2021 Ontario Summer Rally Location Ideas

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Snow, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ok so throwing this out there earlier then normal (before the 2020 summer rally has even ended) due to the recent discussions here on the Portal. So this IS the time to speak up, not June next year.

Before you make a suggestion, take into consideration the following.
    1) Canada Day 2021 is on a Thursday, so for many it will only be a 2 day weekend (like this year).
    2) Due to #1 above, location shouldn't be more then 1.5 hours East or West of the 400 highway.
    3) Again due to #1, location should not be more then 35 -45 minutes North of Barrie.
    4) #2 &#3 are taking into consideration the drive times people from KW, Hamilton,Burlington, GTA, Peterborough, Sudbury etc who may want to attend..

5) Locations further outside the above box (if drawn on a map) will be considered when a 3 day weekend is involved again in 2022,2023 and 2024.

And go...

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ok, well I guess I'll be the first one to start this off. This might be slightly more than 45 mins from Barrie, but only by a few minutes. My crew really liked Arrowhead last year and said they would love to go back there again. Not sure how far of a drive that is for CCTPBO, but I would do it for a 2 day weekend.

It has a couple of great beaches
    I can go fishing there
    There's some good walking trails
    Good biking there

Snow likes this.
  3. Chrismtl

Chrismtl Active Member

Arrowhead *might* be possible for us IF we get the week off. For me it would be a close to 6hr drive, so 3 or less days is not worth it for us (3 kids and a dog makes for a longer than advertised drive). I will keep my eye on this thread and look for other options. I love the idea of being able to fish as it is one of my favorite pastimes, too bad I couldn't bring the boat and camper.

scrt95019 likes this.
  4. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We are game for Arrowhead, as well. We love this park and it's not too bad of a drive.

That said...we've also never been to Bass Lake PP and willing to give that go, as well. Oastler PP is another option.

scrt95019 likes this.
  5. Chrismtl

Chrismtl Active Member

I know it blows the distance aspect out of the water, but what about Bon Echo (maybe even a different rally?)

Strawhouse likes this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Bon echo would be good for a 3 day long weekend, but for a 2 day it's a bit far and then some would have to contend with traffic through Toronto on a friday evening.. Believe it or not, it's easier to head north into cottage country with all that traffic then it is to get across through Toronto.

ccptbo likes this.
  7. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Bon Echo is a beautiful park, so I've been told. It's much like Charleston Lake and Arrowhead....hard to get into, unless you are on the ball and even then, it's stupid crazy to try to get into.
    You may have more luck in September at Bon Echo. And depending on when, we would be willing to make the trek in September/early October for 2021.

Strawhouse, Snow and Chrismtl like this.
  8. Chrismtl

Chrismtl Active Member

I've heard about the Toronto traffic.. I've been there 3 times and planned the arrival and departure for Thursday morning and Tuesday morning respectively to avoid as much as possible. Couldn't imagine it while towing! Looking forward to hopefully meeting a bunch of pup enthusiasts, one day.

Strawhouse and ccptbo like this.
  9. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Are we allowed if we once had a pup, no longer have a pup, but think of the good times in our pup....lol???

Strawhouse and Chrismtl like this.
  10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Think out of our little group here I have towed through the most cities and downtown's.. I've towed through downtown Brampton, Niagara Falls (both sides of the border), Perry N.Y Corning N.Y, Barrie, Collingwood all these small cities and towns, that is right through town . For larger cities like toronto, ottawa, columbus, cincinnati, nashville and several others it has been on the highways .. No city seems to have as bad of traffic as Toronto and yes I've towed multiple time across the 401 through the mess. It is not fun and adds several hours to a trip.. heck on one of my fridays last year took 45 minutes from Pearson airport to the 400 ramp at 810 in the morning.. should only take 15 minutes...

That is why we limit the distance east or west of the 400 and try as much as possible to keep it above hwy 9 to the west and hwy 7 to the east as it allows the option to bypass toront and the 401, 403.

Exact dates and location will get confirmed Hopefully by late November, I suspect I'll be using vacation again..

For now throw out possibilities, the only 2 parks black listed right now are Sibbald and Earl Rowe..

Larry Alexander likes this.
  11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, for as 'nice' as Earl Rowe is, there's really nothing to do there. Nice huge lots (mine anyway), tons of privacy (in the Heydon Way loop), multiple comfort stations all close by, BUT, nothing to do. Beach and water are disgusting with tons of goose poop, have to pay to use the over crowded pool (not even open this covid year), no fishing, no walking/biking trails as such, no geocaching in the immediate area of the park, 7:00 AM train riles all the neighboring kiddos (and me) out of bed so there's no real sleeping in ........ I liked the 2 rallys we had there, but don't really need to go back there for a while.

ccptbo likes this.
  12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Not planning a return visit anytime soon... I would actually return to Sleepy Hallow first,

13. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Sleepy Hollow?? Really? I'd go back to Earl Rowe first....lol

Strawhouse likes this.
  14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sleepy Hallow has a beach and at least you can swim in the lake.. But as I said, not in a hurry to return..

ccptbo likes this.
  15. Team RDR

Team RDR New Member

Hi All,
    Taking the criteria outlined above into consideration and looking at the Prov. parks map...
    Here is "My Two Cents" (as the newbie here):
    - Has anyone considered McRae Point? It's a nice little park...IMHO.
    - I know its farther out... But any considerations towards MacGregor?
    - I remember tent camping years ago at Sibbald ... I see its been "Black Listed"... I thought it was nice?
    - I've not been to Bass Lake yet...
    - Earl Rowe is Not our favorite.
    - We're a stone's throw to Bronte and its really nothing to write home about on the camping side of the park. However, if you drive around to the Day Use side its really nice. Just a real pity that you can't get from one side of the park to the other without a 10 min drive...
    - Wassaga? Craigielth? Spingwater? Six Mile?
    - Any thoughts to private campgrounds as oppose to Provincial Parks? Or is that a Newbie No-No?
    Cheers, -R

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We actually did Mcrae a few years ago for the Kickoff to Summer Rally .. it was ok..
    Bass Lake, 6 Mile are on the card, I don't mind Craigleith, others who like to bask on the beach won't like it as much but they can park for free at wasaga beach 1 for free.. guess technically Oastler and even Awenda would fit the bill.

So far we have steered away from private parks and conservation areas largely due to the short resi window they have..

17. Strawhouse

Strawhouse I miss my Camping Family... Gold Supporting Member

Gee, I guess I could handle the 20min trip! ;)
    This might work for another long weekend—maybe for May 24 or Thanksgiving.
    These also works for me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  18. Strawhouse

Strawhouse I miss my Camping Family... Gold Supporting Member

Agreed!

ccptbo likes this.
  19. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Mel (CCPTBO)

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Bronte is one park that you'd think would be open all year.. has heated dump stations, water fill and heated comfort stations... but NO.... been a pet peeve of a lot of people for years..

ccptbo likes this.
  21. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Alright, two weeks on and outside of parks some of us had already discussed not much new, so changing this slightly.. seeing how next year, once again Canada Day is mid week .. I assume most will want or prefer the Rally gets pushed to the weekend following? Rather then moved up into June.. Still have 3 months to decide on this, but will help determine the rough area in which we'll hold the Rally.

ccptbo likes this.