2021 Towing Miles

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by xxxapache, Jan 1, 2022.

1. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I did the math for my primary TV for the year. I only drove it 8900 miles. 2800 were towing the TT. 1100 were towing the boat. 100 or so were towing a dump trailer. I think that works out to about 45% of the annual miles being with something on the hitch.

It's a one ton truck. I could get by with a properly equipped 1/2 ton and good WDH for the TT. A compact pickup, even a 4 cylinder, would pull the boat. However, those 6 short trips I pulled the dump trailer I had between 12k and 15k behind me. I needed a big truck.

2. xxxapache

Somebody move this to Tow Vehicles please.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

So long as most of those miles were camping you did good. [:D]. Make it earn it's keep. If I listed everything I put my SUV through it would probably shudder, but she has done well and still holding strong. Well worth the money I paid. To me that is more important, to physically use something fully that you paid good money for.

Happy new year.

Sjm9911 and xxxapache like this.
  4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

be careful with dump runs, it is easy to get too much mass in the trailer and put yourself at risk of sway on the highway (speaking frm my own scary experience)

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We learned with our first pup, the hard way, to keep tabs on towing mileage. This post made me add the numbers for 2021. We towed 4750 miles in 2021; it would have been another 1000 if we'd taken the trip in November. We'll see how 2022 goes.

6. xxxapache

I was talking about a trailer with a hydraulic dump bed, not a trailer full of junk headed to the dump...lol. It was built by design to handle very heavy loads. The way its built, it would be tough to put too much weight behind the axles. Most of the trailer is in front of the front tires. There is very little trailer behind the rear tires.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I did 2800 miles of towing with my popup last year. I drove the vehicle 4000 miles in that time. I total about 8000 miles a year between my two vehicles (2008 Outback XT, and 1995 Bronco 5.8L XLT). The Bronco will get about 5500 miles on it this year, so that works out to mean I tow with it about 50% of its miles. The rest of its miles come from when I need a general utility vehicle, or when the snow is really deep. The rest of the time (including average snowfall, and skiing in the winter) I drive the Outback.

I work from home, so no commute. Just some nearby school pick-ups and drop-offs every day.

8. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

We did just under 2000 miles of towing the camper this year. My poor old Expedition didn't know what hit it this summer ;)

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, you made me count. About 4200 miles towing this year! ( the disney trip added half that). I never thought about millage. But I know we took a few long trips this year. And cancled some also.

xxxapache likes this.
  10. xxxapache

I don't have to count. My primary TV stores info for up to 10 trailers. I make a note of the mileages at the beginning of a new year.

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We only towed on one trip last year, about 750 miles round trip. Some of it was squiggly at an angle if that counts for anything (Trinity Alps back country). :p

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.