave the city until Saturday Morning so closer to TO would be ideal for me. I don’t mind Peterpatch as it’s only 2 hours away. If the Canada Day campground is close enough I may head there but it will be a very short weekend for me as I have camp until 4 on Friday and start at 7 on Monday.

I ventured to a few new parks this summer and I loved Albion Hills! It’s in Caledon (which is an hour north of Toronto) but a beautiful park. It has hydro and water on the sites. Shower house is a little far and only has two stalls but still nice. What about in the Kawartha Lakes area? Some nice parks there or on the west side of the 400?

13. algonquingirl

I enjoyed meeting you at Restoule. Barley got to know Snow as he disappeared most of the weekend lol

Wrenchgear likes this.
  14. Strawhouse

...in the constant rain![LOL][LOL][LOL]

15. algonquingirl

What rain? It rained? I know I got to swim a bit lol

ccptbo likes this.
  16. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

I’ve always liked Ivy lea campground

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

This park use to be my "backyard campground" .. It could be a possibliity for the Summer Rally .. When time comes (sometime next week) I'll toss out a few possible locations.. Keeping in mind it is a 2 day weekend, and the general concensus that most will tow up to 1.5 hours for each night of camping..

algonquingirl likes this.
  18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

A dusting.?? we got snow... Almost needed too get the plow out again this morning ...

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ok so here are the possible dates for the Ontario Summer Rally.. July 3-5 or July 10-12 ... Those dates are Friday-Sunday.. Location ideas still to come, have to look into a few locations then I'll post 3-5 possible locations .. Hope everyone will voice their opinion and select 1 campground.. I will try to post links to all the parks,,

20. Wrenchgear

Ok, so this took some looking at the calendar. If the park was to be in the southern part of Ont., then I would be looking at the 3-5 weekend. However, if it was on the east side of highway 86, then 10-12 would be preferred. If its more north, but south of the 400, then 6-9 would be good. Now then, if it was going to be more north west, like between Ottawa and Hamilton, we could do either weekend. Owen Sound to Perry Sound, we could do 1 night only on the 10-12. If Burger World is involved, I'll be there regardless of when it is, but I won't be having the poutine. I really don't want to go any higher north than Lucknow, but no farther south than Amberley. Whew, glad I was able to clear that all up. Thats my vote!